Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alex on Autos interview...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 08:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

When you tear down people that you don't care for, like Clarkson...that is disrespectful to those who don't share your view. If I had to choose between Alex and Jeremy Clarkson...I would choose Jeremy Clarkson without hesitation. Thats the beauty of it though...I don't have to choose.

You can prefer one thing over the other without insulting that which you don't prefer. Every discussion of Alex doesnt have to turn into a name calling fest about Clarkson.
Old 08-28-20, 08:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
When you tear down people that you don't care for, like Clarkson...that is disrespectful to those who don't share your view. If I had to choose between Alex and Jeremy Clarkson...I would choose Jeremy Clarkson without hesitation. Thats the beauty of it though...I don't have to choose.

You can prefer one thing over the other without insulting that which you don't prefer. Every discussion of Alex doesnt have to turn into a name calling fest about Clarkson.

I understand Clarkson's popularity, but I'm am certainly not alone, even on Car Chat, in not being impressed with his style....although I've already shown what I thought was one of his best videos.

OK....ready to go back to Alex? (thread topic).
Old 08-28-20, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then just don't tear him down off topic in a thread that has nothing to do with him. You're the one who brought him up here.

I think its interesting about Alex, he's been trying to come up with a new intro and have more fun with his channel (watch his Rolls Royce Wraith video), and if you read the comments to his FB posts people are complaining about it. I think he has recently made his channel his full time job, and I think you will find that he starts trying to inject more personality to get more views.
Old 08-28-20, 11:33 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You should do some research into Jay Leno. Stroock touched on it in his post above. Jay Leno is NOT a nice guy, he stepped on and ruined a lot of people to get where he is. I never once one minute of the Jay Leno Tonight Show after he did what he did to Conan.
it's more like... jay leno is NOT a nice guy, if you're trying to tell jokes at 11pm on NBC when he's also trying to tell jokes at 11pm on NBC

howard stern is always the funniest about leno
Old 08-28-20, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it's more like... jay leno is NOT a nice guy, if you're trying to tell jokes at 11pm on NBC when he's also trying to tell jokes at 11pm on NBC
I would hardly rate David Letterman any better in the "nicety" department. And as far as jokes went, Leno was at least even and fair-minded, unlike his rivals.

Anyhow, back to Alex. Let's just hope that he doesn't let increasing fame and exposure go to his head...we see enough of that as it is. He's still arguably the best reviewer I've seen yet.
Old 08-28-20, 02:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You don’t know the story lol. They literally wrote books about what Leno did to snake the Tonight show job. And what he did to get it back from Conan. Letterman is a much better person, much more respected. Their comedy is just Schtick.

Like anything else, a YouTube channel is a business. I hope for his stake he can make some changes and make more money.
Old 08-28-20, 03:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Well done Alex...."body on frame isolates people better from noise"
Old 08-29-20, 10:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, Alex is probably the best auto reviewer I've seen yet.
as you've written in about every post about him.

Hard to say who's the worst.......Jeremy Clarkson, Brock Yates (who IMO was a moron), and some of the newspaper-auto-reviewers all rank up there.
this was off-topic, and derailed the thread. thanks.

i've deleted several completely off-topic recent posts by several people.

Anyhow, back to Alex. ... He's still arguably the best reviewer I've seen yet.
there you go again.

to all: this thread isn't about jeremy clarkson, jay leno, david letterman (also a car guy by the way), conan o'brien, tonight show wars, or politics.

if you don't want to comment on the alex on autos interview, or him in general, don't post.
Old 08-29-20, 10:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

about alex on autos, he's clearly realized now his channel and video audience is very limited because he's as interesting to watch as drying paint. his videos are definitely informative though, if you can get through them. i've told him directly that he should consider doing 2 versions, a long version and a short version. i bet short versions would get 10x the views.

there's nothing wrong with people wanting to be entertained while getting relevant information.

he used to do the entertaining trunk gimmick by getting IN the trunk or uv rear cargo area and closing the door. it was great. he apparently stopped after a manufacturer complained.
Old 08-29-20, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there you go again.
about alex on autos, he's clearly realized now his channel and video audience is very limited.
With all due respect, there YOU go again. His audience may be limited, but it has high standards.

(This comment was not brought up to be rude to a moderator, but to illustrate a point).

