Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Please Help With Car Buying Decision - Used 2017 or New 2021 Lexus???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-20, 10:43 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, CarPlay will only open CarPlay apps, navigation apps, communication apps, music apps etc. I don’t think we want most people looking at pictures and watching movies while they drive lol.

But to the OP, you’re going to keep it so long get the latest car.
Can't be much worse than people texting and driving Although with CarPlay/Auto, all the texting can be done by voice. All these activities are distractions, nonetheless, so one needs to use common sense.
Old 09-13-20, 11:36 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
I want to buy a Lexus IS Silver/Black with Navigation in Q1 2021. I'm looking at a used 2017 and a brand new 2021. I have a trade-in and I'll be paying cash for the difference. I've never had a car payment in my life and I don't want one. My current car and trade-in is a 2004 Lexus ES330 - Silver/Black with Navigation and 160K miles on it that I paid cash for brand new way back in 2004. It's time to upgrade. I plan to keep this next car for 15+ years. I only drive about 5K miles a year and live in S FL. I'm 51 and can easily afford to pay cash for the 2021 but after running the numbers it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Is the brand new 2021 worth the extra money? What do you think? Am I missing something? Below is my financial analysis - I made some assumptions - please comment -
Originally Posted by comotiger
OP, sorry for hijacking your thread for a discussion of the infotainment options. If you plan to keep the car for 15 years, go with the 2021.
After considering further, I think you should buy the 2017 IS, provided Carplay/Auto is not a important upgrade for you. I realized that I would be happier with mirroring than Carplay. In any case, you can install kits for Carplay (or mirroring) for a few hundred bucks. These aftermarket upgrades will be slightly glitchy but in another 5-10 years, who knows how we will be interacting with our cars? You don't change cars often, and have done well with a 2004 ES until now, so I think you will be fine with a 2017 a few years from now. Since you drive only 5000 miles a year, you won't drive more than 100K in the next 15 years, and the 2017 will be just hitting its stride! On the plus side, you are saving over $18,000 that you can invest wisely for a nice nest egg.
Old 09-13-20, 12:10 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
After considering further, I think you should buy the 2017 IS, provided Carplay/Auto is not a important upgrade for you. I realized that I would be happier with mirroring than Carplay. In any case, you can install kits for Carplay (or mirroring) for a few hundred bucks. These aftermarket upgrades will be slightly glitchy but in another 5-10 years, who knows how we will be interacting with our cars? You don't change cars often, and have done well with a 2004 ES until now, so I think you will be fine with a 2017 a few years from now. Since you drive only 5000 miles a year, you won't drive more than 100K in the next 15 years, and the 2017 will be just hitting its stride! On the plus side, you are saving over $18,000 that you can invest wisely for a nice nest egg.
The nest egg is already built. I'm retired (early) with no wife and no kids so the money is all mine. I'll never be able to spend what I have. I just hate not getting value for my money - hence the reason I'm looking at the 2017. I'm very frugal - I can afford to go get a Ferrari if I really wanted to but it's not in my code to do so. I use a Google Pixel Android phone and only drive about 5K miles a year so I don't think the Car Play is important to me. My current ES330 doesn't even have Bluetooth so a 2017 would be a HUGE technological upgrade for me. It's hard to pay almost $20,000 more (especially when you have to write that big lump sum check) for almost the same car. The 2021 seems like it's just a mild refresh.

Last edited by Gekko; 09-13-20 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 12:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
I can. Don’t need it. Overrated.
It’s not the CarPlay so much as it’s the terrible infotainment in the Lexus. CarPlay is such a huge improvement over what’s in the Lexus, and it makes owning the Lexus less of a huge sacrifice in the tech department.

The nest egg is already built. I'm retired (early) with no wife and no kids so the money is all mine. I'll never be able to spend what I have. I just hate not getting value for my money - hence the reason I'm looking at the 2017. I'm very frugal - I can afford to go get a Ferrari if I really wanted to but it's not in my code to do so. I use a Google Pixel Android phone and only drive about 5K miles a year so I don't think the Car Play is important to me. My current ES330 doesn't even have Bluetooth so a 2017 would be a HUGE technological upgrade for me. It's hard to pay almost $20,000 more (especially when you have to write that big lump sum check) for almost the same car. The 2021 seems like it's just a mild refresh.
Sounds like operation richest guy in the graveyard is well under way lol

Sounds like you’ve decided to get the 2017. It’s actually a really significant upgrade though, the 2021 refresh. I’d get the 2021 just on looks alone.

The most frugal thing though is to keep your ES. Sounds like a car has little value to you so why upgrade at all?

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-13-20 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 12:34 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

It’s not the CarPlay so much as it’s the terrible infotainment in the Lexus. CarPlay is such a huge improvement over what’s in the Lexus, and it makes owning the Lexus less of a huge sacrifice in the tech department.

Sounds like operation richest guy in the graveyard is well under way lol

I fundamentally don’t understand your lifestyle in general, so I would say get what makes you happy.

