Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Auto Insurance Companies

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 09:44 AM
Lexfan2004
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mickbrown
I’ve been a USAA member for 50+ years, for auto, homeowners, etc. Excellent in all respects and very reasonably priced. If you are now or have been in a military service, it’s worth checking out.
I am so very thankful to have USAA!!! Best customer service, best rates for people like me who like to have plenty of coverage, and easy claims process. I have had 2 claims in past 5 years. Hit a deer once so comprehensive claim, and had a slight fender bender in LA in a rental car...(never driving there again if I can avoid it). Both were handled professionally and quickly.

I'd recommend USAA to everyone who qualifies for them!!!
Old 09-09-20, 09:54 AM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the great information.
Old 09-09-20, 10:34 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

I have Safeco, and have been pleasantly surprised. Good prices and good coverage.

I have an agent who I'm on a friendly basis with whom I can just email for anything and she gets back to me within the day; no calling 800 numbers and waiting, talking to 40 different people, etc.

I had a bumper replaced on my LS and everything was flawless.

I am eligible for USAA which I know is the best but shew....it's expensive.
Old 09-09-20, 12:42 PM
sunpadre
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Insurance is a necessary evil & a particular provider may seem good, until you actually have to use them. Also, know the $$$ amount limits on your coverage before something happens - very important.
Old 09-09-20, 12:46 PM
sy44
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have Safeco in the last Goshhhhhh, long times, and happy with it. The last time we used them was last year when our son got an accident and wasn't his fault. The other driver has Geico and they tried to collect us and our insurance to pay for their damaged car; they even hired their lawyer too. But our Safeco insurance refused to pay them, and help us from getting sue too. They are on our side for the entire time. We are happy with them, so far so good. I just wonder why Safeco is not on the list either good or bad ?
Old 09-09-20, 01:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sy44
We have Safeco in the last Goshhhhhh, long times, and happy with it. The last time we used them was last year when our son got an accident and wasn't his fault. The other driver has Geico and they tried to collect us and our insurance to pay for their damaged car; they even hired their lawyer too. But our Safeco insurance refused to pay them, and help us from getting sue too. They are on our side for the entire time. We are happy with them, so far so good. I just wonder why Safeco is not on the list either good or bad ?
Yes, what some people don't realize is that you're paying insurance so you don't have to pay lawyers, etc. when you wreck. The accident and car damage are just the start.

I rear ended someone about 15 years ago, he drove a Pontiac Aztek...those had plastic bumpers. I put a dent in said plastic bumper the size of a golf ball, absolutely no damage to my car. I had to go to the Progressive office (that's who I had then) 2 or 3 times so they could take pictures of my bumper to prove the guy was full of it, all of his claims for alleged damages. The guy who came out with the camera told me this guy was trying to sue for a ridiculous amount. Nice that I didn't have to deal with any of that. AFAIK they offered him a much smaller settlement than he wanted. The accident was my fault, but this was clearly a case of a guy being rear-ended by someone with a nice car and thinking they can get rich quick. Didn't happen for him.
Old 09-09-20, 02:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I was having this conversation with my business partner the other day. People today have no loyalty, and the things you do for them that are above and beyond don't register and don't buy you any goodwill when bad things happen like they used to. It almost doesn't pay to go above and beyond.
definitely true for commodities, of which insurance is one. people love to complain about cramped airline seats and no food yet OVERWHELMINGLY consumers have shown they'll switch airlines on a flight to save $1. of course comparison websites don't help with consumers just picking the 'top one' regardless.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t think Amazon is successful because of amazing customer service or putting the customer first, I think it’s that they have a great product that is super easy. If someone came up with an Amazon competitor that was similar and cheaper, people would feel no loyalty to Amazon.
I also never see anybody buy Apple products because of their customer service, it’s because people love and want the product.
Like it or not, customer service just doesn’t get a company very far anymore.
it's been said companies are rated on price, product, and service, but no one can win on all three. apple is clearly product lead, but their service is ok and their price is definitely not. amazon has good prices but their win is the ability to deliver consistently, and FAST. that is their 'product' but of course they are now a huge media player, a huge IT infrastructure player, etc. as well.

but in 'pure' commodities, where it's really hard to differentiate, like gasoline, paper, generic drugs, it's all about price. for insurance, which is a highly regulated industry, i have zero brand loyalty. if the service is 'ok' and the price is decent, i'm staying. otherwise, i'm gone.

