Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sailing makes a comeback in wind-powered car carrier concept

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 08:22 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Sailing makes a comeback in wind-powered car carrier concept

Will hold 7,000 cars, make the North Atlantic crossing in 12 days

STOCKHOLM — A Swedish consortium aims to launch commercially by 2025 a wind-driven car carrier that will emit 90% less carbon dioxide than a conventional roll-on/roll-off (RoRo) cargo ship, it said on Thursday.

The 200-meter-long carrier will have a capacity for 7,000 cars and have a maximum height of 105 meters when its five 80-meter upright "wing sails" are fully extended — bringing to mind a futuristic version of the wings of a 19th-century clipper.
ADVERTISEMENT"This will of course challenge our habits, and when this vessel will be in the ocean sailing, it will be an odd bird," consortium partner Wallenius Marine Chief Operating Officer Per Tunell told an online news conference. "We are on track to make it possible for launching and putting this vessel in operation for late 2024."

The consortium said in a statement a North Atlantic crossing would take the ship around 12 days, against eight days for conventional vessels.

"The technology of the wing sails is quite similar to airplane wings," Wallenius Marine architect Carl-Johan Soder said, adding that the 90% emission reduction estimate was based on a North-Atlantic crossing at an average speed of 10 knots.

The vessel will have a fuel powered engine for operating in ports and for support when wind is very weak.

Tunell said the vessel would be slightly more expensive than a traditional RoRo carrier of comparable size.

Besides Wallenius Marine — which is controlled by the founding family of the Wallenius RoRo shipping group — the consortium includes Sweden's Royal Institute of Technology and shipping consultancy SSPA. The project is co-financed by the Swedish Transport Administration.
Source
Old 09-13-20, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Good idea for saving fuel (ships, of course, sailed on wind-power for thousands of years). But it also can be risky in storm-conditions or high winds, as strong side-winds can also make ships capsize or lean (list) so much that the cargo is damaged.
Old 09-13-20, 04:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

The "sail" fins are clearly retractable. I'm sure in inclement weather or when its not beneficial they retract. Same with any sailboat, when the wind endangers the boat, you just reduce sail or bring the sails in.
Old 09-13-20, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The "sail" fins are clearly retractable. I'm sure in inclement weather or when its not beneficial they retract. Same with any sailboat, when the wind endangers the boat, you just reduce sail or bring the sails in.
I've been in a capsized sail-vessel (a small one-person one that was basically a big surfboard with a sail)...back in my early 30s. Fortunately, with my good physical shape (I had quit smoking years earlier), swim-training at the Red Cross as a kid, and the relatively small size of the lake, I was able to hold onto the capsized vessel with one arm and paddle back to shore with the other arm. (and no bad creatures in the water bit me LOL) I don't remember if I was wearing a life jacket or not (probably not)....it was in warm clear weather, but with some good wind gusts. Today, I wouldn't think of doing that without a life-jacket.....and it's a law in most places.

Back to topic at hand....it will be interesting to see if the fuel-savings from having Mother Nature help the ships along drop the Destination fee for new vehicles any...which, today, can now average over $1000. When I do a full-review (I know...I haven't done many lately), I always list the destination fee.
Old 09-13-20, 04:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats pretty scary, but it is MUCH harder to make a substantial sailboat capsize. I spent much of my youth sailing, and my dad had a 41 foot sailboat. Most sailing mishaps are the result of people being in situations they shouldn't be in. It takes an ENORMOUS amount of force to capsize a real sailboat, this wont be an issue at all as long as its captained properly. You sail into a hurricane with those "sails" up, you're gonna have a problem.

Won't reduce destination costs. The acquisition costs of a ship like that will far and away eclipse the fuel cost of a traditional container ship. This is mainly an efficiency and environmental concept.
Old 09-13-20, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Won't reduce destination costs. The acquisition costs of a ship like that will far and away eclipse the fuel cost of a traditional container ship.

That's a fair point. No, brand-new ships don't come cheap.....especially with state-of-the-art environmental features. Even more could be saved, though, if they didn't have to ship vehicles across oceans to start with....which, for us, of course, would mean U.S. or Canadian production.