Sounds like you’ve decided to get the 2017. It’s actually a really significant upgrade though, the 2021 refresh. I’d get the 2021 just on looks alone.
Yup. I blame growing up the son of poor humble Depression-Era Italian immigrants! We have this somewhat irrational paranoia about being poor again, no matter how much wealth we accumulate. It's a blessing and a curse. At least I retired early to S FL though - so I spend my money every day on my "freedom" in paradise while others are still caught up in the rat race. I will try to test drive both and follow my gut. Thank you all for the feedback!!!
Old 09-13-20, 12:44 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Regarding keeping my ES330 - that would be the other extreme. It's 17 years old and it's time to upgrade. The ES330 is an old person's car. I'm a very youthful 51 and I'm ready for something fun and sporty to drive to the gym, supermarket etc. Also, it's got some very annoying but minor issues that aren't worth fixing - intermittent check engine light comes on (could be gas cap), clicking sound in dash (AC Servo), Mark Levinson Woofer blown and had to be disconnected. Other than that it still runs great and I will miss not having to worry about it as a "beater". That's also another reason I'm leaning toward the used 2017 - I will worry about scratches and dings a lot less (OCD, AR). I want to reward and treat myself but I don't want to be a fool and pay a huge unnecessary premium for no proportionate value.
Old 09-13-20, 12:53 PM
UPWA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus is now making touch screen for new model of the cars, It would be great to use rather than console or pad
Old 09-13-20, 01:05 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UPWA
Lexus is now making touch screen for new model of the cars, It would be great to use rather than console or pad
Yeah I know. I love Touchscreen and hate the Remote Touch Interface garbage. The new 2021 IS will have the new Touchscreen Navigation. I started what became a huge thread way back in 2011 on the subject -

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ology-imo.html

The question is - Is the Touchscreen worth almost $20,000?!
Old 09-13-20, 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The point is, you’re making non frugal decisions already. Get what you want.

At some point being frugal like this becomes more like being a hoarder of money than it does practicing financial discipline. The 21 will be a much better car, doesn’t have remote touch which you hate, it’s current and you’ve been saddled with an outdated car for a long time. The $20,000 is meaningless, it’s going to make no difference in your life whatsoever. Get what you want.
Old 09-13-20, 01:26 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Something sporty and no wife/kids I'd get a Cayman/911 if you don't need a sedan. The 981 for example offers a dynamic package approaching the entry-level Ferrari from only 4 generations ago, without the brand snobbery/BS, and modern features to boot. The long-term reliability delta vs. Lexus has diminished considerably over the years. I'd think this would be a no-brainer but I suppose I also don't see the point in being retired early and frugal.

As far as sticking to the OP vehicles, I'd want to drive the refresh IS (and especially on the track) to decide whether it'd be worth a new car premium in your case. But it doesn't seem that way.
Old 09-13-20, 01:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The point is, you’re making non frugal decisions already. Get what you want.

At some point being frugal like this becomes more like being a hoarder of money than it does practicing financial discipline. The 21 will be a much better car, doesn’t have remote touch which you hate, it’s current and you’ve been saddled with an outdated car for a long time. The $20,000 is meaningless, it’s going to make no difference in your life whatsoever. Get what you want.
These are good points. Gekko, if you're as well off and comfortable as you indicated, a new car purchase at this stage of your life won't make or break anything. If it's something you'll enjoy, treat your self to it. Worse case scenario, you could always sell it sometime down the line if you need to and recoup some of your expenditure.

I've been retired for 16 years and have found that life it too short to keep denying yourself things that you can swing financially with a minimum amount of risk.
Old 09-13-20, 01:45 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

OP: All you have to do is prioritize whats most important to you - if money is no issue and getting the latest design language and tech is most important (which may be outdated in a few years with the way design/tech moves), get the 2021. If keeping the extra $20k in the bank for a rainy day but still making a substantial upgrade is important, the 2017 is the right choice. I don't think you can go wrong either way based on your options and your situation/circumstances!

Old 09-13-20, 01:57 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Any reason you want an IS?

I recommend to get a 2020 GS350 or even CPO LS500.
Those cars to me are much better “value” especially if you are going to keep a car for 15 years.

As far as IS - i would get a new 2020 at a discount since im sure they will be running incentives since 2021 model will be major update.
Old 09-13-20, 02:11 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Some other used cars I looked at -

1. Porsche 911 or Cayman - Start at $80K! Too much $$$ and I'm afraid of maintenance costs and reliability issues. Lexus has me spoiled.
2. Mercedes Benz SL - Used are "cheap" but for a reason - maintenance costs and reliability issues.
3. Lexus LC - Used are $80K and it's kind of an old man's car - see Doug DeMuro review.
4. Lexus LS - Old man's car.
5. Lexus GS - Discontinued. I don't like the idea of buying a Discontinued Car.
6. Lexus ES - Old man's car.
7. BMW - Never liked them - except for the i8 which is impractical.
8. Lexus RX, UX, NX - Don't need an SUV, not really an SUV guy.
9. Lexus SC430 - Too old.
Old 09-13-20, 02:16 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Lexus LC - Used are $80K and it's kind of an old man's car
Wait, what? It's no more of an "old man's car" than an SL or 911.

Quick Reply: Please Help With Car Buying Decision - Used 2017 or New 2021 Lexus???