Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20 | 04:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

How does the arbitrary date work exactly? Why that date? Did they consult experts, run the numbers and conclude that was a realistic target?
Old 09-23-20 | 04:51 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
Thats not accurate. EVs in the luxury segment are already comparable. A base 3 series cost $50k with decent options. A comparable Model 3 is cheaper than that with almost no maintenance cost. BTW, if you live in California, gas is 3-4x higher than the cost of electricity on a per mile basis. California rates are typically 11 cents per kwh which equates to about $500 if you drive 15000 miles. Assuming a comparable BMW gets around 25mpg, you are look at $2000 if gas is around $3.50 per gallon. Not to mention a $50k Tesla would run rings around a $50k BMW.
Just a quick correction on California electric rates. We discussed this in another thread

We have a tiered system with our provider. The lower advertised rates are tier 1 and provide enough electricity to keep a fridge running, maybe a microwave, couple light bulbs... Once you hit tier 2 (which everyone does) we're paying over 40 cents per kwh. It is NOT that cheap to charge a car here. Depending on how much you drive, charging could push you into tier 3 which are ridiculous rates.
Old 09-23-20 | 04:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 95bat
Just a quick correction on California electric rates. We discussed this in another thread

We have a tiered system with our provider. The lower advertised rates are tier 1 and provide enough electricity to keep a fridge running, maybe a microwave, couple light bulbs... Once you hit tier 2 (which everyone does) we're paying over 40 cents per kwh. It is NOT that cheap to charge a car here. Depending on how much you drive, charging could push you into tier 3 which are ridiculous rates.
Thats interesting. If you live in So-cal, you are getting the EV-TOU rates and they average around 11 cents per kwh at super-off peak and it doesn't matter how much you use. Which provider do you have...must be a smaller city.
Old 09-23-20 | 05:23 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
40 cents per kwh that is robbery. I thought Cali fixed their energy problem by going green, like how they are going to fix things by getting rid of petrol cars.
Nope... we're having rolling blackouts because the power grid can't handle people using their air conditioners in the heat. CA can't keep the lights on, literally.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Thats interesting. If you live in So-cal, you are getting the EV-TOU rates and they average around 11 cents per kwh at super-off peak and it doesn't matter how much you use. Which provider do you have...must be a smaller city.
I'm in the Central Valley, medium sized city, and SCE (Southern California Edison) is our provider.

I looked up my electric bill just to verify. Our tier 1 rates are 21 cents per kwh and it varies by month how much electricity you get in tier 1. In July we got 726kwh in tier 1, but in August we got 638 kwh. To be fair, I found it does vary by area and we are among the highest. It gets hotter than two hamsters farting in a wool sock here and they charge us more because we use more electricity to run the AC. It's really awesome of them, raise the rates in the areas that need it most Additionally, our rates have increased by 15-17% each year for the last two years. I didn't go back any further, but I actually checked the last 3 years recently. Our bill was nearly $500 in July so I compared July 2019 and July 2018 with July 2020... 15-17% increase each year. I think I calculated it at 32.x% higher now compared to two years ago.

I actually really want to try out a Tesla, but the charging is too crazy here. I'd have to plug it in when I get home from work in the evening, unless I installed a 400V (or 300V, whatever it is) charger in my home that could quickly charge during the super-off peak hours. Otherwise it would be plugged into 110V and have to slowly charge during peak hours...

A lot of people have been getting solar panels here to help offset electric costs. They do help! But we're not sticking around here much longer so there is no point to buy panels. We will never see a return before we sell the house.
Old 09-23-20 | 06:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Actually, the executive order signed today mandates ZEVs only - so this is a complete ICE ban.
I believe a plug in hybrid qualifies for a zero emission vehicle under their regulations
Old 09-23-20 | 07:01 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
If you come here, don't California my Texas.
LOL nope, not going to Texas. Or Idaho for that matter, a lot of CA is moving there too.

I know many, MANY states hate Californians, but we're not all bad. I'm a conservative, gun toting, horsepower loving, God fearing American that won't bring "California" anywhere! My family doesn't agree with much happening here. We won't be voting it in anywhere else.
Old 09-23-20 | 10:41 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I believe a plug in hybrid qualifies for a zero emission vehicle under their regulations
They do not. The best a PHEV can do is LEV III. Just go to the CARB website.

E.g., from https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/doc...del-years-2018

Zero exhaust emissions of any criteria pollutant or greenhouse gas under any and all possible operational modes and conditions
Old 09-23-20 | 11:00 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

I always have a smile on my face when I drive in the carpool lane here in Orange County in my twin turbo V12 merc lol
Old 09-24-20 | 06:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

can he really do this with merely an executive order
Old 09-24-20 | 06:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Many posts that are largely political, off-topic, or just rants have been deleted.

let's focus on the topic, thank you.
Old 09-24-20 | 07:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
They do not. The best a PHEV can do is LEV III. Just go to the CARB website.

E.g., from https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/doc...del-years-2018
This is what I was looking at. Maybe I have misinterpreted

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/what-zev
Old 09-24-20 | 07:31 AM
TriC
Racer

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
can he really do this with merely an executive order
I don't see how, but perhaps CA law has some such provision. We'll get the answer in the litigation that's sure to come.
Old 09-24-20 | 09:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
Totally insane. It's not going to pass/work. One state can't just change the auto industry. California has a lot more problems to worry about then now banning IC cars. No wonder normal people are fleeing that state in such high numbers.
Didn't CA already change the auto industry by being on the forefront with "CA Emissions" which is now the national standard?
Old 09-24-20 | 09:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

its only standard because it would be too expensive to develop two models of a car, not that it was innovative
Old 09-24-20 | 09:46 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Taking politics and CA bashing off the table, and taking for now the obvious fact that Executive Orders (at both state and federal level) are essentially transient and are absolutely no substitute for actual state or federal legislation, the goal is a worthy one IMO.

Electric cars are the future. They deliver better performance, are quieter, and are powered by an energy source which is orders of magnitude less finite than oil and gas.

Better to aim for a high bar than a low one IMO. Lofty goals drive innovation.

Whatever things end up looking like in 2035, chances are that what we can buy, be it ICE or electric, will be a lot more efficient and a lot more sustainable than what we have today.

Quick Reply: California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035