Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Welp, I'm finally done with my car-buying saga...BMW X2 M35i!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-20, 08:53 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
that's encouraging to hear. i really don't mind if it has to visit the dealer here and there because i'm sure it won't leave me stranded, but a check engine light may pop up over the course of the few years that i own it and i'm fine with them keeping the car for a few days and giving me a loaner. it's worth it - a worthy trade off if that happens to be the case.
Ain't that the truth. Who cares if you get supreme reliability if the ride is boring. Couple times where you are inconvenienced is worth the fun. Besides, most of my friends haven't really had many issues with their BMWs. I thought the way this forum talks about them, they would be on the side of the road their first day out of warranty. Just relax and have fun and go smoke some Lexus just for fun
Old 09-03-20, 10:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Congrats! I love the lower center of gravity on this. The motor is strong. And it looks fantastic in what looks like Alpine White to me
Old 09-03-20, 11:51 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Ain't that the truth. Who cares if you get supreme reliability if the ride is boring. Couple times where you are inconvenienced is worth the fun. Besides, most of my friends haven't really had many issues with their BMWs. I thought the way this forum talks about them, they would be on the side of the road their first day out of warranty. Just relax and have fun and go smoke some Lexus just for fun
you know, it's really incredible the amount of power that bmw has made this 2l achieve and whether or not that will live as long as a lexus 2l engine like isn't the point because bmw has created an engine that will certainly last the length of the warranty term at very least and more likely will last much longer than that. i kept reading about how much lexus really needs to improve upon their performance division which is a joke with the few f cars and the lc500 that exist. i mean, having driven the older gsf as well are the newer rcf, the naturally aspirated power is different, i'll give lexus that, but the cars still don't feel fast. they feel powerful but they aren't fast and the certainly aren't nimble which is exactly what a ton of buyers are looking for, me included or else i would have initially wound up at a lexus dealership once more. i dunno, lexus isn't doing bad sales wise, so props to them for being able to keep afloat and making their mantra the making of some of the most durable cars in the world. akio toyoda is trying to change things, but change at lexus is always behind the german competition save for its very inception when the very first ls put the germans in their place for a brief moment in time. the ls today? it's a sad flagship but the ship is definitely not sinking. infiniti, on the other hand...

i will say though that these sorts of m performance cars that aren't full-on m cars are more livable and more usable as you can really have fun with a lot of their full potential without having to visit the track and you don't have bone-jarring ride quality that you fine on some m cars. i'm basing this off of the last generation's m3 that i was able to be driven in and felt it was certainly very powerful but that a lot of that power would go unused and the suspension setup in that particular car felt more track oriented than daily drivable. i dunno about the other newer m cars, but i did read online in one of the major publications -- road and track maybe? that these m performance model are certainly much more daily drivable than their m car cousins. that said, 0-60 in 4.5 seconds is pretty damn good.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Congrats! I love the lower center of gravity on this. The motor is strong. And it looks fantastic in what looks like Alpine White to me
Thank you!

hoovey - it's alpine white. the stupidddd dealership drilled holes into the front bumper so i had to purchase bumper plugs yesterday off the bumper plug website in alpine white. i do not have any idea why a dealership would drill holes into the front bumper of a brand new vehicle costing north of 50k but they did and it drives me nuts! they had three m35is on the lot and one was in alpine white while another was black and yet the last was dark grey. i chosen white because i thought the vehicle itself looked elegant in the color, because the summer in the valley gets hot and finally because it's sure as hell of a lot easier to take care of than black or dark grey, black especially -- what a nightmare. i have to have its paint corrected slightly before i have the ppf installed because it has to be juuuuuusst right or else it'll drive me nuts lol.

Last edited by davyjordi; 09-04-20 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-04-20, 06:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

CPO warranty right? What are the terms? (Length/miles) I read you won't be keeping it after the warranty period, but if you really love it would you consider a warranty extension?
its still on their website...

Last edited by bagwell; 09-04-20 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-04-20, 06:29 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A good all-arounder for sure given the other cars that you had. Congrats!
Old 09-04-20, 07:00 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
CPO warranty right? What are the terms? (Length/miles) I read you won't be keeping it after the warranty period, but if you really love it would you consider a warranty extension?
its still on their website...

it didn't come with a cpo warranty initially, but i asked them to certify the car because, well, i wanted an extra year of warranty coverage should i really like the vehicle and want to keep it for a longer period of time and they totally agreed. the dealership personnel can be a bit snobby at this particular store, but if you ask them to do something, they'll do it. so yeah, they certified the car at no additional charge.

i mean, the car is essentially brand new. it has 4k miles on it, so i'm happy.

and are you asking about the terms of the loan or the terms of the warranty? the warranty extends into 2025 i believe with unlimited mileage and the loan is a four year loan and my payments are 303 a month. not bad at all. so, with regard to purchasing an extended warranty, i feel like by the time 2025 comes i'm going to be pining over something new that's on the market, so i'll probably trade it in for whatever's caught my eye. and since it's still on the website, did you see the price? like 43.9k? that's damn good for the way this car is specced and the trim level that it is. like 4k miles on a well-optioned 2020 x2 m35i for 44k? great deal in my mind and was also a great deal according to kbb and cargurus.