Yeah, I know, I just ordered a new vehicle from Korea...but, for reasons I explained in other threads, I felt Korea-vs.-China was clearly the lesser of two evils, and Korea is at least our ally.
Old 09-13-20, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thats pretty scary, but it is MUCH harder to make a substantial sailboat capsize.
It wasn't really that scary if you simply keep calm with a level head, remember what you are doing, use common sense, and use some physical effort and elbow grease. I don't want to (falsely) give the impression that I'm Sinbad the Sailor or a Navy Seal LOL (I'm not).

I spent much of my youth sailing, and my dad had a 41 foot sailboat. Most sailing mishaps are the result of people being in situations they shouldn't be in. It takes an ENORMOUS amount of force to capsize a real sailboat, this wont be an issue at all as long as its captained properly. You sail into a hurricane with those "sails" up, you're gonna have a problem.
Agreed. And my big frame, of course, on a sail-board, didn't do the center-of-gravity any good LOL. When it started to list severely in the wind, I tried leaning my 250+ weight way over on the other side to compensate, but it wasn't enough.

Don't want to sound like a stereotype here, but if your dad had a 41-foot sailboat, you must have come from a generally well-heeled family. You have already told us about his early-90s Continental.

Old 09-14-20, 08:07 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've been in a capsized sail-vessel (a small one-person one that was basically a big surfboard with a sail)...back in my early 30s. Fortunately, with my good physical shape (I had quit smoking years earlier), swim-training at the Red Cross as a kid, and the relatively small size of the lake, I was able to hold onto the capsized vessel with one arm and paddle back to shore with the other arm. (and no bad creatures in the water bit me LOL)
Sounds like a Sailfish or a Sunfish. I used to sail those a lot when I was a kid. Since they have no keel, they are relatively easy to capsize. Fortunately, they are just as easy to right by standing on the centerboard. (The exact technique escapes me, it's been a LONG time.)

With a ballasted keel it would be extremely difficult to capsize a ship of that size unless it were grossly mismanaged. If it did capsize, the standing on the keel trick might not work as well though.
Old 09-14-20, 08:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natman
Sounds like a Sailfish or a Sunfish. I used to sail those a lot when I was a kid. Since they have no keel, they are relatively easy to capsize.

Thanks. I remember the vessel very well, but I had forgotten the name.
Old 09-14-20, 12:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't want to sound like a stereotype here, but if your dad had a 41-foot sailboat, you must have come from a generally well-heeled family. You have already told us about his early-90s Continental.
My Dad did very well. We weren't "wealthy" people, but he always made a very good living and enjoyed living more than he enjoyed saving, lets put it that way haha.

Its actually not as expensive as you would think. You can buy a nice, used sailboat that size for low-mid $100k range. Lenders will finance boats for 20 years. The interest is actually tax deductible as a second home since it has bedrooms, kitchen and bathrooms. Boats like that also don't really depreciate that fast. Its really like buying a vacation home, it just floats on the water...if that makes sense.

I love sailing too, but I would never buy a boat. What I would do today is buy into fractional sailing, like timeshare sailing. Someone else maintains the boat, and I get a certain amount of time on it every year. When its your boat you have to clean it and all when you come in, worry about it when the weather is bad, fix crap when it breaks, and you feel like all your vacation leisure time must be spent on the boat to make it worthwhile.
Old 09-16-20, 04:59 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Boats end up being money pits. There's an old saying that the two happiest days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.
Old 09-16-20, 05:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Won't reduce destination costs. The acquisition costs of a ship like that will far and away eclipse the fuel cost of a traditional container ship. This is mainly an efficiency and environmental concept.
Even if they got these ships for free, automakers wouldn't reduce destination costs.
Old 09-16-20, 06:03 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 295 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Even if they got these ships for free, automakers wouldn't reduce destination costs.
They are profit centers, after all.
Old 09-16-20, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Boats end up being money pits. There's an old saying that the two happiest days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.
That is absolutely the case lol. He was ready to sell it when the time came. He used to say nobody ever came onboard to do anything for less than $1,000, and that was 20+ years ago.

True lol
Old 09-16-20, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, if they drop list prices, or give incentive/rebates (which is often done at the end of model-years to move existing stock), I don't see what the difference is. Same effect for you as a consumer or buyer (lower price)...whatever you call it. And, of course,

Originally Posted by Sdls
They are profit centers, after all.
Yes, but actual shipping-costs drop and shipping-prices don't change, it is the shipping companies that will also make out.....and as previous posters have pointed out, those new ships will cost big $$$$$.

Quick Reply: Sailing makes a comeback in wind-powered car carrier concept