Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Headlight technology has come so far...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-20, 02:03 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This even has halogen DRLs
A car sold in 2017 with the standard features of a car from 2007... way to go Jaguar. Is the base model's only reason for existence to be in fleets?
Old 09-13-20, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Yeah! It’s not great.
Old 09-13-20, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
A car sold in 2017 with the standard features of a car from 2007... way to go Jaguar. Is the base model's only reason for existence to be in fleets?

Maybe, just maybe, Jaguar is not convinced that the extra cost and expense of the latest headlight designs is worth putting them in their vehicles. Perhaps they see it as only a little more candlepower from the lights, at a lot of added cost.
Old 09-13-20, 03:40 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe, just maybe, Jaguar is not convinced that the extra cost and expense of the latest headlight designs is worth putting them in their vehicles.
That's a terrible excuse for a new vehicle that starts at $45K.
Old 09-13-20, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe, just maybe, Jaguar is not convinced that the extra cost and expense of the latest headlight designs is worth putting them in their vehicles. Perhaps they see it as only a little more candlepower from the lights, at a lot of added cost.
Except that they do offer them as added cost options...

Your opinion that HID and LED lights aren't a substantial improvement is simply born from lack of experience. If you drove what I drive every day, and then went to this F Pace only a blind person wouldn't see the dramatic difference in light output.

Its hard to find good pictures online that convey the scope of the difference but this is pretty good:

On the left is halogen, right is LED. Upper is low beam, lower is high beam. Nobody would say the difference is not dramatic (well, you will even though you actually will see the difference you just wont admit it) . And this is on a truck that doesnt have the advanced technology that goes with LED lighting in cars like adaptive swivel and selective dimming.

Nobody would choose the lighting on the left. You'll say you would but thats stubbornness talking.
Old 09-13-20, 03:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The only reason they still make halogens is to that they can sell HID/LED/Laser as an option. There are plenty of "base" models from premium manufacturers that still come with halogen. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 09-13-20, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nobody would choose the lighting on the left. You'll say you would but thats stubbornness talking.

First, I would not necessarily chose it. Second, it's not stubbornness. I'm not an ego-driven person. I'm not saying that LEDs or HIDs aren't better. I only questioned if they were worth the huge added cost. I mean, heck, if you want to spend enough, (and the law would allow it), you could mount a military-grade searchlight on a vehicle and get better vision, too...at the cost of blinding everyone else.

But, like with some other threads, I don't see a reason to keep going on and on about it. You're at least partially correct that I (recently) don't do a whole lot of night-driving, for several reasons...maybe once a week or so, and in some generally well-lit areas. But, in my life, I've driven as far as Ohio and back in darkness, across the mountains.
Old 09-13-20, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is a pretty good comparison also. Fast forward to 5:33. Again, the difference is undeniable. This will also show you the selective dimming the DOT wont let us have here:

9:50 for lux tests. Output is TWICE as much LED vs halogen on low beams and nearly 3 TIMES MORE on high beam. Matrix LED nearly 5 TIMES MORE.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-13-20 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 04:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

I'll never understand the appeal of laser lights. Not only are they government-restricted from performing at full output, they're also unusable on dense traffic-ridden highways unlike matrix LED's. It's almost as if they were designed exclusively for driving by yourself at midnight on the autobahn.
Old 09-13-20, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
I'll never understand the appeal of laser lights. Not only are they government-restricted from performing at full output, they're also unusable on dense traffic-ridden highways unlike matrix LED's. It's almost as if they were designed exclusively for driving by yourself at midnight on the autobahn.
Thats exactly what they're for. If you did a lot of driving on dark highways they would be a benefit. otherwise they are regular matrix LED.
Old 09-13-20, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

First, I would not necessarily chose it. Second, it's not stubbornness. I'm not an ego-driven person. I'm not saying that LEDs or HIDs aren't better. I only questioned if they were worth the huge added cost. I mean, heck, if you want to spend enough, (and the law would allow it), you could mount a military-grade searchlight on a vehicle and get better vision, too...at the cost of blinding everyone else.
Not gonna touch the first part, but what is the "huge added cost"?