Last edited by davyjordi; 09-04-20 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-04-20, 07:04 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pbm317
A good all-arounder for sure given the other cars that you had. Congrats!
thanks so much! definitely a multi-tasking/versatile upgrade and very fun one at that!
Old 09-04-20, 09:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats - can’t go wrong with Alpine White!

Old 09-04-20, 10:06 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Congrats - can’t go wrong with Alpine White!
thank you! i really wanted white because of the ease of care. it's just so much easier to care for. also, in the summer the car is cooler than darker colored cars and people think it's not by any significant degree, but i really is having owned both dark-colored cars as well as light ones, the lighter ones are definitely cooler.
Old 09-04-20, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy it
Old 09-04-20, 07:42 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

lol don't hate, arentz! i've been a lexus owner my entire life - nothing but slow albeit reliable machines. the lexus is gone! i'm no longer a lexus owner! anyhow, i fully expect the bmw to be in the shop a handful of times during my ownership of the machine and believe me i am not keeping this thing after the warranty is up. this, however, is a sub 5 second car, i believe at 4.5 seconds to 60 according to car and driver and boy do you feel it. it's quite the welcomed change from the 2l turbo that i had in the is 300 rwd f-sport even with the tom's tuning box attached which made it quick but not fast. this bmw is fast.

as for the looks, it really does look A LOT better without the body cladding. it looks like a different vehicle really, and that's what was one main motivating factor to get rid of all of these other cars that i had and consolidate to just one fun hot cuv/hatch thing.

Yeah it's amazing what some power will do to change the driving experience. For me at the end of the day, the Lexus IS that I owned served its purpose of letting me experience the whole sport sedan thing without worrying too much about reliability. I enjoyed owning it. I've moved on to what many have feared would be unreliable due to VW's reputation, but if you actually ask owners, Mk7 Golfs are actually quite decent outside of some early models with faulty water pumps and themostats which have since been revised for future models. Other than that, and the occasional rattles, it's actually solid. But, most cars are nowadays. Technology has come a long way. German or Japanese, I don't think you can really go wrong. There are things about the Lexus I miss, but I will say from the few VW and BMW vehicles I've driven, there's clearly a personality there I vibe with.

Congrats again, hope you enjoy it lots!
Old 09-04-20, 07:57 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

thank you! i really wanted white because of the ease of care. it's just so much easier to care for. also, in the summer the car is cooler than darker colored cars and people think it's not by any significant degree, but i really is having owned both dark-colored cars as well as light ones, the lighter ones are definitely cooler.
I had 2 Alpine White BMWs - that paint is magic as it is so durable against scratches and rock chips.
Almost any damage i had i was able to buff out and car looked like new. This is from me daily driving them and parking on the streets in NYC lol
Old 09-05-20, 02:36 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07

Yeah it's amazing what some power will do to change the driving experience. For me at the end of the day, the Lexus IS that I owned served its purpose of letting me experience the whole sport sedan thing without worrying too much about reliability. I enjoyed owning it. I've moved on to what many have feared would be unreliable due to VW's reputation, but if you actually ask owners, Mk7 Golfs are actually quite decent outside of some early models with faulty water pumps and themostats which have since been revised for future models. Other than that, and the occasional rattles, it's actually solid. But, most cars are nowadays. Technology has come a long way. German or Japanese, I don't think you can really go wrong. There are things about the Lexus I miss, but I will say from the few VW and BMW vehicles I've driven, there's clearly a personality there I vibe with.

