Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20 | 11:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

they couldnt even keep the lights on this summer and had rolling black outs. Cali has big electrical grid capacity issues but let's have everyone drive EVs, what can go wrong?
Old 09-24-20 | 12:06 PM
RXSF

^^ the rolling blackouts were much worse last year. I feel like this year, there wasn't even that many, so what you may have heard on the media does not reflect necessarily the truth. But you are right on the added strain to our electrical grid. However, I believe all new housing development starting this year, or next year, is required to have solar panel installation. I was just talking to my friend who just installed a Tesla solar panel system on his house, and drives both a Volt and a Pacifica plug in. He says he is completely off the grid, with his Tesla battery storage and hasn't use any gas in 6 months. He only had to purposely use gas so that it wouldn't get stale in his gas tank.

Anyway, I think 15 years is a solid time for CA to turn around their electricity issues, and as more homeowners invest in solar, we'll see how this goes. CA did something similar with Diesels but you could still buy.a diesel car out of state an register and drive it here. I wonder what loopholes will exist.
Old 09-24-20 | 12:54 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swajames
Taking politics and CA bashing off the table, and taking for now the obvious fact that Executive Orders (at both state and federal level) are essentially transient and are absolutely no substitute for actual state or federal legislation, the goal is a worthy one IMO.

Electric cars are the future. They deliver better performance, are quieter, and are powered by an energy source which is orders of magnitude less finite than oil and gas.

Better to aim for a high bar than a low one IMO. Lofty goals drive innovation.

Whatever things end up looking like in 2035, chances are that what we can buy, be it ICE or electric, will be a lot more efficient and a lot more sustainable than what we have today.
Why not? The end always justifies the ends when someone else is paying for it. But we've seen this movie before. The end never comes, and all you are left with is the means.
Old 09-24-20 | 01:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ the rolling blackouts were much worse last year. I feel like this year, there wasn't even that many, so what you may have heard on the media does not reflect necessarily the truth. But you are right on the added strain to our electrical grid. However, I believe all new housing development starting this year, or next year, is required to have solar panel installation. I was just talking to my friend who just installed a Tesla solar panel system on his house, and drives both a Volt and a Pacifica plug in. He says he is completely off the grid, with his Tesla battery storage and hasn't use any gas in 6 months. He only had to purposely use gas so that it wouldn't get stale in his gas tank.

Anyway, I think 15 years is a solid time for CA to turn around their electricity issues, and as more homeowners invest in solar, we'll see how this goes. CA did something similar with Diesels but you could still buy.a diesel car out of state an register and drive it here. I wonder what loopholes will exist.
They've had much more solar build-outs to mitigate the blackouts too. Tons of new solar installations where I live and if you own an EV, you should get solar as the rebate makes it pretty affordable.
Old 09-24-20 | 02:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Didn't CA already change the auto industry by being on the forefront with "CA Emissions" which is now the national standard?
I don't think so, US wide emissions go by Federal emissions standards, I think Cali did/does have separate emissions requirments but they aren't that different and likely not too hard for automakers to implement. If you watched "the price is right "every time they talk about a car they say "California emissions".
Old 09-24-20 | 02:54 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95bat
Nope... we're having rolling blackouts because the power grid can't handle people using their air conditioners in the heat. CA can't keep the lights on, literally.

They can't keep the power on from people using AC too much but they want to force tens of millions of drivers into electrics. What could go wrong when tens of millions of electrics are being charged over night on top of the extra charging stations that are built/utilized, its going to be a nighmare. Electrics don't solve anything, they actually create more environment issues then they solve. Let the buyer/market decide if they want electrics and stop using taxpayer money incentivizing their sale/development.
Old 09-24-20 | 03:06 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by UDel
They can't keep the power on from people using AC too much but they want to force tens of millions of drivers into electrics. What could go wrong when tens of millions of electrics are being charged over night on top of the extra charging stations that are built/utilized, its going to be a nighmare. Electrics don't solve anything, they actually create more environment issues then they solve. Let the buyer/market decide if they want electrics and stop using taxpayer money incentivizing their sale/development.
the problem is not CA not having enough electricity. The problem is that usage from AC sky rockets at 3pm to 7pm when it is hottest so the grid can’t handle the peak usage. With electric cars, utility companies can and do incentivize cheaper rates when charging at night which would have no extra strain on the grid. So the blackouts and problems with the grid are not valid arguments
Old 09-24-20 | 03:14 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is what I was looking at. Maybe I have misinterpreted
You have. If you continue reading the article, the context is not PHEVs being ZEVs but PHEVs being eligible to earn some ZEV credits due to current legislation.

