Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Auto Insurance Companies

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 06:41 PM
JennK
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Auto Owners and am very happy! I have homeowners and business insurance through them as well.
Old 09-04-20, 07:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I found that GEICO had the same level of service/coverage (or better) for significantly less money.
From a claim perspective that hasn't been my experience, but its not far off. What I don't like about Geico is that you don't have an agent. I like the relationship I build with an agency, thats a big reason why I've stayed with Allstate.

If you really feel that you would be happier with Erie, fine, but it often pays to stay with the same company and build up a lot of good time with them, particularly if you don't make a lot of claims or cost them a lot of money. They like regular customers that don't bleed them dry with a lot of accidents or liabilities....and are more likely to give those customers discounts or policy-renewals.
Its about cost, I'm probably paying $1,000 more a year with Allstate than I would be Erie with the same coverage.
Old 09-04-20, 10:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What I don't like about Geico is that you don't have an agent. I like the relationship I build with an agency, thats a big reason why I've stayed with Allstate.
Are you saying that because you really feel that agents should sell and maintain insurance policies, or simply because you yourself are an agent.....in a different line of buisness, of course, selling homes instead of insurance policies? Sometimes, our views are influenced by what we do for a living....for instance, my views of flying and the airlines were influenced by the fact that I myself worked making charts and navigation-products that pilots, aircrews and air-traffic-controlers used, and that I myself had a license to fly small aircraft.

Its about cost, I'm probably paying $1,000 more a year with Allstate than I would be Erie with the same coverage.
For a difference like that, I agree......I'd consider switching, too, as long as Erie will give you the same, better, or reasonably close coverage for that lesser sum. But also keep in mind that, with a brand-new Pacifica and whatever else you're going to soon have (the S-class, A8, or 7-series), with different vehicles, that also will affect the rates from these two companies, so it's as much apples and oranges as it is apples and apples.
Old 09-04-20, 11:32 PM
Boraxo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erie and Electric were the best insurance companies I ever had. Alas they don't sell in California. Had Liberty Mutual for several years - very low premiums but you get what you pay for. Horrible service on a couple of minor claims so we had to fire them.

Currently have Amica and no complaints so far - premiums were lower than any of the competition.
Old 09-05-20, 07:24 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

One complaint I have with most insurance companies (there may be some rare exceptions) is that almost nobody gives an honest one-year policy any more.....they do six-month ones now, and have done so for decades. One of several reasons why I switched to GEICO in the early 1980s is that they were still giving real 12-month policies...but, sure enough, that didn't last very long (if my memory is right, just a couple of years), then they joined everybody else with the six-month crap.

Not that there's anything really wrong per se with the six month policy, but, it just makes for more records, clutter, paperwork, and checks or credit card deductions being paid. And, to my knowledge, most states don't actually require the six-month term (states generally regulate the insurance industry, not the Federal Government). The explanation I got for this is that companies use the six-month policies, instead of the older one-year ones, to drop risky or habitually-negligent drivers ASAP, without having to wait a year....their attitude is the quicker they drop them, the more money they save.
Erie issued us a 1 year policy when we switched last year. It was so nice to write one check and be done. Also, after I sold my LS 430 and notified the agent of the sale, Erie issued a refund check within 2 days - amazing!
Old 09-05-20, 07:40 AM
mickbrown
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I’ve been a USAA member for 50+ years, for auto, homeowners, etc. Excellent in all respects and very reasonably priced. If you are now or have been in a military service, it’s worth checking out.
Old 09-05-20, 10:45 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I was with Auto Owners then Southern owners for years. Then last year they raised my rate ridiculously high( I had no claims-ever) so I had my agent do a search and I'm now with Progressive. I didn't see Auto Owners evaluated in the posted study any reason why? I suppose it's a regional company like Erie. Erie doesn't do Florida. Of course most of us look at the rate as a deciding factor but this is dependent on where you live.
I've always had a yearly premium and you get a discount if you pay it in full.

Old 09-05-20, 10:48 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mickbrown
I’ve been a USAA member for 50+ years, for auto, homeowners, etc. Excellent in all respects and very reasonably priced. If you are now or have been in a military service, it’s worth checking out.
I'm a USSA member and tried to get homeowners thru them but they don't do Florida. At the time I was looking for a bundle with Auto coverage so I went elsewhere.
Old 09-05-20, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Are you saying that because you really feel that agents should sell and maintain insurance policies, or simply because you yourself are an agent.....in a different line of buisness, of course, selling homes instead of insurance policies? Sometimes, our views are influenced by what we do for a living....for instance, my views of flying and the airlines were influenced by the fact that I myself worked making charts and navigation-products that pilots, aircrews and air-traffic-controlers used, and that I myself had a license to fly small aircraft.
I'm old school, I like relationships with people, which is why I like having an agent. I can call him with questions, ask him to step in if I have issues with claims, etc. For instance when I got rear ended he was a text away asking his advice about letting the guy pay out of pocket, diminished value, etc. I can ask him anything and not fear it impacting my policy, etc.

If I had Geico, or Progressive or some other discount company with no agent I wouldn't have that sounding board or that asset to lean on.

For a difference like that, I agree......I'd consider switching, too, as long as Erie will give you the same, better, or reasonably close coverage for that lesser sum. But also keep in mind that, with a brand-new Pacifica and whatever else you're going to soon have (the S-class, A8, or 7-series), with different vehicles, that also will affect the rates from these two companies, so it's as much apples and oranges as it is apples and apples.
I wouldn't change until after I have made any vehicle purchase I'm going to make.
Old 09-05-20, 11:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mickbrown
USAA can also be obtained by family members of USAA members. My dad was in the army and had USAA, and they've been my insurance company for 25 years, and my kids will be eligible too, even though I wasn't in the military.
Old 09-05-20, 11:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've found USAA has great rates on car insurance, but terrible rates on homeowners insurance. I have seen many, many people buy homes and insure them with USAA and have been shocked by the premiums. Its hard to get people to shop it too, because they feel like USAA is "so good".
Old 09-05-20, 12:38 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have had mixed experiences with USAA, sometimes I feel they are good, others I feel they were really disappointing, had bad experiences.
Old 09-05-20, 02:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The worst rate I ever saw from USAA was on a condo, which should be like a $300 policy, the premium was $950. Thats a SFH premium.
Old 09-05-20, 04:35 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 690 Likes on 511 Posts

I've been with State Farm since the mid '80's. I looked into Geico back in the early 2000's. They gave me a quote that seemed reasonable at the time and just slightly above what I was paying. That was until I realized it was a semi-annual quote, not annual.

State Farm has been very good to me. Although, in reality, all my premiums have just gone in their pocket.
Old 09-05-20, 08:31 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would look into Erie, everybody I know who has them is very satisfied.
I would have to agree with this. A friend of mine runs a big body shop near me and I always ask him about dealing with insurance companies and he said as far as claims go, Erie is hands down the best. They let him fix the car the way it needs to be fixed with hardly any questions. I have State Farm and access to USAA and he said even they are a pain in the *** to deal with.

Personally, the girl that hit my back bumper last month had Geico and it was a fight to get them to replace my bumper cover vs repairing it even though my friend suggested replacing the bumper cover. It took us a week to have them agree going back and forth a number of times.

Quick Reply: Best Auto Insurance Companies