Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Headlight technology has come so far...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-21, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yeah it's amazing how better technology works after 60 years of development and innovation.

That's not the case with everything automotive, though. IMO, some of today's E-shifters and buttons absolutely s***, even if they do free up more space on the console.
Old 12-28-21, 09:45 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's not the case with everything automotive, though. IMO, some of today's E-shifters and buttons absolutely s***, even if they do free up more space on the console.
They also get rid of nearly all physical control cables and simplify control at the ECU level. It's far cheaper to use the same controller across 20 models vs a dedicated setup for each one.
Old 12-28-21, 09:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Yet you won’t acknowledge that those who have the Toyota gated shifter might really like them.
Old 12-28-21, 10:45 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It is virtually impossible for companies to offer direct linkage on the shifter, gas pedal, and hand brake anymore because of the way stability systems interact with the drivetrain. This is also why we are seeing electronic steering almost universally across the board. I wonder if we'll ever see a system where there is no mechanical linkage between the brakes and the brake pedal.

That being said, while not all tech is good, when it comes to headlights the new tech is so awesome it almost makes me wish we had more pitch dark roads so my headlights would get a proper work out. With so much "light pollution" here in NYC, even remote areas are lit up from all the lights reflecting from the sky at night.
Old 12-28-21, 11:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

But those auto transmissions with 8, 9, 10 speeds are technologically superior to those old ones you love in every other way. I'll take an 8-speed modern A/T with buttons, dials or even mind control every day of the week over my 1978 3-speed A/T column shifter.
Old 12-28-21, 11:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It is virtually impossible for companies to offer direct linkage on the shifter, gas pedal, and hand brake anymore because of the way stability systems interact with the drivetrain. This is also why we are seeing electronic steering almost universally across the board. I wonder if we'll ever see a system where there is no mechanical linkage between the brakes and the brake pedal.
Yep, it's coming:

https://newatlas.com/automotive/brem...brake-by-wire/

Current brake by wire systems have a valve that opens automatically in the event of system failure to allow the hydraulic system to be activated by the (not normally connected) brake pedal. The Brembo system will likely be one of--if not the--first to eliminate the hydraulic system completely.
Old 12-28-21, 12:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
But those auto transmissions with 8, 9, 10 speeds are technologically superior to those old ones you love in every other way. I'll take an 8-speed modern A/T with buttons, dials or even mind control every day of the week over my 1978 3-speed A/T column shifter.

Well, your premise is off. I don't necessarily love older transmissions. Three-speed non-overdrive automatics, IMO, didn't match well with small four cylinders......even in high gear, the engines simply spun too fast once you got up past 60 MPH or so on the Interstate. And the four-speed overdrive transmissions had too wide a ratio between third and fourth. We didn't really see some decent compromises, IMO, until the five-speeds.
Old 12-28-21, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Yep, it's coming:

https://newatlas.com/automotive/brem...brake-by-wire/

Current brake by wire systems have a valve that opens automatically in the event of system failure to allow the hydraulic system to be activated by the (not normally connected) brake pedal. The Brembo system will likely be one of--if not the--first to eliminate the hydraulic system completely.

In the meantime, just a hypothetical question.......would you want to be one of the Guinea-Pigs that actually tests the long-term reliability of those brake-by-wire systems in customer-hands? I'm not sure I'd want to be...look at what is happening with some Teslas and their overly-advanced driving systems.

Several years ago, for example, when I reviewed a new Infiniti Q50, it was one of the few vehicles in the American market (perhaps the only one)? to offer the optional Adaptive Steer-by-Wire system (with a so-called emergency manual back-up). I was nervous enough of that system that I deliberately looked for a Q50 with the conventional steering before actually taking it out on the road.
Old 12-28-21, 12:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

In the meantime, just a hypothetical question.......would you want to be one of the Guinea-Pigs that actually tests the long-term reliability of those brake-by-wire systems in customer-hands? I'm not sure I'd want to be...look at what is happening with some Teslas and their overly-advanced driving systems.

Several years ago, for example, when I reviewed a new Infiniti Q50, it was one of the few vehicles in the American market (perhaps the only one)? to offer the optional Adaptive Steer-by-Wire system (with a so-called emergency manual back-up). I was nervous enough of that system that I deliberately looked for a Q50 with the conventional steering before actually taking it out on the road.
Brake by wire systems have been out for a while now, just with a backup hydraulic system. Your Encore GX has such a system. They are very reliable. Lots can go wrong with an hydraulic braking system too.
Old 12-28-21, 12:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We're also getting somewhat off-topic....admittedly, partially my fault.
Old 12-28-21, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Toyota still uses a cable directly attached to the transmission in the 4Runner, Sequoia and outgoing Land Cruiser and LX570. Not sure if the new Tundra has switched. And why would the stability systems not be able to work with the older systems?

Originally Posted by Och
] This is also why we are seeing electronic steering almost universally across the board.
Outside of North America, the all new Land Cruiser still uses the hydraulic steering system with fluid in the 3.5 and the 3.3. The LX600 uses an electric power motor in place.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Brake by wire systems have been out for a while now, just with a backup hydraulic system. Your Encore GX has such a system. They are very reliable. Lots can go wrong with an hydraulic braking system too.
100%. My 04 Runner had some brake line issues. And last summer there was slight seeping of the power steering lines as it came out of one of the coolers. My mechanic just bypassed the direct line and added a solution to correct the problem. I think the electric power steering is the way forward, I'd have no issue with it in the next gen 4R which I am sure will be electric motor for the steering. I would be happy if the fluids were gone. No hydraulic systems will help with fuel and power efficiency as the engine now longer has to power the steering system in the same way.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-28-21 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-28-21, 01:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota still uses a cable directly attached to the transmission in the 4Runner, Sequoia and outgoing Land Cruiser and LX570. Not sure if the new Tundra has switched. And why would the stability systems not be able to work with the older systems?
As cars become more autonomous you need electronic control systems.
Old 12-28-21, 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

As cars become more autonomous you need electronic control systems.
I agree. It is also cheaper. But the older system doesn't mean you can add these new features. Och wasn't talking about autonomous, he mentioned stability stuff
Old 12-28-21, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. It is also cheaper. But the older system doesn't mean you can add these new features. Och wasn't talking about autonomous, he mentioned stability stuff
I wouldn't say its cheaper at all, its cheaper to maintain but cables and hydraulic pumps are pretty cheap compared to sensors and computer modules.

Autonomous stuff and stability stuff become part of the same thing as they become more sophisticated. If you have a system that modulates power, takes over braking and steering in certain situations its much easier to accomplish that with electronic systems than manually actuated systems.
Old 12-28-21, 02:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't say its cheaper at all, its cheaper to maintain but cables and hydraulic pumps are pretty cheap compared to sensors and computer modules.

Autonomous stuff and stability stuff become part of the same thing as they become more sophisticated. If you have a system that modulates power, takes over braking and steering in certain situations its much easier to accomplish that with electronic systems than manually actuated systems.
My 04 has all kinds of stuff. It has brake hold for hills. Down hill brake modulation. A-Trac. Stability control. New one has full speed radar cruise, lane keep alert (but no assist) in addition to what was offered in 04. All of that stuff can be added. Both have engine cut off if you use the wrong pedals. The older system can definitely be retrofitted. I disagree that it is not cheaper for the manufacturer, moving to electric stuff is gonna be cheaper. There are lots of electric parts of the engine that used to be all belt-drive and mechanical. They do all this to save $$$

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-28-21 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight technology has come so far...