Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20 | 12:26 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by adr7090
Tesla would run rings for 0-60mph and they battery start degrading fast then BMW would destroy the crap out of Tesla all the way beyond 160mph-please know your facts before posting. Tesla is a crappy built car and not even considered as a luxury car. Compare the interiors with MB, Lexus, BMW and Audi. Tesla interior is far inferior and cheap quality. You know the cost of the Tesla battery and 4 electric motors wold run around 15K but they over inflate the price tens of thousands to build Elon's wealth. The true value of a high end Tesla shouldn't be more than 40K.
Also you guys think electric is clean. Please trace it back to the source, it comes from a mixture of nuclear, coal, hydro etc and of course there's pollution from these places directly contribute to the global warming. So just the hype being electric does not save the world nor reduce the cost per mile it's the other way around until a gallon of gas cost more than $10-please read all the EPA publications than Googling.
When China introduces their all electric car Tesla will have to reduce the overinflated prices of their cars.
Please. The M3 wouldn't catch a Tesla from a dig until you hit past 130mph lol. I've annihilated every M3 i've played with. EV's are cleaner overall in their lifetime than an ICE which there is a mountain of evidence for. Links below if you are interested in learning more about it.

https://energypost.eu/latest-data-sh...petrol-diesel/

Old 09-30-20 | 12:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Danamo250
Hahahaha a third world country without California I think that is a bit far.

As far as the topic goes I think the 2035 goal is definitely an optimistic one but they will have the support of the federal government on reaching that. There has been a large push by the federal government to get the larger manufactures to not just make their vehicles more fuel efficient but specifically doing so by going electric. It will take a group effort by almost all automotive manufactures, Tesla alone wouldn't come anywhere close to being able to do so but I think most manufactures are already well on the way towards electrifying a majority of their lineup much sooner then we all think.
OK, without California and NY . I was being a bit bombastic, but it is a fact that the largest share of tax revenue to the Federal government comes from these two states, and CA makes up almost 15% of US GDP. We edge out most first world countries! I didn't mean to say other states don't produce, they just don't produce on the level of these two states. I totally agree with you that it will take a group effort. I think you may be a little optimistic, but you could be right and wide spread electrification may come much sooner
Old 09-30-20 | 12:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Please. The M3 wouldn't catch a Tesla from a dig until you hit past 130mph lol. I've annihilated every M3 i've played with. EV's are cleaner overall in their lifetime than an ICE which there is a mountain of evidence for. Links below if you are interested in learning more about it.

https://energypost.eu/latest-data-sh...petrol-diesel/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8R7kZGvAUk
I drove my brother-in-laws Tesla model S in Ludicrous mode and I almost pooped my pants. That's all I'm gonna say
Old 09-30-20 | 12:34 PM
DoomSlayer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
And so it begins...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohn.../#4443b3b7b876

California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

California, the biggest buyer of vehicles in the U.S., is banning sales of new gasoline- and diesel-powered cars and trucks in the state by 2035 with an executive order signed by Governor Gavin Newsom. It’s the single-most aggressive such action ever taken by any U.S. state or nation to fight carbon pollution that’s fueling higher temperatures and wildfires in California and persistent air-quality problems from automotive exhaust.

“To get to a carbon-free economy by 2045 we can’t get there without transportation,” Newsom said in a webcast today. “We are marking a new course … with a firm goal that by 2035 we will eliminate in the state of California sales of internal combustion engines.”

While new carbon-fueled vehicles can’t be purchased after the law takes effect, “you can keep your current car or buy a used car,” he said. “We’re not taking anything away.”

With a population of 40 million the state buys more than 10% of all new cars and trucks sold in the U.S. annually and is the country’s biggest market for electric vehicles, with about 750,000 on the road today. California also has 34 companies making or planning to produce electric vehicles, most notably Palo Alto-based Tesla TSLA -9.5%. The combined value of this company’s “half a trillion dollars,” Newsom said.

Transportation accounts for more than half of California’s carbon pollution, 80% percent of smog-forming pollution and 95% of harmful diesel emissions, Newsom’s office said in a statement. As a result, cities and towns in the Los Angeles region and the state’s Central Valley consistently have some of the worst air quality in the U.S.

