Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Headlight technology has come so far...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 06:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah those are the ultra low end BMW headlights, I know exactly the lights you're talking about.
I think they literally just took old halogen headlight and replaced the halogen bulb with a direct replacement LED. Did not even bother to change the optics. It is going to be misleading to uninformed customers when choosing between LED and adaptive LED - an unsuspecting buyer will probably think there is only a minor difference, while in fact the difference is huge. At least with halogen in the past the choice was more obvious.
Old 04-25-21, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think they literally just took old halogen headlight and replaced the halogen bulb with a direct replacement LED. Did not even bother to change the optics. It is going to be misleading to uninformed customers when choosing between LED and adaptive LED - an unsuspecting buyer will probably think there is only a minor difference, while in fact the difference is huge. At least with halogen in the past the choice was more obvious.
Thats absolutely what they did
Old 04-25-21, 06:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Wanted to share a story, a little while back my daughters husband hit a deer, and his Honda sustained substantial damage. He decided not to keep it after the repair, and replaced it with a 2018 BMW 330i wagon. He's a bit of a tech geek, and apparently these wagons are some sort of a cult amongst the tech crowd. The car came with LED headlights, but they are not the premium BMW adaptive LEDs, they are basically just LED bulbs inside reflector housing..
There definitely is led lights with halogen reflectors. I am sure they are little better than the regular lights.
Old 04-25-21, 06:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The issue I have found with LEDs and to a lesser extent HIDs is the volume of light. So, they are brighter and the color temp makes contrasts stand out more, but absent the right kind of reflectors there seems to be more volume of light in a halogen lamp right focused in the center area of the beam. Thats an issue that is addressed in more advanced LED light systems.

The Matrix LED lights in my S Class are the most incredible headlights I have ever had in a car. They are truly amazing.
Old 04-25-21, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Frankly, you would have to be blind not to nice the difference between a good set of LEDs or HIDs and halogens lol.

No difference?
Well, I haven't sampled every possible comparison, particularly at night. I'm sure there are some cases where you do get a better view with LEDs, That's why I was careful to notate "in my experience".

And, even so, most of Northern Virginia, where I live, is so well-lit at night that one doesn't need million-candlepower lights up front. You can't even see most of the stars and planets on a clear night...only the very brightest ones. Contrast with that in WV where you are from...you can probably see the Milky Way.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-21 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-25-21, 07:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, I haven't sampled every possible comparison, particularly at night. I'm sure there are some cases where you do get a better view with LEDs, That's why I was careful to notate "in my experience".

And, even so, most of Northern Virginia, where I live, is so well-lit at night that one doesn't need million-candlepower lights up front. You can't even see most of the stars and planets on a clear night...only the very brightest ones. Contrast with that in WV where you are from...you can probably see the Milky Way.
Its in almost every case. Even in well lit areas, HID and LED are just superior in almost any application. When you get outside of well lit areas obviously the difference is even more massive. The issue is you're not living with a car driving it at night when you're just on a test drive, 9 times out of 10 which occurs during the day.

You can definitely see the Milky Way from our family home in WV
Old 04-25-21, 07:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, I'm in NYC so to me even Northern Virginia feels like countryside, lol. In well lit areas headlights become less important of course, but you really start to appreciate the difference on a dark road.

And again, its important to understand that not all LEDs are created the same. I probably posted it before, but there are LED direct replacement bulbs that probably produce less light than the halogen bulbs they were meant to replace. And then there are complex multi projector headlight with LED arrays that cost thousands of dollars, and they are so vastly superior that it's not even a comparison.
Old 04-25-21, 07:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Its in almost every case. Even in well lit areas, HID and LED are just superior in almost any application. When you get outside of well lit areas obviously the difference is even more massive. The issue is you're not living with a car driving it at night when you're just on a test drive, 9 times out of 10 which occurs during the day.

