Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Headlight technology has come so far...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 09:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, Gotcha.....assuming that the part about not blinding the other drivers actually works.
It works, and apparently very effective. It is even available on VWs and Corollas in Europe. Audi has been very active in working with NHTSA to bring this tech to the US, but it has been a slow process due to all the bureaucracy.
Old 02-16-21, 10:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Interesting read, the US regulations when it comes to headlights was always behind the times, and headlights on the US spec cars were always subpar compared to European headlights. The US government mandated sealed headlights from 1940 to 1984, with no replaceable bulbs. Not only that, but they required all headlights to be the same shape/size - first 7" round, the 5-3/4" round, then rectangular - thus all the older American cars essentially had the same exact headlights.

https://www.carid.com/articles/brief...hts-in-us.html
Old 02-17-21, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

OK, Gotcha.....assuming that the part about not blinding the other drivers actually works.
It works. The ability to focus the light is pretty amazing
Old 02-17-21, 02:52 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It works, and apparently very effective. It is even available on VWs and Corollas in Europe. Audi has been very active in working with NHTSA to bring this tech to the US, but it has been a slow process due to all the bureaucracy.
i know we're talking about headlights here but that reminds me of how its also banned in the US to have the brake lights strobe under very heavy braking, the idea itself sounds great since there's no real way to tell how hard someone is braking
Old 02-17-21, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i know we're talking about headlights here but that reminds me of how its also banned in the US to have the brake lights strobe under very heavy braking, the idea itself sounds great since there's no real way to tell how hard someone is braking
Many newer vehicles, though (my GX is one of them) flash a large red warning patch and an alarm on the DIC in front of the steering wheel is someone in front of you is braking hard or if you are approaching a vehicle in front of you too fast.
Old 02-19-21, 08:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Many newer vehicles, though (my GX is one of them) flash a large red warning patch and an alarm on the DIC in front of the steering wheel is someone in front of you is braking hard or if you are approaching a vehicle in front of you too fast.
Enclave in my family does that, a big red flash and beep-- no actual braking though.

On topic, said Enclave has absolutely amazing headlights. They are A+++++.

I don't think they are particularly high tech either, just bi-xenon.

They're so good it's like having the sun at the front of the vehicle, especially the brights.
Old 02-22-21, 04:58 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Regarding low beams, for the most part, more light is better FOR THE DRIVER. For oncoming traffic, not so much! I fondly remember the days when all vehicles had the same headlights, and one was only blinded by oncoming headlights when they weren't adjusted properly. At such time, a cop would ticket the offending vehicle with a fix-it ticket.

Fast forward to today and it's the "wild west" when it comes to vehicle lighting. While the new OEM lighting tech is great and just what the doctor ordered for senior drivers such as myself, all this aftermarket upgrade crap being installed to replace old halogen bulbs is throwing light all over the place and unfortunately into the eyes of oncoming drivers! I don't think these products have any place on our highways and should be banned in America. Get with it NHTSA!

Personally, I have an astigmatism and I'm working on a cataract in one eye. I find looking at some LED automobile lighting to be almost painful. My optometrist says to get used to it, as it only gets worse with age and LED's are destine to replace all other lighting types. I'm hoping tech can solve this issue with some sort of "LED diffuser" to make the light more compatible with oncoming older eyes. Remember, we'll all be there some day!
Old 02-22-21, 05:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Regarding low beams, for the most part, more light is better FOR THE DRIVER. For oncoming traffic, not so much! I fondly remember the days when all vehicles had the same headlights, and one was only blinded by oncoming headlights when they weren't adjusted properly. At such time, a cop would ticket the offending vehicle with a fix-it ticket.

Fast forward to today and it's the "wild west" when it comes to vehicle lighting. While the new OEM lighting tech is great and just what the doctor ordered for senior drivers such as myself, all this aftermarket upgrade crap being installed to replace old halogen bulbs is throwing light all over the place and unfortunately into the eyes of oncoming drivers! I don't think these products have any place on our highways and should be banned in America. Get with it NHTSA!

