Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Please Help With Car Buying Decision - Used 2017 or New 2021 Lexus???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 03:29 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

On the 2017 and older models, will the Google POIs, weather, sports, stocks, traffic, etc. on Enform continue to work after the October 2022 3G cut off date? Are these connected via your phone or via the 3G car connection?

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...ervices-update
Old 10-21-20, 06:50 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Are you really ok with going to a smaller car? A GS350 felt cramped to me after driving ESes and RXes. The 2L Turbo 4 is a mediocre engine, lacks refinement and power. You outta test drive the new IS and ES to see what suits you or maybe test drive other brands. If you want to project a young image, go get a Civic Si.
Old 10-21-20, 12:04 PM
dassboot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Enform services uses stone-age 3G on 2017 back and will be terminated as noted. Only 4G cars will continue to use Enform services after termination date. Air Wave Radio, Bluetooth and Satellite will continue to work.
No SOS and below will not longer work! But of course you not longer have to pay for these services as well.As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59PM CST, the following available Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated:
• Lexus Enform Safety Connect®1 including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator.
• Lexus Enform Remote2 including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant.
• Lexus Enform Destination Assist3 including 24-hour live response center agents.
• Lexus Enform Service Connect4 including Vehicle Health Report, Vehicle Alerts and Maintenance Alerts.
Old 10-21-20, 12:07 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dassboot
The Enform services uses stone-age 3G on 2017 back and will be terminated as noted. Only 4G cars will continue to use Enform services after termination date. Air Wave Radio, Bluetooth and Satellite will continue to work.
No SOS and below will not longer work! But of course you not longer have to pay for these services as well.As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59PM CST, the following available Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated:
• Lexus Enform Safety Connect®1 including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator.
• Lexus Enform Remote2 including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant.
• Lexus Enform Destination Assist3 including 24-hour live response center agents.
• Lexus Enform Service Connect4 including Vehicle Health Report, Vehicle Alerts and Maintenance Alerts.
I know this but can you answer my specific question regarding the Google POIs, weather, sports, stocks, traffic, etc.?
Old 10-21-20, 12:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
On the 2017 and older models, will the Google POIs, weather, sports, stocks, traffic, etc. on Enform continue to work after the October 2022 3G cut off date? Are these connected via your phone or via the 3G car connection?

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...ervices-update
Weather and traffic comes from HD Radio, so those would not be impacted. Sports and stocks come via the phone Enform app, so also not impacted.
Old 10-21-20, 12:57 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Weather and traffic comes from HD Radio, so those would not be impacted. Sports and stocks come via the phone Enform app, so also not impacted.
Thank you! Part of me hates buying a 2017 knowing the 3G system/connection is already obsolete. Another part of me thinks that I won't want to pay the subscription fee anyway because I'll never use those services anyway. Resale won't really be an issue because I plan to keep the care for 10-15+ years. Would it bother you buying a 2017 knowing that the 3G system/connection is already obsolete?
Old 10-21-20, 01:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you! Part of me hates buying a 2017 knowing the 3G system/connection is already obsolete. Another part of me thinks that I won't want to pay the subscription fee anyway because I'll never use those services anyway. Resale won't really be an issue because I plan to keep the care for 10-15+ years. Would it bother you buying a 2017 knowing that the 3G system/connection is already obsolete?
I think it is important....stolen vehicle locator..auto-start and a few other things will not work...It is not Toyota's fault..l think Verizon stopped 3G

At the end of the day, you can add in a stolen vehicle tracker GPS that is more robust anyways
Old 10-21-20, 01:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I use those features in my car - remote start, status, etc. So personally, I would look for an 18 or newer, or I would just budget in to get an aftermarket remote start system.
Old 10-21-20, 01:55 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I use those features in my car - remote start, status, etc. So personally, I would look for an 18 or newer, or I would just budget in to get an aftermarket remote start system.
Keep in mind that the 3G obsolescence has to be balanced against the possibility that even LTE in the newer models might become obsolete at some point during your ownership period. While I find it very hard to believe that LTE would be sunsetted (i.e., technological obsolescence) even this decade, there are other factors besides technology that could cause obsolescence, e.g., politics / government policy, issues pertaining to TMC's chosen network operator, etc.