Furthermore, that is a third-party site unrelated to the CA government. Again, all you have to do is visit CA government sites CARB/Caltrans/etc. where ZEV is clearly defined.
Old 09-24-20 | 03:33 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

So the blackouts and problems with the grid are not valid arguments
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the grid impact. CA averages roughly 50 million gallons gas consumption every day - and that's just gas, not including diesel. Even assuming a generous 5kwh per gallon gas (i.e., assuming electric cars need only 5kwh to travel the same distance that a gasoline car does on 1 gallon of gas) that is 250000MWh that would be needed every day. That is making a huge impact on the grid, day or night.
Old 09-24-20 | 03:37 PM
RXSF

You’re right. My statement was too much of a blanket. But Without knowing how many MKW of electricity is used during the day, I guess we cannot know if that is really a big number

In addition people here are assuming no new electricity generation between now and 2035 nor the reduction of usage of usage through solar expansion nor the 15 years of battery/electrical drivetrain efficiency improvements
Old 09-24-20 | 04:28 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Well, on the other hand Michigan is banning all EV's(except Tesla).
Old 09-24-20 | 04:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

You’re right. My statement was too much of a blanket. But Without knowing how many MKW of electricity is used during the day, I guess we cannot know if that is really a big number

In addition people here are assuming no new electricity generation between now and 2035 nor the reduction of usage of usage through solar expansion nor the 15 years of battery/electrical drivetrain efficiency improvements
a. it is crazy that one of the richest states in the world has rolling blackouts. Believe it or not, other countries use A/C during the summer.
b. Did they also announce big investment in grid at the same event?

Not that I am against it, i think EVs are cool. However this seems like purely political play and nothing else, unless you actually plan to invest money in order to convert to EV vehicles.
Old 09-24-20 | 04:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Detroit is against EVs? shocking
Old 09-24-20 | 04:53 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by UDel
Unless CA allows for more energy production there is no way they will be able to charge the cars.
Let's not forget the added cost of the car as well. I can buy a truck for $25k right now. What will I do when when those are banned? Buy a $70k Rivian or Tesla? Unless electric vehicle prices come down most people won't be able to afford one.

the problem is not CA not having enough electricity. The problem is that usage from AC sky rockets at 3pm to 7pm when it is hottest so the grid can’t handle the peak usage. With electric cars, utility companies can and do incentivize cheaper rates when charging at night which would have no extra strain on the grid. So the blackouts and problems with the grid are not valid arguments
You're contradicting yourself here. When you say the grid can't handle the peak usage it literally means CA doesn't have enough electricity. The electric companies cannot keep up with demand = not enough. They can't handle the required usage leading to blackouts. Environmentalists have also pushed wind/solar so much companies like PG&E have spent less on maintaining lines and more on wind/solar development. Those old lines are what caused some of the CA fires. The Camp Fire was caused by 100 year old PG&E equipment! So now we have blackouts due to bad weather too.

I think we COULD have enough electricity, but the utility companies are restricted in production. Plus the whole failed nuclear reactor ordeal in San Onofre. During our last heat wave the governor allowed the electric companies to increase production and even purchased out-of-state electricity.

I don't see how it would be possible for the current grid to support a large number of electric vehicles. I guess that means even higher rates so utility companies can repair the grid to prepare for all of the electric vehicles... I'm glad I won't be here to pay for it. Edit - I wanted to add that I am really rooting for all of this to work out, the electric stuff. I an fascinated by the idea of nearly zero maintenance and ridiculous acceleration. I will even get over not being able to make noise doing it. I am rooting for some big updates, I just don't want to pay more for them Over 30% of my paycheck already disappears, I don't want to lose more!

Last edited by 95bat; 09-24-20 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-24-20 | 05:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Wait, wut???

Quick Reply: California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035