Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Welp, I'm finally done with my car-buying saga...BMW X2 M35i!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-20, 02:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
My goodness, you've been busy. so how long did you actualy have the x2 xdrive28i!?

That looks GREAT and like you say, having the body colored lower trim vs crappy gray makes a HUGE difference. Love the wheels too. Can you share what that costs configured like that?

is this model rear wheel drive based? I believe the new strange 2 gran coupe is fwd based while the regular 2 series is rwd.
Talk about a difference in styling vs. the NX!!
Old 09-06-20, 02:16 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

X2 is more a luxury hot hatch than something like the Lexus NX. Thus, driving dynamic although FWD is superior to the NX.
Old 09-06-20, 03:21 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
is this model rear wheel drive based? I believe the new strange 2 gran coupe is fwd based while the regular 2 series is rwd.
it has bmw's xdrive which of course is just an awd setup but from what i've gathered online it's more fwd-based than rwd-based similar to what's seen in certain audi products.
Old 09-06-20, 03:25 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

That X2 does look pretty good, and I agree with the raised hot hatch sentiment. I like it much better than its Mini Countryman twin.

Much as I harp on the Germans for their recent tendency to be making every car type imaginable in order to artificially increase sales volume at the cost of cannibalizing themselves and diluting their own brand, I've yet to see one that was badly executed. Looks aside, even the 2 Series GC has been getting good reviews on its tech and driving dynamics.
Old 09-06-20, 03:25 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EXE46
X2 is more a luxury hot hatch than something like the Lexus NX. Thus, driving dynamic although FWD is superior to the NX.
yessss, it's super good looking, though. it's like a mixture of a hot hatch a crossover. or just like a super tiny crossover. they did a really good job on the styling of this vehicle.

and yes, everything about this vehicle is superior to the nx. hands down, no question.
Old 09-06-20, 04:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
yessss, it's super good looking, though. it's like a mixture of a hot hatch a crossover. or just like a super tiny crossover. they did a really good job on the styling of this vehicle.

and yes, everything about this vehicle is superior to the nx. hands down, no question.
I had a NX FSport as a loaner for a day and it was bad. I hated the 2L turbo...laggy and weak. It wasn't even luxurious the way the RX is. I'd definitely pay the extra for the RX.
Old 09-06-20, 08:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
you're right, the x2 is closer to ux in dimensions.
Old 09-06-20, 09:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I believe both the X2 and X1 are on a FWD platform shared with the Mini brand. The big advantage is space efficiency. Interior room isn't much different than the larger RWD X3.
X2 and X1 are based on Mini FWD platforms but they can’t be compared at all to X3 in interior room.
X2 is a more of a raised hatch than Suv. X3 is a midsize SUV that can fit 3 adults in the rear with huge cargo capacity in the rear.

The original X1 which was RWD was a great small Crossover. Unfortunately BMW sold out for the $$$.
Old 09-06-20, 11:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
X2 and X1 are based on Mini FWD platforms but they can’t be compared at all to X3 in interior room.
X2 is a more of a raised hatch than Suv. X3 is a midsize SUV that can fit 3 adults in the rear with huge cargo capacity in the rear.

The original X1 which was RWD was a great small Crossover. Unfortunately BMW sold out for the $$$.
I had the original X1, leased it for my daughter a few years back. Indeed it was an awesome little cars for the money, but it was no crossover, it was essentially a 3 series wagon with 4" lift.
Old 09-07-20, 01:30 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

how very date you say my vehicle is a sell out! how VERY DARE YOU!

no, but in all seriousness, i would encourage you to test drive an awd x2 m35i. the experience is unlike that of the xdrive28i or the sdrive28i, the experience is quite exhilarating and super fun. just because the vehicle is built on platform that's shared by the mini countryman which is a fwd-based, transversely-oriented platform doesn't mean that bmw doesn't know a thing or two about tuning, configuring and designing the car to 1. look amazing 2. contain the most powerful four-cylinder engine that bmw has ever produced in my variant, the m35i, and 3, provide for amazing driving dynamics. because the vehicle is such a tiny vehicle (and that's really what i was looking for as i am one and one alone) it makes sense that bmw would use the architecture that was already being used in the marginally larger x1 and the x1 would share the architecture with the mini countryman, the two of which who had/have platform that was jointly developed.