Old 09-10-20, 11:56 AM
Ron3645
Driver School Candidate

As a personal injury attorney I suspect I look at insurance companies with a different mind's eye to that of the average consumer or maybe to those that contributed with their votes which led to the rankings listed in the OP.

I get it that generally speaking people want to pay as little as possible. I also get it that generally speaking some people want to like and have a good relationship with their agents. I've learned over the course of more than 30 years in my trade that the most important differentiating factor with insurance companies is how the insurance company handles claims.

Insurance companies are like attorneys (me). People hate them and complaint about them ... until they need them, which of course is when a person has to make a claim. And when one must make a claim, the amount of the paid premium makes no difference. Agents? Virtually irrelevant because claims are handled at claims offices, not retail/agent offices.

The percentage of motorists driving without insurance or with state mandated minimum coverage is alarming. If one of those drivers hits you, and if you suffer a serious/catastrophic injury, you will need to make an uninsured or underinsured motorist bodily injury claim. You paid the premium, the insurance company accepted your payment and agreed to afford you the coverage, and you're entitled to the benefit of that bargain. Here's where the rubber meets the road (no pun intended). How will your own insurance company handle your own injury claim? Sadly, most of the companies listed in the OP will treat you like a liar, exaggerator, malingerer, etc. Some companies are worse than others. Some on that list I would not be willing to be insured by, even if they offered me coverage at no cost whatsoever.

Insurance companies are not in the business of treating either their own insured or those making claims fairly. Instead, insurance companies are in the business of maximizing shareholder revenue.

Old 09-10-20, 01:35 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron3645
Sadly, most of the companies listed in the OP will treat you like a liar, exaggerator, malingerer, etc. Some companies are worse than others. Some on that list I would not be willing to be insured by, even if they offered me coverage at no cost whatsoever.
It's great hearing from an insider on this! I know you can't tell us who the worst insurance companies are in this regard, but can you tell us the best?

BTW...You said Agents aren't important because they don't settle claims. I would counter with my personal experience of good Agents giving me inside information on dealing with claims (on both sides). I got into the habit of calling my Agent prior to calling in a claim and have saved a lot of time, money and hassles as a result. Good Agents will also go out of their way to customize coverage for one's unique needs and advise ways to minimize one's premiums.
Old 09-10-20, 01:51 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

As a personal injury attorney I suspect I look at insurance companies with a different mind's eye to that of the average consumer or maybe to those that contributed with their votes which led to the rankings listed in the OP.

How will your own insurance company handle your own injury claim? Sadly, most of the companies listed in the OP will treat you like a liar, exaggerator, malingerer, etc. Some companies are worse than others. Some on that list I would not be willing to be insured by, even if they offered me coverage at no cost whatsoever.

Insurance companies are not in the business of treating either their own insured or those making claims fairly. Instead, insurance companies are in the business of maximizing shareholder revenue.
I appreciate your experience with Insurance companies and letting us know what to expect. However, as Joe Customer how are we to know what companies will handle an injury claim? Can you give some clue on how to do it? Are you afraid to name companies? I don't have a clue now what company to choose.

Old 09-10-20, 02:19 PM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had Travelers for 8 years now and just made my first claim with them. August 2nd I was going down the middle lane of a 5 lane interstate when an Infiniti two lanes over ran over something and flicked it my way. I saw it for a brief second before I hit it and it was the top end of a pitchfork. Hit my bumper and put three holes through it and punctured my washer jug and ripped the rear shield under the rear bumper cover on it's way out. Didn't hit the fuel tank thank goodness.

