Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS F Reportedly Coming With V8 Power, Again

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-20, 09:06 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus IS F Reportedly Coming With V8 Power, Again

Lexus IS F Reportedly Coming With V8 Power, Again
By Brett Foote

If a recent report is to be believed, we'll be seeing the return of the IS F very soon.

Old 09-14-20, 09:21 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

How? If toyota cancelled all V8 development?
Old 09-14-20, 09:28 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
How? If toyota cancelled all V8 development?
They could pop the existing 5.0 from the LC and RC-F in there, which is what the article is alluding to. But I agree it makes no sense, unless this is a swan song ala Mercedes V12 "final edition".
Old 09-14-20, 09:33 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

... and regurgitating the LS F, LC F, blah blah blah rumors too! Best Car Web (the source) is a clickbait site that has been pushing a new IS F for months, no clue why another regurgitation suddenly gets Club Lexus attention.
Old 09-14-20, 09:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If it is true I hope they don't make the same mistake they made with the RC-F and GS-F and price it too high. This is a older engine and they are putting it in a older model, there is no reason for a very big premium which will just turn buyers off.
Old 09-14-20, 10:30 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Not going to happen, the 3.5 V6 from the LS500 is more plausible.
Old 09-14-20, 11:06 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol not happening
Old 09-14-20, 01:15 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

It's funny how there's been this cycle of old killed-off rumors being regurgitated months after their death in regards to Lexus. A few months ago, it was the 5GS built on the Mirai platform, now it's this.
Old 09-14-20, 05:44 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

I wonder how much money the website makes every time someone goes to the main page and it automatically plays an anyclip video. It sure doesn’t help the user experience but the money must be great.
Old 09-14-20, 06:30 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

something about that photo makes it look dated.
Old 09-14-20, 06:41 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
something about that photo makes it look dated.
Its the subject in the photo ..... While I do like it, it's not setting the segment on fire. It's good enough to soldier on 2-3 more years.

As for a V8..... The Lexus engine lineup is so dead, we scoff at the rumor of this even being possible. Just a few short years ago, who would have thought.
Old 09-14-20, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Not buying it...
Old 09-15-20, 02:03 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

F is dead for this generation across the board until the next generation. Probably IS-F/IS500 was the plan at one point but it looks like they pretty much walked away from it. LC-F is dead as well. Supra guy gave an indication that the project is delayed instead of canceled but if it ever surfaces it will be way too late cause it was already late to begin with. Toyota is an absolute record holder when it comes to V8 turbo development, it took them 13 years to go from a working concept in Germany to almost being introduced in LC and then canceled. The most solvent car manufacturer in the world can't develop a family of turbo engines across the board and can't make RWD platform sustainable. They are waiting for Mazda to develop a turbo inline-six in order to share the cost together with RWD platfom that will be bound to Lexus premium products, unbelivable.

Toyota was whole decade ahead in hybrid technology yet none of it was adjusted for premium Lexus. First gen GS450h was a glimpse of what it could have been with all the promises in advancments in battery, electric compnents etc while in reality all the advancments in Lexus hybrid came in tweaks of mechanical components such as ICE and transmission. Let me remind you that lithium battery made it's debut in LC500h, 13 years later after the announcment back in 2007 that lithium will be the first breakthrough in LHD. Toyota's first PHEV entry is still regarded as the worst PHEV ever with the worst EV range ever (only worse EV range Mercedes big SUV if I remember correctly). Rav4 PHEV is the first proper PHEV Toyota product while Gemrnas are into second and third generations of PHEV now. Lexus will never have Porsche like PHEV performance for the very sole reason, Toyota product doesn't need one.

This is a wild rant I know, but it's a great reminder how Lexus still gets gimped by Toyota even in 2020. Basically Lexus doesn't have it's development and instead is relying on what Toyota product needs so Lexus is left with leftovers to tweak. Reason why F brand has naturally aspirated big V8 is because of Toyota trucks, same reason why Lexus doesn't have turbo V8 because none of the Toyota products need one. Reason why Lexus will have twin turbo V6 hybrid is again Toyota trucks, not LC or LS or any Lexus product. Lexus doesn't have proper turbo fours and sixes because Toyota products don't need such thing. Don't expect any wild PHEVs or BEVs from Lexus cause Lexus will never have it's own dedicated platforms for such thing, if one day Toyota decides to build BEV Supra with hypercar perfromance then Lexus will probably have access to that performance but it's not going to be other way around.

Last half a decade has been dark ages for Lexus and no one knows when they are going to see light of the day I still hold my stance, the only proper Lexus for me is a RWD coupe and sedan, everything else is Toyota derevative (RX) or simple reskin (ES, NX, UX, GX, LX) that I have no interest in, they even smell like Toyota. I still think LS is the best vehicle in class and LC is the classiest car you can buy today. At least it's something.
Old 09-15-20, 02:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

^^. LX has been a high end Toyota derived product for 24 years,,,I don’t see the issue all of a sudden.
Old 09-15-20, 06:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The LC-F which was a REAL thing with a V8TT and 600+hp got cancelled so this ISF is a fantasy.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS F Reportedly Coming With V8 Power, Again