Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 06:00 PM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may have been stated here I'm pretty busy here so didn't read each post, sorry for that if its here?
I have serious doubts that the power corps could really handle every persons car being plugged in all the time together without a lot of blackouts? What a strain on all the plants that would cause, I just can't see it without overhauling or building many more power sources to create all the extra energy needed to charge so many cars. My Brother retired from Florida Power & Light and I know they have a hell of a time during peak ours just keeping up with all the AC units and Gulf carts (lol) everyone uses there and its been that way for many yrs too...lol
Not kidding here, it will be a massively expensive problem for them to deal with that much drain on their plants, simply would not fly well. But our idiots in command will do idiotic things when all of the other idiots (us) remain quiet.
Peace
Old 09-30-20, 06:22 PM
LexusIowa1
Driver School Candidate

Land of fruits and nuts and weird ideas with no thought to how it affects people or regular people that is. The elected always know what is right for our subjects. BTW, I hate darn near all politicians so this is not about a party, they are about themselves ! These kind of large mandates are rediculous. If everyone didn't want cars and loved transit and other options then you would not need mandates.
Old 09-30-20, 06:22 PM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Bingo!!!
Sorry' I had just voiced the same concern here before seeing yours. I know many other states are doing all they can to serve people already. People fail to understand to expand the needed energy for this undertaking they will need many more plants. The cost will be enormous but someday soon our children/grand children will have all the power they need 'hopefully"?
Fusion Power

Last edited by 123go; 09-30-20 at 06:33 PM. Reason: add link
Old 09-30-20, 06:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I mentioned this earlier, it's not going to happen. There is no way it can happen, at least for the next 20 years. By then I will be in an old folks home. This is just the Governors way of getting things moving and to score some political points. I wouldn't worry about it too much
I'm not worried, rest assured lol. California is in its own Universe. I know LA and SF well. There's a reason we came back in 2 years instead of the 5 we planned, whew. That Governor is the joke of the world.

Like I was saying about all the buildings, no way you can add all these chargers. And what about street parking? LOTS of Angelenos rely on street parking.

New buildings built from now-2035 could probably accommodate some of it. But there are endless older apartment, condo, etc. buildings where it would just be virutally impossible. The apartments we lived in were built in the 80s, looking back at the garages there's just no way that could be done.

No one else is really going to embrace this. It will be a verrrrry long time before a guy who lives in the NE with those winters and tows 10k lbs regularly with his 2500 is going to want an electric truck, lmao. Even 1500 trucks, laughing matter to me.
Old 09-30-20, 06:37 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'm not worried, rest assured lol. California is in its own Universe. I know LA and SF well. There's a reason we came back in 2 years instead of the 5 we planned, whew. That Governor is the joke of the world.

Like I was saying about all the buildings, no way you can add all these chargers. And what about street parking? LOTS of Angelenos rely on street parking.

New buildings built from now-2035 could probably accommodate some of it. But there are endless older apartment, condo, etc. buildings where it would just be virutally impossible. The apartments we lived in were built in the 80s, looking back at the garages there's just no way that could be done.

No one else is really going to embrace this. It will be a verrrrry long time before a guy who lives in the NE with those winters and tows 10k lbs regularly with his 2500 is going to want an electric truck, lmao. Even 1500 trucks, laughing matter to me.
Yup, it's going to be hard to tell the people to go EV when the buildings have no power for the vehicles. It's not going to happen unless there's infrastructure changes. The state isn't going to give free power either. Btw, most people aren't rich with cash to install their own charger in the home esp apartments.
Old 09-30-20, 06:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Yup, it's going to be hard to tell the people to go EV when the buildings have no power for the vehicles. It's not going to happen unless there's infrastructure changes. The state isn't going to give free power either. Btw, most people aren't rich with cash to install their own charger in the home esp apartments.
And they're not going to pay for charging stations at rented apartments, that's for sure. When I rented maintenance would change light bulbs, I milked it.
Old 09-30-20, 07:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Please don't blame the CA residences, it's not us.

CA has many ambitious politicians, they all want to push their own agenda to be famous. Not sure if paid or not but they are forgetting about increasing the power grid capacity before EVs. It is a disaster waiting to happen for power with new homes being built and still using the same power infrastructure.

Every hot weather season, the energy uncertain is only an alert away. NorCal is really bad with PG&E service and high rates. The whole system is messed up.

Adding EVs to the mix will even make it worst for power reliability and having a stable power flow. Things doesn't fix itself by adding EVs without shoring up the energy grids.
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
How is this going to change, as you are well aware humans are incapable of existing within the balance of nature. I'm talking about in the modern era, before technology people were largely living the same as animals with the exception of crude tools and the like. Now consider the human population through history it remained very low and static until technology came along.

What are you going to do about it? Are you going to stop driving your car? Heating and cooling your home? Stop buying various goods because their manufacture belch out greenhouse gasses? Are you going to stop eating meat? You, I, and everyone is not going to stop doing any of those things we are not going to give up our comforts. And there is the problem, almost everyone that says climate change is going to doom us all does does zip about it, because for the most part we can't. Our lifestyles depend on industries that pollute the earth. Are you going start living your life with the same carbon footprint as most of Africa? If not, how come? If everyone lived with the same CO2 footprint as most of Africa overall pollution would drop drastically. Check it out
https://ourworldindata.org/per-capita-co2

What's that? Oh, right, you don't want to give up buying crap on Amazon, driving your giant SUV, driving to the gym, living in a 2000 sq foot home with a big backyard. What about water usage, are you going to stop using massive amounts?
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ted-countries/

Nope, you are not going to do that either. I'm not picking on you specifically when I say "you" that means you, me, and everyone. My point is it's easy to get up and scold people and say "all scientists agree" meanwhile the elephant in the room is all of us. We are unwilling and unable to stop destroying this planet simply because we love our lifestyles and that lifestyle is enabling by polluting the planet. I'd love if tomorrow we found a way to cut pollution by a factor of 10x or more, which is what is needed if we believe the "all scientists agree" warnings.

Is there a way to enjoy all these comforts and products without the massive carbon footprint? Currently no, not even close. Do the math on what the average person consumes in North America, now try and replace half of that with green energy. Elon Musk did the math, to replace every car with electric in the United States it would require 100 Gigafactories. Is that feasible? Doesn't seem like it. And that is only cars.

I bet Newsome's carbon footprint is way higher than most people. How about HE show us all how it's done, him first. And every celebrity, public figure and scientist that scolds us and tells us we are killing the planet, show us how you live your life and not contribute to the demise of our ecosystem.

True, you are correct.
Originally Posted by DoomSlayer
i pray this liberal ****hole burns completely to the ground
Among others...
too many folks ignoring multiple Moderator requests to leave debate content of politics and global warming out of this thread.