Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Headlight technology has come so far...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20, 09:42 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, light is measured in units of either Candlepower or Lumens. Of course, as you point out, how they are are pointed, and how wide a beam they produce can make a big difference in what you actually can see with your eyes.

Although I am generally not a fan of Cadillacs, one system that I like and have a lot of respect for (although I have never actually owned one) is their Infrared Night-Vision system, which uses military and police-type technology to detect persons/animals and vehicles at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuVXozV6Yj4
Didn't the Lexus LX have these over 10 years ago or is this different and new technology?
Old 09-16-20, 09:48 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
That video was more of a comparison between different techs, but I wonder about optics.

That being said, my new X6M has laser lights, and I haven't even really tested them at night yet. I need to research in how they work, I understand in USA it is illegal to have the tech that they have in Europe with selective high beam, but maybe the car already has the tech and can be reprogrammed to enable it.
If the laser lights work like the 3 series, you need to set the high beams to auto and have to be going over 40mph with no one around. From what I understand you can code them to be enabled more like that of the European models. Given the cost and limited use, I didn't option my M340 with them.
Old 09-16-20, 09:51 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Yep I know what you mean, every time I use my Jeep at night I feel nearly blind since it's a 2000 that doesn't even have fog lights and I didn't upgrade the bulbs. Everything else has really powerful HID/LED or updated halogens that easily light up everything within 200 yards but the old Jeep just plain sucks.

Worst part is the reflector design is horrid and has so many dead zones and areas you literally can't adjust to have light consistently. Worst is a dead zone about 70? yards right in the middle of the road that is dark. Huge difference vs projector systems with LEDs that just equally cover everything below the cutoff or even old style round reflector type halogens that do the same with a less effective cutoff. The housing shape of reflector type systems really effects coverage dramatically and cranking up the output doesn't help it if the pattern is bad.

Last edited by Striker223; 09-16-20 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-16-20, 10:24 AM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the progress in the last 5 years or so has been dramatic; but there's definitely something to be said for specific implementations of each technology. I have 5 cars with different setups so it's interesting to compare:

• The HID headlights in my LS430 are fantastic; the lens and reflector design make both low and high beams super bright with good throw.
  • I'm not that impressed with the LEDs in my 600 but I think the aim is off. They are brighter for sure but the throw is not that good. The highs are not LED and dramatically not as bright; not even as good as the 430.
  • The halogens in my 560 are terrible. I'm constantly adjusting the aim and will probably try to upgrade them if at all possible.
  • The (I'm guessing halogens?) projectors on the SC are ok. The highs are super bright. Polishing the plastic lenses definitely made a difference. Interestingly the highs are in a separate enclosure (with glass lenses) so maybe that allows them to be more optimized.
  • I'm always amazed at the (ancient sealed beam) headlights of the 240D. They are pretty good for a car that's 40 years old!
The LEDs with the auto high-low in my parents RX are by far better than any of my systems; and usually we're driving on deserted roads in NM so you need as much light as you can get. The auto high-low function is impressive; the engineer in me keeps asking "how do they do it?"

Usually these days I'm driving in LA under street lights but when making runs out to Malibu sections of the PCH get pretty dark; so some cars I feel safer than others.

With the advent of separate modules it's easier now for automakers to be more precise as to how much light to throw out and where; and with AFS it can move for specific use cases. The stuff just coming out is amazing; with Bladescan and seemingly the new S Class using DMD mirror tech they can now 'punch holes' in the high beams for drivers and pedestrians in the throw of the lights. Soon we'll be able to see everything everywhere; but it wont' matter because the car will be driving.
Old 09-16-20, 01:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Didn't the Lexus LX have these over 10 years ago or is this different and new technology?

Yes, the LX had a similar system (infrared camera) as far back as 2002.....Cadillac has also has that system for years. But very few LX models were actually sold (it never really has been a big seller)...Cadillac, in contrast, is a mass-producer. As to whether it is new and different technology today, as far as I know, it is the same basic system today, but, of course, with many improvements and better reliability.
Old 09-16-20, 02:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Old 09-16-20, 02:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

FWIW I just took a drive around for a while, and noticed 2 different Mercedes AMGs with broken LED front-work.

Also, if this hasn't been brought up....remember when xenons came out, it wasn't just that they looked cool....they were functional because they "make surroundings look more naturally lit" than with halogens. That was the objective.

Also I saw someone say LS400 had projector headlights, that is incorrect. Just a xenon bulb. No projectors until the LS430 refresh.
Old 09-16-20, 03:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Conventional projectors have their own problems trying to get a clean, usable cut off line is a challenge most fail. Even the best ones are not ideal, that's why were are seeing LEDs with multiple projection points.
Old 09-16-20, 03:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Got rid of the Jag and got my LS back. I'm going to go take a drive tonight in the dark just to enjoy the headlights
Old 09-16-20, 03:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Just don't break a headlight new one is $3500.
Old 09-16-20, 03:32 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the LX had a similar system (infrared camera) as far back as 2002.....Cadillac has also has that system for years. But very few LX models were actually sold (it never really has been a big seller)...Cadillac, in contrast, is a mass-producer. As to whether it is new and different technology today, as far as I know, it is the same basic system today, but, of course, with many improvements and better reliability.
I don’t think Caddy sold many DTSs with that, though. I personally hardly ever saw any. Pretty cool tech for 20 years ago, though.
Old 09-16-20, 03:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Got rid of the Jag and got my LS back. I'm going to go take a drive tonight in the dark just to enjoy the headlights
Do the LEDs “turn” more than the old xenons?

How did the collision repair turn out, BTW?

Old 09-16-20, 05:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Just don't break a headlight new one is $3500.
Haha, I’ll be careful!

Originally Posted by AJT123
Do the LEDs “turn” more than the old xenons?

How did the collision repair turn out, BTW?
Yeah they are more adaptive. Turned out great! Have to spend more time going over it
Old 09-16-20, 05:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Enjoy your Mark Levinson too while you're at it. When you switch to BMW or that Benz, you'll be in for disappointment.

Old 09-16-20, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Enjoy your Mark Levinson too while you're at it. When you switch to BMW or that Benz, you'll be in for disappointment.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Hard to beat the ML....particularly in the LS.

Quick Reply: Headlight technology has come so far...