Called the next morning to make the claim and it took one full month for them to approve it. They had the estimate for three weeks before approving it. The car is still driveable so I don't know if that's what took so long but one month sure does sound like it's too much. But then again this is my first ever car insurance claim so I didn't know what to expect.
Old 09-10-20, 06:11 PM
Ron3645
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
It's great hearing from an insider on this! I know you can't tell us who the worst insurance companies are in this regard, but can you tell us the best?

BTW...You said Agents aren't important because they don't settle claims. I would counter with my personal experience of good Agents giving me inside information on dealing with claims (on both sides). I got into the habit of calling my Agent prior to calling in a claim and have saved a lot of time, money and hassles as a result. Good Agents will also go out of their way to customize coverage for one's unique needs and advise ways to minimize one's premiums.
Hi Wilson.

Agents don't settle claims. Agents sell policies and sometimes give their customers sage advice. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard a horror story from one of my clients about their agents. In many instances the advice provided by agents was just flat out wrong. If you've a good agent, that's wonderful.

I can't remember even one instance where a client told me that his/her agent explained what underinsured motorist coverage is or in what situations the coverage will kick in, let alone how much coverage to purchase. Every one of my clients who was injured as a pedestrian when being struck by a motorist has been surprised to learn that the medical payments, uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverages apply.

I represented a fellow who lived with his mother. He had insurance with one of the well known companies on the list in the OP. They had gone out to run an errand, then returned home and parked across the street. As they were walking across the street, here comes a 17 year old screaming down the street and strikes my client's mother. She goes up on the hood, then down on the roadway, strikes her head and the worst possible thing then happens to her. My client lost his mother and that 17 year old motorist had $15K in coverage. My client had no idea about underinsured motorist coverage. My client was a bright guy, a professional. He would have benefited, as everyone would, by good advice from his agent at the time he procured his policy. (Apologies to all if I've crossed the line in being too graphic with this anecdote.)

I think it's generally the case that most people know they need (and are required) to have insurance, but at the same time most are interested in paying a little as possible for that insurance. Like many things in life, one gets what one pays for. I encourage my clients to purchase as much coverage as they can... after all, we're trying to protect ourselves from that 17 year old. Buy as much as your company will sell you. 500K or 1M. And get an umbrella policy. This is not the place to try to save money.

Old 09-10-20, 06:14 PM
Ron3645
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I appreciate your experience with Insurance companies and letting us know what to expect. However, as Joe Customer how are we to know what companies will handle an injury claim? Can you give some clue on how to do it? Are you afraid to name companies? I don't have a clue now what company to choose.
Hi Roger.

Some insurance companies are better than others when it comes to injury claims. If you'd like one person's opinion on this topic, send me a PM.
Old 09-10-20, 07:15 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Buy as much as your company will sell you. 500K or 1M. And get an umbrella policy. This is not the place to try to save money.
I guess I've had better insurance agents then most as my agent sold me a $1M umbrella. It was surprisingly inexpensive for what it covers. My brother had a $1M umbrella when he was scammed by a gang banger who set him up in a parking lot and took him to court. The case was settled for $1M. Had my brother not had that coverage, he would have been financially ruined.

I know agents don't settle claims, but good ones can be a valuable resource for the average customer who knows nothing about settling claims. Here's a for instance: my Agent advised me when hitting unavoidable objects on the road, report the item was moving when you hit it. If the object is stationary, it's considered avoidable, and will be handled and charged as an accident. If the object is moving, it is considered unavoidable and covered under comprehensive. My comprehensive deductible is $400 less than my comprehensive deductible! But, more importantly, no accident is charged, which raises one's rates.
Old 09-11-20, 11:43 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, insurance companies are the worst. Pay them your whole life then they figure out any way possible to deny claim or pay as little as possible..

They're about a notch above banks in my pecking order.

Thanks for your insight.

Quick Reply: Best Auto Insurance Companies