Last edited by davyjordi; 09-07-20 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-07-20, 01:35 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're right, the x2 is closer to ux in dimensions.
sadly, this is another area in which the ux fails to compete even remotely with any of the base-level competition let alone performance variants. like the preceding ct before it, the ux is incredibly slow but unlike the ct before it, the ux happens to also be incredibly ugly with a mishmash of lines and creases that don't form anything cohesive or coherent. the lexus ct was an amazingly attractive little hatch and had lexus stuck a much more powerful four-cylinder engine into that thing it would have sold MUCH better than it did.

remember when lexus initially sent people over from toymoco to laguna beach, orange county, california to study us? yeah, they need to do that again in order to determine our likes and dislikes again because they are missing the mark.
Old 09-07-20, 02:30 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

so i managed to find one press release stating that the m35i specifically (not the xdrive28i or the sdrive28i) is capable of splitting power 50/50 front and rear when pushed or when needed. in regular everyday driving, it's stated that the power delivery in the m35i is 60/40 front/rear while in the lesser base xdrive28i is 100 front by default only sending power to the rear when needed and in the sdrive28i it's fwd exclusively.

whatever the figures may be, though, i am really, really satisfied with my purchase as it's really a step up in performance from the 2018 IS300 RWD F-Sport that i had before. the lexus was quiet and serene, but even with a tune, it just wasn't engaging enough and some of you who have driven much more performance-oriented cars may balk at the x2 m35i, it's a step into the german world of performance vehicles for me. could i have purchased a cpo m2? yeah, but that vehicle, while fun to drive doesn't suit the practicality needs that i have and this variant of the x2 both suits the needs of a kindergarten teacher who needs to haul things around with a whole ton of power on tap and 0-60 times that are more than adequate for my needs (for now). as someone mentioned before, maybe arentz?, that power needs are relative and once exposed to something one may end up wanting more of it, so there may be a time when an x3m is the desired vehicle, although for now, with just one person to regularly carry, this vehicle fits the bill.

Last edited by davyjordi; 09-07-20 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-07-20, 05:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

BMW would have been absolutely nuts to not offer the X1/X2. All of the German, Japanese and domestics compete in the segment. I'm sure MB and Audi would have appreciated it though.
Old 09-07-20, 07:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
how very date you say my vehicle is a sell out! how VERY DARE YOU!

no, but in all seriousness, i would encourage you to test drive an awd x2 m35i. the experience is unlike that of the xdrive28i or the sdrive28i, the experience is quite exhilarating and super fun. just because the vehicle is built on platform that's shared by the mini countryman which is a fwd-based, transversely-oriented platform doesn't mean that bmw doesn't know a thing or two about tuning, configuring and designing the car to 1. look amazing 2. contain the most powerful four-cylinder engine that bmw has ever produced in my variant, the m35i, and 3, provide for amazing driving dynamics. because the vehicle is such a tiny vehicle (and that's really what i was looking for as i am one and one alone) it makes sense that bmw would use the architecture that was already being used in the marginally larger x1 and the x1 would share the architecture with the mini countryman, the two of which who had/have platform that was jointly developed.
When I still had the original X1, I brought it for service and they gave me the new X1 loaner - I wanted to hate the new X1 because of its FWD underpinnings, but I actually quite liked it. I even wrote a brief review of my experience https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post9482610

Call me weird, but when it comes time for me to car shop, X2 m235i is number two on my list of potential vehicles, right after the Supra.
Old 09-07-20, 08:37 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
When I still had the original X1, I brought it for service and they gave me the new X1 loaner - I wanted to hate the new X1 because of its FWD underpinnings, but I actually quite liked it. I even wrote a brief review of my experience https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post9482610
I agree. I wanted to hate it too, and there are certain things I do--the size/position of the door opening relative to the seat and steering wheel, and some of the chintzy controls in the center stack--but it drives WAY more fun than that type of vehicle with a FWD transverse architecture has any right to. When I had my loaner, it was during a 10+ day period of extremely cold weather and consistent snow. I had a hell of a time driving that thing sideways down empty snow-covered streets.

Originally Posted by Och
Call me weird, but when it comes time for me to car shop, X2 m235i is number two on my list of potential vehicles, right after the Supra.
That is quite the eclectic comparison.

Quick Reply: Welp, I'm finally done with my car-buying saga...BMW X2 M35i!!!!