Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Guess which Benz I just bought?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 04:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At first, I would have guessed Ford as the largest truck maker, as they make everything from Rangers to big commercial F-750s, but if the numbers say Mercedes, then so be it.
I don't know who is the biggest truck manufacturer by volume, but Mercedes has the biggest truck factory in the world. And Ford F series aren't real trucks, they are redneck toys - Mercedes makes real trucks. https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/vehicles/trucks/
Old 09-01-20, 04:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't know who is the biggest truck manufacturer by volume, but Mercedes has the biggest truck factory in the world. And Ford F series aren't real trucks, they are redneck toys - Mercedes makes real trucks. https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/vehicles/trucks/

OK, I see.....you were refering to the plant-size, not actual truck numbers.

I won't get into F-series demographics...I see all different kinds of people driving them, primarily male but also some female. Many local companies and contractors, in this area, depend on them day and night.
Old 09-01-20, 04:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Och congrats, why all the vans?
Old 09-01-20, 04:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, I see.....you were refering to the plant-size, not actual truck numbers.

I won't get into F-series demographics...I see all different kinds of people driving them, primarily male but also some female. Many local companies and contractors, in this area, depend on them day and night.
Hey, I was just kidding with the redneck remark of course. You might recall years ago I had a Ford E350 diesel van that was my only vehicle that survived hurricane Sandy, in fact probably the only vehicle that survived in my whole area. For weeks to come during the aftermath of the storm it was my source of heat, electricity and transportation - and unlike regular gas shortages, diesel fuel for it was actually relatively easy to get.

That being said, Ford doesn't make large trucks, while MB makes all sorts of large trucks including 18 wheelers.
Old 09-01-20, 04:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Och congrats, why all the vans?
They are work vehicles of course, I almost never drive them myself anymore.
Old 09-01-20, 04:55 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

the latest car and driver has an article on H-point seating position and these vans have the highest commanding seat position, even more so above a full size pick up (stock of course)! congrats on the purchase.

is it a turbo 4-cyl? i would imagine so for the low end torque needed to haul.
Old 09-01-20, 05:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
the latest car and driver has an article on H-point seating position and these vans have the highest commanding seat position, even more so above a full size pick up (stock of course)! congrats on the purchase.

is it a turbo 4-cyl? i would imagine so for the low end torque needed to haul.
Yes, a 2.0 turbo 4 cyl, and with 9 speed transmission and whatever gear ratios they are using, it doesn't struggle at all.
Old 09-01-20, 06:30 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Love the Sprinters and Metris-es. Especially love what all the various owner groups have done to make them supremely functional.

I had a great opportunity to see their facility down in Charleston a few years ago.

Wish they would bring the Metrics 4Matic over here.
Old 09-01-20, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

A friend had a factory converted large sprinter camper van (winnebego i think), which had issues (mostly not winnebego's fault except a flakey awning, but the diesel engine urea system decided to dump the entire contents into the exhaust system ruining it).

They sold the big sprinter and bought a smaller regular one and he did the conversion himself. He's really talented and it came out great, they go all over north america in it.
Old 09-01-20, 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
They are work vehicles of course, I almost never drive them myself anymore.
Understood, what kind of work?
Old 09-01-20, 08:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

A friend had a factory converted large sprinter camper van (winnebego i think), which had issues (mostly not winnebego's fault except a flakey awning, but the diesel engine urea system decided to dump the entire contents into the exhaust system ruining it).

They sold the big sprinter and bought a smaller regular one and he did the conversion himself. He's really talented and it came out great, they go all over north america in it.
Well, I had the 2014 sprinter for 5 years - I bought it new in 2015, and nothing ever went wrong with it except urea system pump that ended up costing me $1200. This time I decided to with gas - it is $6k cheaper before taxes, less complicated, and in NY regular gas has been consistently cheaper than diesel. The old van has relatively low 47k miles, but they are hard miles in NYC traffics, so I decided to get the new one and sell the old. These trucks hold their value exceptionally well - I already had a wholesale company offer me 17.5k for it sight unseen.
Old 09-01-20, 08:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Understood, what kind of work?
Specialty construction.
Old 09-01-20, 08:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Specialty construction.
nice. I hope you and your biz haven't been impacted too terribly by COVID.
Old 09-01-20, 09:29 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Yes, a 2.0 turbo 4 cyl, and with 9 speed transmission and whatever gear ratios they are using, it doesn't struggle at all.
put some stuff in the back and you’ll feel the struggle and mpg loss is real vs the diesel
Old 09-02-20, 01:22 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Mercedes Benz actually owns the biggest truck factory in the world, and they make a full line of commercial trucks - something many people forget or not ever know.
most people definitely don't know, or know that a diesel e-class is a common taxi in other parts of the world... and that definitely plays a major role in how mercedes has successfully created this mystique and allure about the brand as a whole, people hear mercedes and still get excited

also i was gonna guess sprinter but you said not the biggest 2 seater they make, were you actually including an 18-wheeler truck cab in that size range lol

i totally love mercedes trucks... until recently the g-wagen was about the only proper 4x4 one could get, and i'm completely a sucker for the AMG 6x6 and unimog

Quick Reply: Guess which Benz I just bought?