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-29-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-29-20, 12:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

With all due respect, there YOU go again. His audience may be limited, but it has high standards.
not sure what you mean, just stating a fact. here's a sample of popular reviewers and their subscriber counts - many have VERY high standards, but that doesn't mean they have to be boring.

subscribers:
asian petrolhead: 96k - pretty new and limited by focusing on korean cars but good reviews and he drives the cars hard
car confections: 161k - 2 young guys (brother i think) - hard to believe they've been at it 7 years, the look about 12 lol
alex on autos: 363k - detailed, just the facts
savagegeese: 401k - geeky, sarcastic, looks UNDER the car too
matt moran motoring: 415k - details, just the facts, but also does joint reviews with his wife, good alternative perspectives
kelley blue book: 559k - lighthearted but informative
winding road magazine: 695k
redline reviews: 781k - detailed
carfection: 847k
throttle house: 895k
the fast lane car: 941k
the smoking tire: 982k
the straight pipes: 1.1M - light hearted but detailed reviews by pair of (different) car enthusiasts, excellent production quality
doug demuro: 3.7M - detailed and famous quirks and features and humor

(This comment was not brought up to be rude to a moderator, but to illustrate a point).
didn't find it rude, but don't know your point.

anyway, alex on autos is great, i follow him on facebook where he posts a lot of stuff that's not on youtube.
but many others are great too... we're very fortunate to live in a time of such amazingly great and free content.
Old 08-29-20, 12:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

not sure what you mean, just stating a fact. here's a sample of popular reviewers and their subscriber counts - many have VERY high standards, but that doesn't mean they have to be boring.

subscribers:
asian petrolhead: 96k - pretty new and limited by focusing on korean cars but good reviews and he drives the cars hard
car confections: 161k - 2 young guys (brother i think) - hard to believe they've been at it 7 years, the look about 12 lol
alex on autos: 363k - detailed, just the facts
savagegeese: 401k - geeky, sarcastic, looks UNDER the car too
matt moran motoring: 415k - details, just the facts, but also does joint reviews with his wife, good alternative perspectives
kelley blue book: 559k - lighthearted but informative
winding road magazine: 695k
redline reviews: 781k - detailed
carfection: 847k
throttle house: 895k
the fast lane car: 941k
the smoking tire: 982k
the straight pipes: 1.1M - light hearted but detailed reviews by pair of (different) car enthusiasts, excellent production quality
doug demuro: 3.7M - detailed and famous quirks and features and humordidn't find it rude, but don't know your point.

anyway, alex on autos is great, i follow him on facebook where he posts a lot of stuff that's not on youtube.
but many others are great too... we're very fortunate to live in a time of such amazingly great and free content.
Straight pipes and Throttle house are much newer with many more subs. They are far more entertaining but less informative. They are much more catered to driving enthusiasts as both review cars that are typically much higher end. Also Thomas is a track instructor as his daily job so he is a much better driver than the typical reviewer. Jacob in Straight Pipes is also a pretty decent track driver. I watch everybody though
Old 08-29-20, 12:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

here's a sample of popular reviewers and their subscriber counts - many have VERY high standards, but that doesn't mean they have to be boring.
I haven't sampled every single auto-reviewer on the Internet or You-Tube (if I did, I would never get any sleep LOL). I just think Alex is the best of anyone I have seen so far. I tried to make that clear in earlier posts, but perhaps that point did not get across.

Old 08-29-20, 12:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

about alex on autos, he's clearly realized now his channel and video audience is very limited because he's as interesting to watch as drying paint. his videos are definitely informative though, if you can get through them. i've told him directly that he should consider doing 2 versions, a long version and a short version. i bet short versions would get 10x the views.

there's nothing wrong with people wanting to be entertained while getting relevant information.

he used to do the entertaining trunk gimmick by getting IN the trunk or uv rear cargo area and closing the door. it was great. he apparently stopped after a manufacturer complained.
The problem with Alex however, is that he goes in such mundane tirades over the most irrelevant details on the most similar cars, like listing rear headroom on 10 virtually the same disposable cute utes where the difference is within a fraction of an inch. Do peoples seriously care about this?
Old 08-29-20, 01:12 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

The closest reviewer to Alex is Thomas from Autogefühl, but Thomas's videos are much less rigidly structured. The higher production values help too.

Quick Reply: Alex on Autos interview...