You can definitely see the Milky Way from our family home in WV
One other thing to consider, even in brightly lit areas, a car with better headlights is likely to be better seen by other drivers. This is why motorcyclists often equip their bikes with additional auxiliary lights, to be better seen.
Old 04-25-21, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
One other thing to consider, even in brightly lit areas, a car with better headlights is likely to be better seen by other drivers. This is why motorcyclists often equip their bikes with additional auxiliary lights, to be better seen.
Very true.....
Old 04-26-21, 11:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
One other thing to consider, even in brightly lit areas, a car with better headlights is likely to be better seen by other drivers.

........as long as they are not blinded.

On the AUTO headlight-setting, my Encore GX gets around at least part of that by automatically varying the headlights between high and low-beams, according to what the sensor sees in oncoming vehicle headlights. While not perfect (some side-influences on the lighting can fool it), most of the time it works quite well, and is MUCH better than earlier systems that claimed to do the same thing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-26-21 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-26-21, 11:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

ON the AUTO headlight-setting, my Encore GX gets around at least part of that by automatically varying the headlights between high and low-beams, according to what the sensor sees in oncoming vehicle headlights. While not perfect (some side-influences on the lighting can fool it), most of the time it works quite well, and is MUCH better than earlier systems that claimed to do the same thing.
I have that too.. I like it..but don't love it....gets a little annoying...but at least my new 4R has projector LEDs
Old 04-26-21, 12:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Yes, and with proper optics there is actually less glare than with old reflector halogen lights.
Old 04-26-21, 05:09 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Och
Well, I'm in NYC so to me even Northern Virginia feels like countryside, lol. In well lit areas headlights become less important of course, but you really start to appreciate the difference on a dark road.

And again, its important to understand that not all LEDs are created the same. I probably posted it before, but there are LED direct replacement bulbs that probably produce less light than the halogen bulbs they were meant to replace. And then there are complex multi projector headlight with LED arrays that cost thousands of dollars, and they are so vastly superior that it's not even a comparison.
I went through this with my SC300. I tried some expensive LED bulbs and it was worse than halogen most of the time. This was seven years ago and I ended up going back to halogens for a while.

The replacement bulbs don’t compare to those expensive LED arrays you mentioned. I drove many newer Lexus with the triple beam LED headlights and they lit up the road very well. I would love to put something like that into my SC and GS but it would cost a fortune.
Old 04-27-21, 07:06 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
I went through this with my SC300. I tried some expensive LED bulbs and it was worse than halogen most of the time. This was seven years ago and I ended up going back to halogens for a while.

The replacement bulbs don’t compare to those expensive LED arrays you mentioned. I drove many newer Lexus with the triple beam LED headlights and they lit up the road very well. I would love to put something like that into my SC and GS but it would cost a fortune.
Well, at least those LED direct replacement bulbs are generally not offensive. More or less like the trendy blue coated bulbs in the late 90ies that were trying to imitate the look of HIDs with bluish colored light, the actual light output is less than halogen, and they don't produce glare that blinds other drivers. Compare that with all the HID kits that were popular until recent, and the blinding glare they produced when installed in reflector housing.

There is a new potential trend in development, there are already aftermarket laser bulb replacements. They are only suitable for high beams, but unlike halogen or HID/LED, laser emitters produce a lot more concentrated spotlight beam, with a an extremely long throw. They are many times more blinding than any other type of high beam lights, and in an OEM application there is no way to activate them manually. They are only activated automatically when vehicle cameras do not detect any oncoming or nearby traffic ahead. Once people get ahold of these aftermarket lasers and start using them improperly, it can cause a lot of hazard.
Old 04-27-21, 02:49 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
The leap from halogens to HIDs was huge. Not a real fan of LEDs in terms of being blinded by them.
Yes I have the same issues especially when it's a Jacked up Jeep or truck, some of them blind theirselves when I point my rear view mirror at them!

Quick Reply: Headlight technology has come so far...