Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Headlight technology has come so far...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-21 | 11:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It’s interesting that it is “NEED” that is holding you back. I figure the cost as it is extra cost feature.

I mean, the science is pretty obvious…two LEDs are better than none for keeping you out of the hospital on a long drive at night because more light offers more visibility which means they are safe and effective as well as being very efficient….but I get it, your vehicle…your choice

I also have good eyes for someone my age. When I was flying, I saw how critically important good vision was...particularly on approach and landing.
Old 09-26-21 | 11:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I also have good eyes for someone my age..
So if you have eyes that were not good, would want the LEDs to make up for the eye deficiency?

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Agreed, its just measurably better.
It makes no sense to suggest non LEDs lights are superior. when there are independent tests that show otherwise. There is also the ‘reflector’ and “projector” thing as well.
Old 09-26-21 | 11:37 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

So if you have eyes that were not good, would want the LEDs to make up for the eye deficiency?

I mean, I have poor vision and the LEDs in my WRX made a world of difference when I got the car....
Old 09-26-21 | 11:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I also have good eyes for someone my age. When I was flying, I saw how critically important good vision was...particularly on approach and landing.
So do I, but as we age you also have to take into account reflexes, reaction time etc. Anything that can help as we age (lighting, safety systems, comfort etc.) is helpful and a good thing.
Old 09-26-21 | 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I'm fortunate enough to be blessed with good eyesight, so I figure, I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it. I've earned in the past to never try and predict the future....too many things can change.

It makes no sense to suggest non LEDs lights are superior. when there are independent tests that show otherwise. There is also the ‘reflector’ and “projector” thing as well.
LOL. First, I don't particularly care if they are "superior" or not....my life doesn't revolve around candlepower. Second, read what Consumer Reports has to say about the Chevy Trailblazer's halogen headlights....which use the same hardware as the Encore GX.
Originally Posted by Consumer Reports

Headlights

Standard halogen headlights may not provide the bright, white light of LEDs, but they don’t need it as they do a very good job of lighting the road ahead and to the sides with both low and high beams. The level of visibility actually exceeds the performance of many LED equipped vehicles even though intensity is less. GM’s Intellibeam automatic high beam system is also standard and can help drivers take advantage of the additional high beam visibility as often as traffic and conditions allow by automatically switching to high beams. LED headlights are optional on higher trims.
Old 09-26-21 | 01:18 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Here is an independent headlight test for the Encore GX

top is non LED. Bottom is LED. There is science and testing behind all of it

You can't just look at the analysis for 1 vehicle to conclude that halogen or LED or HID is better. There are aspects of intensity, light disbursement, and projection that ultimately determine whether the headlights for Car A are better than Car B. But that analysis for particular cars doesn't translate to the technology as a whole.
Old 09-26-21 | 01:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

It's not a case of admitting or not admitting anything. I don't need LEDs. Fact. End of arguement. If I actually NEEDED them, I would have bought a vehicle with them.
No one said you needed them. What 1 individual "needs" or not has nothing to do with what technology is better. I don't know why you are internalizing posts about the technology -- no one is challenging your preferences. People don't "need" power windows or door locks -- but no one's arguing manual windows or door locks are "better", or "door locks are door locks".
Old 09-26-21 | 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's not a case of admitting or not admitting anything. I don't need LEDs. Fact. End of arguement. If I actually NEEDED them, I would have bought a vehicle with them.
As was said above, you "needing" them, and admitting that they are superior are two different things. I drove cars with halogen headlights for a long time, and I survived, that doesnt mean that modern HID and LED headlights are not vastly superior, because they are and that's a quantifiable fact. The data proving that the LED option is superior in your very car is posted in this thread.
Old 12-27-21 | 09:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
On a new car yeah, but I don't know if I agree with that for a classic car. For instance I have an expensive LED light on my motorcycle, and it makes a night and day difference in illuminating the road compared to the old halogen, but I would like if it had the traditional yellow halogen color. My neighbor has a nicely restored Monte Carlo, and he is using a set of rectangular LED headlights, and they are brighter than the sun but don't look period correct.

If you remember 10 years ago when household LEDs first started to appear, they were all trendy cool white color, but a short while after a bunch of warm white LEDs flooded the market. I think we might the same for retrofit headlights as well.
Holley, a company known for supplying all kinds of parts for classic cars, is now selling "Retrobright" line of LED headlights. They are reflector housings, with a choice of different temperature LEDs from yellow to warm white, to cool white. Surely, they are not as effective as modern projector optics, but probably far better than old sealed beam headlight, while still looking period correct.

https://www.holley.com/products/exte...nd_headlights/
Old 12-27-21 | 09:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One of the things I've noticed about today's headlight technology is how well the electronic automatic-high/low-beam-adjusters work in today's vehicles. The old plastic torpedo-shaped headlight-dimmers, with the photo-eye in front, that used to sit on the dash....those things were a joke, and I don't say that lightly. I had one of those in a 60s-vintage Buick, and I think it actually worked only once in the year that I owned it.

In contrast, the electronic system in my 2021 Encore GX is a pleasure to watch......although not necessarily 100% perfect, it's probably 95-99% effective in raising/lowering the beams (and showing the blue high-beam indicator) in response to street-lighting and/or oncoming traffic at night.
Old 12-27-21 | 09:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Has this been posted?

Old 12-27-21 | 10:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Not this particular one, but we talked about adaptive headlights. Now that they are legal in the US, expect them to become very popular in the next few years, if the chip shortage gets resolved.
Old 12-28-21 | 02:34 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Can't wait until Tesla's FW gets updated to take advantage of the matrix LEDs that are even standard on the low end Model 3 models. Example of what they can do even now:

Old 12-28-21 | 04:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

One of the things I've noticed about today's headlight technology is how well the electronic automatic-high/low-beam-adjusters work in today's vehicles. The old plastic torpedo-shaped headlight-dimmers, with the photo-eye in front, that used to sit on the dash....those things were a joke, and I don't say that lightly. I had one of those in a 60s-vintage Buick, and I think it actually worked only once in the year that I owned it.

In contrast, the electronic system in my 2021 Encore GX is a pleasure to watch......although not necessarily 100% perfect, it's probably 95-99% effective in raising/lowering the beams (and showing the blue high-beam indicator) in response to street-lighting and/or oncoming traffic at night.
Yeah it's amazing how better technology works after 60 years of development and innovation.
Old 12-28-21 | 04:53 AM
evident
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Those headlights were pretty early in the world of LED headlights. They have improved dramatically.
Very true. My 17 MDX Hybrid LED Headlights are amazing. I think the auto highbeam /lowbeam feature is too slow to react and may blind oncoming traffic though!

Quick Reply: Headlight technology has come so far...