Along with the rule of passenger vehicles, California’s Air Resources Board is to set regulations requiring medium- and heavy-duty vehicles to be zero emission by 2045, according to Newsom’s office. Drayage trucks, that haul cargo to and from the state’s ports, will need to be zero-emission by 2035.

California’s previous environmental and emissions rules have been fought by automakers, oil companies and the Trump Administration, and Newsom’s new order undoubtedly will face legal challenges. Nevertheless, six automakers that have previously agreed to stick with California’s tough automotive emissions rules are supporting the switch away from gasoline. They include Ford, Volkswagen, Honda, BMW and Volvo.

Separately, Newsom also said his order includes a ban on fracking for oil and gas production in the state.

The announcement comes the same day Volkswagen unveiled pricing and an on-sale date for its battery-powered ID.4 hatchback and a day after Elon Musk touted Tesla’s plans for cheaper batteries that he says will lead to a $25,000 electric car within the next few years.
i pray this liberal ****hole burns completely to the ground

Old 09-30-20 | 12:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DoomSlayer
Tell us how you really feel
Old 09-30-20 | 12:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoomSlayer

With all due respect, since you are a new poster to CL (and welcome ), you may not be aware that the moderators have asked us not to post politically-inflammatory comments here.
Old 09-30-20 | 12:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Tell us how you really feel
Haha it's funny how people have such misinformed information, and misdirected hate towards California. OK, so we have the best weather (you can go to the beach in the winter if you live in SoCal), the hottest babes and we are the innovation hub of the world, no need to hate on us!
Old 09-30-20 | 01:08 PM
DavidL
Driver

Originally Posted by 95bat
Nope... we're having rolling blackouts because the power grid can't handle people using their air conditioners in the heat. CA can't keep the lights on, literally.

I'm in the Central Valley, medium sized city, and SCE (Southern California Edison) is our provider.

I looked up my electric bill just to verify. Our tier 1 rates are 21 cents per kwh and it varies by month how much electricity you get in tier 1. In July we got 726kwh in tier 1, but in August we got 638 kwh. To be fair, I found it does vary by area and we are among the highest. It gets hotter than two hamsters farting in a wool sock here and they charge us more because we use more electricity to run the AC. It's really awesome of them, raise the rates in the areas that need it most Additionally, our rates have increased by 15-17% each year for the last two years. I didn't go back any further, but I actually checked the last 3 years recently. Our bill was nearly $500 in July so I compared July 2019 and July 2018 with July 2020... 15-17% increase each year. I think I calculated it at 32.x% higher now compared to two years ago.

I actually really want to try out a Tesla, but the charging is too crazy here. I'd have to plug it in when I get home from work in the evening, unless I installed a 400V (or 300V, whatever it is) charger in my home that could quickly charge during the super-off peak hours. Otherwise it would be plugged into 110V and have to slowly charge during peak hours...

A lot of people have been getting solar panels here to help offset electric costs. They do help! But we're not sticking around here much longer so there is no point to buy panels. We will never see a return before we sell the house.
I own 2 ICE cars (one being a GSF) and two Teslas, living in Orange county CA. SCE is my electricity supplier and here are the rates currently in effect as of 9/30/2020. I am grandfathered in to slightly lower TOU-B rates (Grandfatherd SCE rates)

Southern California Edison Summer Rates (9/30/2020)

Southern California Edison Winter Rates (9/30/2020)

We drive each of our Teslas, Model S and Model X each with a 75Kwh battery, (prior to COVID stay at home we are all dealing with) 18K-20K miles a year and most charging is at home and the off-peak times (middle of the night). My electric bill went up about $75 per car ($150 total), $1800 per year to power both vehicles for 1 year. For the same mileage, the ICE vehicles we replaced (Lexus GX 460 and Lexus IS 350C) were costing around $600 per month in gas, for a total of about $7200 for the year prior to getting the Teslas.