Congrats again, hope you enjoy it lots!
thanks, arentz! i really do hope that the vehicle is reliable. i can say that it is such a blast to drive. i drove it for a good two hours today both running errands and on the highway for a bit. the throttle is much touchier than the lexus' to which i'm comparing it to because that was the vehicle that i was driving last on a daily basis. also, the transmission feels great, although it does sort of feel like a dsg but it's not, as the m35i variants got an 8-speed automatic with a torque converter, i believe. there is a lot of technical information that i need to figure out and read up on to truly understand the amazing design of the car.

you're absolutely right that cars across the board have made huge strides with regard to reliability and dependability. the car is solidly built in my personal initial quality survey (n=1) and i find that the interior materials are outstanding if not opulent. this is a bmw, after all, and they aren't known for their opulent interiors, but more so their teutonic functionality. however everything is ergonomically well laid out and classy looking if not completely elegant.

i know that some people find the suspension set up to be a bit too firm, although living in southern california where the roads are in quite nice shape, i haven't found this to be bothersome. nor have i the sound levels within the car. i actually find this variant of the x2 significantly quieter over the xdrive28i variant that i had initially picked out so i'm wondering if more sound deadening material was used in parts of the cabin to keep out engine noise to a certain degree as well as exhaust drone from the m sport exhaust? i'm not sure, but this car is definitely quieter than the xdrive28i. i will say, however, that it's not as quiet as the lexus is300 fsport that was traded in. lexus really does a great job isolating you from the world around and that's one of their biggest draws as they do provide quite the luxurious experience even with their entry-level vehicles.

anyway, last takeaway from the past two days is the damn shifter. i cannot stand the non-traditional shifter. i don't mind push button shifters and i don't mind column tesla-style shifters, and the traditional prnd shifter is preferred but this funky electronic shifter i still haven't gotten used to because unless i'm consciously thinking about it, i inevitably put the car into reverse when trying to put it into park because that's what's been asked of me over the course of my driving lifetime. now i have to push a damn park button?! insanity! also, i'll inadvertently put the car into drive trying to put it into reverse. now i've only been living with this shifter for about a week now w both the xdrive28i and now the m35i and i'm absolutely sure i'll get used to it, but it's annoying right now when i'm making mistakes due to previous experience all on the prnd-type shifters.

oh, and the tech in the car is amazing! this is my first car, believe it or not, with apple carplay and i'm in love. haha.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I had 2 Alpine White BMWs - that paint is magic as it is so durable against scratches and rock chips.
Almost any damage i had i was able to buff out and car looked like new. This is from me daily driving them and parking on the streets in NYC lol
oh, wow, you parked it on the mean streets of nyc? i lived there for about seven years as i attended grad school in the city at columbia and then wound up staying because the city is so mesmerizing. i lived in little italy in lower manhattan. do you still live in the city?

and i loooove white paint because of the ease of care. i am going to have the front bumper covered in ppf just because i don't want any larger rocks hitting the bumper cover and me going nuts over the marks and chips left but i'm not going to cover the entire front end of the car as the bmw service department where i stopped because they gave me a bottle of touch-up paint as part of the buying process told me that they rarely see stone chips on their crossovers' hoods and/or a-pillars/mirrors. they said if i'm going to protect anything, to protect the front bumper, so that's what i'm going to do and was planning on doing anyhow.
Old 09-05-20, 02:45 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

oh, one more thing. on the x2 bmw forums, people talk about tuning the m35i and i almost feel like wtf!? why? like, the car has plenty of power and the power comes on very quickly so if you're driving it around town sometimes you have to be careful with the throttle so as not to lurch forward. i mean, clearly i'm still learning how to drive this car as i'm driving it as i would the lexus, but i don't think this car is left wanting for power, although owners certainly do seem to be. it's kinda bizarre because it's like 4.5 to 60 sec vehicle and it's fast, it's not just quick, the car is genuinely fast. being an m-performance variant and not a true m car i feel is quite enough for daily usage but i guess some people clearly think differently... which begs the question what in the hell are they doing with these ultra high horsepower crossovers that they are creating? like, it's a crossover. i get that you can lower it and turn it into an expensive hot hatch essentially, but the suspension is set up nicely as it is and if you leave the rest as is and just tune the engine either with an ecu flash or with a piggyback dinan or burger jb4 unit, then what's the point? i don't get it.

Last edited by davyjordi; 09-05-20 at 02:50 AM.
Old 09-05-20, 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

oh, one more thing. on the x2 bmw forums, people talk about tuning the m35i and i almost feel like wtf!? why? like, the car has plenty of power and the power comes on very quickly so if you're driving it around town sometimes you have to be careful with the throttle so as not to lurch forward. i mean, clearly i'm still learning how to drive this car as i'm driving it as i would the lexus, but i don't think this car is left wanting for power, although owners certainly do seem to be.

I'm with you, davy. Some people are so addicted to power than they are never pleased, no matter how much or how little a vehicle has. You could give them a seat in one of our space-vehicles, that not only accelerates to orbit speed (17,500 MPH), but even to escape-velocity speed (25,000 MPH) into outer space, and they still would be complaining that they weren't traveling at the speed of light....or even faster LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-05-20 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Welp, I'm finally done with my car-buying saga...BMW X2 M35i!!!!