Most people will not own a car long enough to have to replace an LED light module. LEDs do not burn out the way that halogens do. You will however need to replace halogen bulbs every 3-5 years.

The only potential cost is body repair costs, which you are insured against. In the unlikely case you do have an accident where you have to replace a headlamp, sure there is added cost. But, in my entire driving history of 24 years I have only replaced the headlight modules on a car once, when my Sedona was in that fire. In fact, in the entire 39 years I have been alive, even if I took into account my parents' driving history, my dad had to replace one headlamp module in his 1990 Lincoln because of an accident. Otherwise, thats it. So, 3 headlights in 40 years of history taking into account 4 different drivers (my father, mother wife and me) and man, 25 cars at least...not very common.

And as the video showed, the tradeoff is 2-5 times more light output...and that better light makes frontal accidents that would require replacement of a headlight LESS common. I think the tradeoff is well worth it.

All technology increases repair costs. My Lexus has like 5 forward sensors that complicate grill repairs, bumper repairs, windshield replacements. That doesnt mean those technologies are not worthwhile.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-13-20 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 04:47 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A comment in another thread reminded me to start this thread I had been thinking about.

Its been a long time since I've had a car with halogen headlights, it was my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My LS460L has LEDs, my LS460 had HIDs, my GS had HIDs, etc etc. Pacificas and Sedona and 2014 Jeep all had HIDs. Its actually been all the way back to before 2003 since I have had a daily driver that had halogen headlights. My wife's 2004 Prius even had HIDs. This rental Jaguar F Pace I have had for the past month while my LS has been in the shop has Halogen projector headlights, and I am astonished by how terrible they are. How did we used to deal with such terrible lighting from a car?

Bearing in mind, headlights have advanced well beyond what I have. It took a little getting used to, but the LEDs in my 2017 LS are much better than the HIDs in the Pacifica or what I had on other Lexus vehicles. The volume of light is less than HID, and thats what took some getting used to, but the light is crisp and white and now HIDs look kinda yellow by comparison. You have active matrix LEDs, Laser LEDs, and the selective dimming tech we sadly aren't allowed to have here anymore.

Has anybody else gone back to halogens lately and see what I mean?
When I bought my Acura in 2000 with xenons, I thought for sure that there would be no halogen headlights within 10 years. I'm still amazed that cars are sold with halogens--I have no interest in any car with them.
Old 09-13-20, 04:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bear in mind this Jaguar has keyless start, but not keyless entry. It’s totally base. It doesn’t even have any interior courtesy lighting.
That's just embarrassing.
Old 09-13-20, 04:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lack of keyless entry WITH keyless start is worse than having no keyless entry and keyed start. Issue is I have to take the key out (which is a normal looking keyless entry fob) to unlock it, then put it back into my pocket or lay it in the car where I aways forget it and walk off. At least without keyless start the key goes into the ignition.

And then at night I have to use my phone to find the key in the passenger seat because there is no interior lighting. And this is a JAGUAR. When I tell people I'm so tired of driving this Jaguar they look at me like I have 5 heads and I'm like "drive it, its not what you're expecting" lol

Originally Posted by tex2670
When I bought my Acura in 2000 with xenons, I thought for sure that there would be no halogen headlights within 10 years. I'm still amazed that cars are sold with halogens--I have no interest in any car with them.
Driving along, I certainly see more cars with HIDs/LEDs than I used to. I remember when we got the LS400 with HIDs and seeing another car with HIDs was a huge deal, and it was quite often another LS400. I am really surprised though that most cars still have halogens.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-13-20 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 05:10 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what a joke
The heck?!?! Halogen, Xenon, and LED?! Why all 3?! Seems like needless options and an manufacturing/assembly nightmare. Crazy.

Quick Reply: Headlight technology has come so far...