I have normal residential service and had an electrician add a 50A breaker to my panel (cost was about $450) and with two Tesla chargers running at 220V, I can charge both cars to full capacity overnight under 95% of our use. There are some times that we run both cars a lot on the same day and charging over night might get us back to 80% capacity (I typically charge to 90% as recommended except on road trips).

I am waiting for the day Lexus can deliver a car comparable to the Tesla, including the technology updates that seem to come every few months, and a charging network that can compete with Tesla's nationwide Supercharging infrastructure. I will come back to Lexus for that car when it's on the showroom floor.

Last edited by DavidL; 09-30-20 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-30-20 | 01:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidL
I am waiting for the day Lexus can deliver a car comparable to the Tesla, including the technology updates that seem to come every few months, and a charging network that can compete with Tesla's nationwide Supercharging infrastructure. I will come back to Lexus for that car when it's on the showroom floor.
Earliest we are going to see an EV in North America from Lexus is 2025.

BTW thanks for all the great info this particular forum needs the "thanks" button enabled.
Old 09-30-20 | 01:22 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
What are you going to do about it? Are you going to stop driving your car? Heating and cooling your home? Stop buying various goods because their manufacture belch out greenhouse gasses? Are you going to stop eating meat? You, I, and everyone is not going to stop doing any of those things we are not going to give up our comforts. And there is the problem, almost everyone that says climate change is going to doom us all does does zip about it, because for the most part we can't.
Good point, we can do very little as individuals to combat climate change. That's why we need our leaders to step up, as Newsom has done. This ban alone won't help much either on a global scale, but it is a start. America needs to work on improving itself and then work in accord with other nations to solve this problem globally. All that said, we can only begin when individuals buy in, and from the looks of this thread...it ain't happening!
Old 09-30-20 | 01:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Lol this will never, ever work.

When we lived in LA our cars were parked underground in a garage, like I’m sure hundreds of thousands of others. Does anyone see greedy LA landlords installing charging ports? I don’t.
Old 09-30-20 | 01:29 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by AJT123

When we lived in LA our cars were parked underground in a garage, like I’m sure hundreds of thousands of others. Does anyone see greedy LA landlords installing charging ports? I don’t.
Interesting point. I imagine they'd have to cave sometime. If the structure doesn't have available charging ports, and more and more tenants have BEV's, eventually no one would rent from that location.
Old 09-30-20 | 01:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Interesting point. I imagine they'd have to cave sometime. If the structure doesn't have available charging ports, and more and more tenants have BEV's, eventually no one would rent from that location.
Or your could have enough infrastructure in 15 years to have a 10 min charge to refuel. My car currently gets over 200 miles of range in about 20 min...i would think in 15 years, you're probably going to need 5-10 minutes to get fully charged. A LOT can happen in 15 years
Old 09-30-20 | 01:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123

Here in Northern Cal, many apartments, condos etc have charging stations for EV's. I see them all over the place in company parking lots, in fact the company I work for is installing them due to the number of EV's. I suspect landlords in Los Angeles will eventually have to capitulate or or lose tenants who will go elsewhere
Old 09-30-20 | 01:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Good point, we can do very little as individuals to combat climate change.
That is the only way things will change, every person changing their lifestyle. In fact you in effect say this later in your post.
That's why we need our leaders to step up, as Newsom has done.
What he's done is vapid IMO will have no real affect.
This ban alone won't help much either on a global scale, but it is a start.
Start of what? Banning something without a replacement doesn't work unless people give up that thing completely.
America needs to work on improving itself and then work in accord with other nations to solve this problem globally.
America already has about the strictest environmental standards anywhere the problem is consumption per person.
All that said, we can only begin when individuals buy in, and from the looks of this thread...it ain't happening!
This conflicts with the first sentience of your post.

I'll start with you and I. Are you buying in? Did you buy a Tesla? And if so great but not many can't afford one currently. As for me, I have a fairly low carbon foot print compared to most people I generally don't buy needless junk and overall I waste as little as possible. But even given that my carbon footprint is much higher than needed on average to reverse climate change. If we're being honest climate change has become mostly about finger pointing, notice how hardly anyone talks about actual solutions? All we hear is platitudes they are meaningless and solve nothing.

Quick Reply: California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035