I'd think you should figure out now if you really are going to use those services, in order to determine whether it should be a factor at all.
Old 10-21-20, 02:17 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

I'm finding a hard market out there for car prices!

AutoNation reports ‘best quarter ever’ as Covid convinces people to buy their own cars, CEO says
PUBLISHED WED, OCT 21 20209:40 AM EDT
UPDATED WED, OCT 21 20209:43 AM EDT
Kevin Stankiewicz
@KEVIN_STANK
CNBC.com

Auto sales plummeted earlier this year as the coronavirus swept the U.S., with showrooms shutting down and consumers subject to stay-at-home orders. Inventories also have taken a hit as manufacturers shuttered plants.

While the sales figures have rebounded faster than expectations, Jackson said that AutoNation continues to face challenges on the supply side as production ramps back up.

“We made absolutely no progress in the third quarter. Our inventories are actually lower at the end of the third quarter than they were at the second quarter when it comes to new vehicles,” he said. “Industry inventories are still 25% to 30% below where they should be, if not even more, so it was challenging to adjust pricing to reflect the shortages.”

It showed up in AutoNation’s earnings. The company’s gross profits per new vehicle sold were higher by 56% at comparable stores compared to the same period last year. For used autos, that metric was up 43%.

Jackson said he believes inventories will “gradually improve” into next year, but added that the company will closely watch how that impacts its earnings.

“It’s always, as a retailer, a balance between pricing and volume, and we’re managing that well,” he said. “As the factories can do a bit better, we’ll adjust to that. But net net, we’ll either sell more volume and adjust pricing or the availability is not there and we’ll get it on the pricing side.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/21/auto...car-sales.html
Old 10-21-20, 02:27 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
Keep in mind that the 3G obsolescence has to be balanced against the possibility that even LTE in the newer models might become obsolete at some point during your ownership period. While I find it very hard to believe that LTE would be sunsetted (i.e., technological obsolescence) even this decade, there are other factors besides technology that could cause obsolescence, e.g., politics / government policy, issues pertaining to TMC's chosen network operator, etc.

I'd think you should figure out now if you really are going to use those services, in order to determine whether it should be a factor at all.
There are knowns and there are unknowns. We know 3G connectivity is going away in October 2022. How long 4G LTE will be around is an unknown. I happen to think 4G LTE will be around for at least another 10 years based upon everything I've read. The real question for me is, would I even use Remote Start, Unlock, Health Services, Alerts, Etc, and be willing to pay the fee for it? The answer is probably not. But I want to make sure I get enough of a big discount because of the obsolescence of the 3G hardware and cutoff of these features, How much is it worth? My guess is at least an extra 5% discount. But the market will dictate that. When I spoke to the salesman he was oblivious (or at least acted oblivious) of the 2022 3G cut off. But I made sure I mentioned it to him. I want a big discount!
Old 10-21-20, 02:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Let us know how you do, but I honestly would be a bit surprised if you get any meaningful kind of additional discount for this. The used car market is strong right now, which isn't going to help you.
Old 10-22-20, 06:54 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Is the Lexus 200t Engine Interference or Non-Interference?
Old 10-22-20, 07:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

There are knowns and there are unknowns. We know 3G connectivity is going away in October 2022. How long 4G LTE will be around is an unknown. I happen to think 4G LTE will be around for at least another 10 years based upon everything I've read. The real question for me is, would I even use Remote Start, Unlock, Health Services, Alerts, Etc, and be willing to pay the fee for it? The answer is probably not. But I want to make sure I get enough of a big discount because of the obsolescence of the 3G hardware and cutoff of these features, How much is it worth? My guess is at least an extra 5% discount. But the market will dictate that. When I spoke to the salesman he was oblivious (or at least acted oblivious) of the 2022 3G cut off. But I made sure I mentioned it to him. I want a big discount!
I don’t think you are gonna get any discounts because it is being discontinued
Old 10-22-20, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

99% of buyers aren't going to care about the telematic services. Very few actually want to pay for them on an ongoing basis. Won't impact the value at all.

All the dealers I know are really hurting for inventory right now...which isn't good for buyers.

Quick Reply: Please Help With Car Buying Decision - Used 2017 or New 2021 Lexus???