Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Bimmer assimilation is complete....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-20, 08:37 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
Default The Bimmer assimilation is complete....

It started it all with my Zupra (which I'll have a 1 year ownership follow up soon), then went on to replace my wife's RX350 with an X3M. While I was trying to get an X5, I stumbled upon another fantastic deal for my a DD that will sadly replace my grumpy F150 (cam phasers).... A leftover 2020 m340i!!
​​
While I'm not a big fan of smaller cars, this one doesn't feel as cramped as prior 3 series. As always, i have some plans for it in the power dept. leveraged from my learnings on pushing my Supra to the 720hp level, so stay tuned!

Edit : kind of sad, because this is the first time I've never thought about buying any Toyco/Lexus product in the process.....

(And yes, I put my Zupra wheels on it lol)

Last edited by ST430; 09-05-20 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-05-20, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Sweet! Congrats.
Old 09-05-20, 08:57 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice, I’m pretty happy with mine so far after a year of owning it. I got a Mission Performance stage 2 tune and it wakes it up pretty nicely even though you already know this engine pretty well since you have a Zupra already (except your M340 has an updated version of the B58 engine).
Old 09-05-20, 09:39 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Nice, I’m pretty happy with mine so far after a year of owning it. I got a Mission Performance stage 2 tune and it wakes it up pretty nicely even though you already know this engine pretty well since you have a Zupra already (except your M340 has an updated version of the B58 engine).
What does a stage 2 run in the quarter mile? Are they pretty reliable?
Old 09-06-20, 02:44 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice ride. That B58 is a monster. Many people are comparing the B58 to Toyota’s 2JZ. Another words, it’s a solid engine with lots of room for expansion.
Old 09-06-20, 04:33 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

beautiful car! enjoy it in good health! i also made the jump from lexus to bmw recently and i, too, had no lexus products in mind when making my decision which, i agree, is a strange feeling to have after owning lexus vehicles my entire driving life.

your car is beautiful, though! alpine white or mineral white?
Old 09-06-20, 04:50 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i also made the jump from lexus to bmw recently and i, too, had no lexus products in mind when making my decision which, i agree, is a strange feeling to have after owning lexus vehicles my entire driving life.
Sadly, but Lexus is like a sinking ship now.... It seems that the latest products are not too appealing, even to the diehard fans anymore.
Old 09-06-20, 05:58 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
What does a stage 2 run in the quarter mile? Are they pretty reliable?
I haven’t seen any true quarter mile times, mainly people using a draggy and it’s around mid 11’s and typically dying 460-470 whp. Unfortunately the track that is literally in my town and 5 minutes from my house closed down this year after being open for 50+ years or I would’ve tested it.
Old 09-06-20, 07:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Sadly, but Lexus is like a sinking ship now.... It seems that the latest products are not too appealing, even to the diehard fans anymore.
disappointing to read - what are the main reasons you think lexus products are not appealing these days?
Old 09-06-20, 07:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Congrats! She's a beaut

I have a sneaking suspicion you wont miss Lexus.

I too as everybody knows am looking, and have considered sedans and SUVs, and I have not considered or even test driven any Lexus product.
Old 09-06-20, 08:04 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I haven’t seen any true quarter mile times, mainly people using a draggy and it’s around mid 11’s and typically dying 460-470 whp. Unfortunately the track that is literally in my town and 5 minutes from my house closed down this year after being open for 50+ years or I would’ve tested it.
Mid 11s is quite a good pickup from stock. Does the tune eliminate the slight turbo lag in stock form? The M340 is really showing that' it's the best of the German sports sedans. The new G20 is also packaged well with good back seat room and better looks than the F30. I'm a big fan of it.
Old 09-06-20, 08:54 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
disappointing to read - what are the main reasons you think lexus products are not appealing these days?
i'll tell you why i moved to bmw, or rather why i didn't consider lexus. the product lineup is old and the upcoming products aren't appealing. they need to have shorter product lifecycles. the drivetrains are also old and they are slow. they have been left behind by nearly everyone in the luxury segment. they also have shifted not too long ago from l-finesse to whatever they are doing now in terms of their design language and it's very divisive and very controversial. many of the new models that have been released (save for the lc and ls) have been super angular with tons of unnecessary overly-designed aspects that are almost civic type-r status. just take a good look at the UX, the RX, the upcoming "new" (read: the same damn carryover engines) IS, the RC. the vehicles just aren't as attractive as they once were and the vehicles that i do find attractive like the lc500, which is an absolutely beautiful vehicle use a design approach that's completely different from the bread and butter lexus vehicles. lastly, the tech is old. like windows 95 old. not only is it old but it's also frustrating to use.

i get that many people just want a reliable luxury vehicle to get from point a to point b but many around the world don't really even know lexus exists. i'm a dual citizen of spain and the united states and in the EU lexus doesn't have any presence at all. it's not considered a tier-1 luxury brand by any means. it's north america that's lexus' biggest market and its tier-1 status is being questioned because of the aforementioned issues. the biggest draw right now that i can think of that lexus is relying on is reliability. you buy a lexus and it's going to last forever and give you minimal problems. yeah, that's true, but a lot of people in the luxury segment don't keep their vehicles forever and so vehicles that last 5 years without any major problems built by the german/swedish/british manufacturers are a-okay.

lexus has work to do or it risks becoming acura. it's nowhere near becoming infiniti, but it definitely can fall into the space that acura occupies and it may already be there.
Old 09-06-20, 09:44 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Mid 11s is quite a good pickup from stock. Does the tune eliminate the slight turbo lag in stock form? The M340 is really showing that' it's the best of the German sports sedans. The new G20 is also packaged well with good back seat room and better looks than the F30. I'm a big fan of it.
It’s a decent pickup but remember, even though magazines weren’t getting the times, people that took stock ones to the track were getting around 12.0-12.1 bone stock. I don’t think the tune eliminates the turbo lag, it really drives just like stock but to me it pulls more the faster you go compared to me feeling the power dropping off a bit in stock form at the higher speeds.
Old 09-06-20, 09:49 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Congrats! Great choice! Don't feel bad about leaving the brand. I'll be doing the same thing come November when my GS lease is up.
Old 09-06-20, 09:49 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

davyjordi - your reasoning for moving on is the same reason for me. I was a diehard Lexus/Toyota guy and for the first time in 20+ years I don’t have at least one Toyota product in my household.

Quick Reply: The Bimmer assimilation is complete....