Personally, I have an astigmatism and I'm working on a cataract in one eye. I find looking at some LED automobile lighting to be almost painful. My optometrist says to get used to it, as it only gets worse with age and LED's are destine to replace all other lighting types. I'm hoping tech can solve this issue with some sort of "LED diffuser" to make the light more compatible with oncoming older eyes. Remember, we'll all be there some day!
This is why we need the DOT to allow the matrix active light tech that they don't allow here. Thats specifically what that technology is designed to do, optimize light output for the driver while minimizing glare for oncoming drivers.
Old 02-22-21, 06:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

With proper optics there shouldn't be any issues with LED lights blinding oncoming drivers. Improperly aligned lights and aftermarket LED/HID swaps into reflector halogen housing is a whole another story. Although I do remember in the early 2000s it was either Lexus or Acura refusing to put HIDs in their larger SUVs even with projectors because of the concern of blinding other drivers. It was either the early Acura MDX or the GX/LX470.

If you have an eye condition where you suffer from being blinded by oncoming vehicles I suggest you switch to an SUV if you are driving a sedan, as the higher seating position makes a huge difference when it comes to not getting blinded, and make sure it is equipped with auto dimming side and rear mirrors.
Old 02-23-21, 06:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is why we need the DOT to allow the matrix active light tech that they don't allow here. Thats specifically what that technology is designed to do, optimize light output for the driver while minimizing glare for oncoming drivers.
It's an embarrassment that DOT doesn't allow this tech.
Old 02-23-21, 11:42 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
That's how I feel when driving our '15 GS at night (with HIDs) vs our '18 GS at night (with LEDs). The LED headlights on the '18 are worlds better than the HIDs on our '15. I feel as though the HIDs are borderline dangerous at night, especially now that they're bordering on 5/6 years old. Can't even imagine how much worse halogens would be.
I have a 2015 GS350 F-Sport, I'm fine with whatever lights came stock, but all these newer lights look like the Hi-beams are on when they are coming at me in the opposing lane at night, I can't even look at them especially if it's a lifted truck!
Old 04-25-21, 06:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Wanted to share a story, a little while back my daughters husband hit a deer, and his Honda sustained substantial damage. He decided not to keep it after the repair, and replaced it with a 2018 BMW 330i wagon. He's a bit of a tech geek, and apparently these wagons are some sort of a cult amongst the tech crowd. The car came with LED headlights, but they are not the premium BMW adaptive LEDs, they are basically just LED bulbs inside reflector housing. The light output is very poor, not any better than the base halogen headlights on old BMWs. When I first sat in the car I though I only had the parking lights on. They are not anywhere near as good as BMW's adaptive LED or even BMW's old HIDs. I reckon even many halogen headlights with proper projector optics will fare a lot better.
Old 04-25-21, 06:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah those are the ultra low end BMW headlights, I know exactly the lights you're talking about.
Old 04-25-21, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Wanted to share a story, a little while back my daughters husband hit a deer, and his Honda sustained substantial damage. He decided not to keep it after the repair, and replaced it with a 2018 BMW 330i wagon. He's a bit of a tech geek, and apparently these wagons are some sort of a cult amongst the tech crowd. The car came with LED headlights, but they are not the premium BMW adaptive LEDs, they are basically just LED bulbs inside reflector housing. The light output is very poor, not any better than the base halogen headlights on old BMWs. When I first sat in the car I though I only had the parking lights on. They are not anywhere near as good as BMW's adaptive LED or even BMW's old HIDs. I reckon even many halogen headlights with proper projector optics will fare a lot better.

You certainly won't get any arguments from me on your point of view here. I've currently got a Clubhouse thread going (which I know you've seen) on how much better household LED bulbs are than older types,. But, with vehicle headlights, at least from what I can tell, it's not the same experience....overall, at least from a few test drives, I haven't seen much difference between LEDs and a good set of halogens. However, I know there are some who disagree, and they will probably reply.
Old 04-25-21, 06:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You certainly won't get any arguments from me on your point of view here. I've currently got a Clubhouse thread going (which I know you've seen) on how much better household LED bulbs are than older types,. But, with vehicle headlights, at least from what I can tell, it's not the same experience....overall, at least from a few test drives, I haven't seen much difference between LEDs and a good set of halogens. However, I know there are some who disagree, and they will probably reply.
Frankly, you would have to be blind not to nice the difference between a good set of LEDs or HIDs and halogens lol.

No difference?

This is about you liking what you have lol

Quick Reply: Headlight technology has come so far...