Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20 | 08:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
They can't keep the power on from people using AC too much but they want to force tens of millions of drivers into electrics. What could go wrong when tens of millions of electrics are being charged over night on top of the extra charging stations that are built/utilized, its going to be a nighmare.
Originally Posted by EZZ
They've had much more solar build-outs to mitigate the blackouts too. Tons of new solar installations where I live and if you own an EV, you should get solar as the rebate makes it pretty affordable.
Originally Posted by RXSF
the problem is not CA not having enough electricity. The problem is that usage from AC sky rockets at 3pm to 7pm when it is hottest so the grid can’t handle the peak usage. With electric cars, utility companies can and do incentivize cheaper rates when charging at night which would have no extra strain on the grid. So the blackouts and problems with the grid are not valid arguments
so i look at these 3 quotes and think... how is solar energy going to help charging cars AT NIGHT when the sun isn't shining?

Originally Posted by spwolf
a. it is crazy that one of the richest states in the world has rolling blackouts. Believe it or not, other countries use A/C during the summer.
yeah, 'countries' like florida, arizona, texas.
Old 09-24-20 | 09:09 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Well, on the other hand Michigan is banning all EV's(except Tesla).
So no electric Cadillacs or Ford Mustang Mach-e-Machs will be allowed?
Old 09-24-20 | 09:51 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so i look at these 3 quotes and think... how is solar energy going to help charging cars AT NIGHT when the sun isn't shining?

Easy. You buy a solar panel system with battery storage on site. Tesla does this. Or, solar during the day feeds back into the grid to help with peak energy use during the day
Old 09-24-20 | 10:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

It depends on the setup...net metering allows the company to take in all the solar energy during the day and either use it or store it in their own battery farms. They give you credit for this which you use at night to charge the car. Typically they want you to charge at night because they can use the energy produced in the day during more peak demand. If the energy usage at night exceeds the stored energy, they use peaker plants to generate electricity (natural gas plants). If the solar panel owner also owns their own battery, then they rarely take fromm the grid. Of course the energy company charges the solar owners for having the ability to net meter so most solar owners pay about ~$150 per year if their energy generation exceeds energy usage.

My own system currently generates 2x the energy i use so I have a net surplus of credits...i'm twice as green
Old 09-25-20 | 06:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95bat
Unless CA allows for more energy production there is no way they will be able to charge the cars.
Let's not forget the added cost of the car as well. I can buy a truck for $25k right now. What will I do when when those are banned? Buy a $70k Rivian or Tesla? Unless electric vehicle prices come down most people won't be able to afford one.
Cali is the biggest importer of electricity in the US, but they are low emissions right. Just emitting in someone else backyard. Sure peak usage is lower at night but what if one accounts for millions of cars charging at night?

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=38912
Old 09-25-20 | 09:51 AM
95bat
Racer

Easy. You buy a solar panel system with battery storage on site. Tesla does this. Or, solar during the day feeds back into the grid to help with peak energy use during the day
Google says it is $11,000 to install the tesla power wall battery... and it is a 14.5 kwh battery. Most homes here would need multiple batteries to stay "off grid". No possible way this is a justified cost for each household to have electric needs met.
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Cali is the biggest importer of electricity in the US, but they are low emissions right. Just emitting in someone else backyard. Sure peak usage is lower at night but what if one accounts for millions of cars charging at night?

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=38912
You make great points!
Old 09-25-20 | 10:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Easy. You buy a solar panel system with battery storage on site. Tesla does this.
yeah just buy a home system the price of the car again...

Or, solar during the day feeds back into the grid to help with peak energy use during the day
nice try but that doesn't help the potentially huge demand needed at night to recharge all those electric cars.

Old 09-25-20 | 10:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
It depends on the setup...net metering allows the company to take in all the solar energy during the day and either use it or store it in their own battery farms.
power company battery farms? do you know of a company that can store significant amounts of power?

They give you credit for this which you use at night to charge the car.
sure, as long as the power company can deliver the power, which if they're more and more on solar they can't without a new to-be-invented magical power storage system.

i do agree though that home solar is the way to go for many but for almost all of america the cost of the system is too high or there's no incentives or there isn't enough sunlight.
Old 09-25-20 | 10:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

power company battery farms? do you know of a company that can store significant amounts of power?

sure, as long as the power company can deliver the power, which if they're more and more on solar they can't without a new to-be-invented magical power storage system.

i do agree though that home solar is the way to go for many but for almost all of america the cost of the system is too high or there's no incentives or there isn't enough sunlight.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...rm-california/

Battery farms are alive and well in California. They just turned on the biggest one in the world. They have smaller ones too in California and the plan is to expand to store the renewable energy here. At night, there are natural gas plants that do supply electricity but the plan is to go to renewals and storage in the future. Natural gas is cleaner than coal and much cleaner than any ICE so overall, EVs in general are much much cleaner in California than any ICE. I'm sure many states also has California's situation where there is plenty of sun to warrant a solar solution at home. My breakeven is 6 years with my current solar system and I can charge 2 full EVs with the amount of power i generate (and thats how i spec'd my system). No reason not to get solar if you are in Arizona, Nevada, Florida, etc...
Old 09-25-20 | 11:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the cost to store the energy 1 barrel of oil provides is over 100x more when you do it in a battery

Old 09-25-20 | 12:05 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

the cost to store the energy 1 barrel of oil provides is over 100x more when you do it in a battery

https://youtu.be/X39W1U3Oqps
Very myopic view. Tesla's battery day is only the beginning of progress on future storage systems and they will produce a battery with a 56% cost savings. They have prototypes of batteries that are magnitudes of cycles longer than current solutions which would enable batteries to last decades. Oil is a finite resource and the writing is on the wall for the transition away so progress must be and is being made on these fronts. Progress is a good and exciting thing so just embrace the future and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-25-20 | 01:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

If course it is because the oil already contains energy. Now do the calculation of how much energy it took to produce that barrel of oil.
Old 09-25-20 | 01:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

There is nothing easy about that, it will be extremely expensive and difficult to implement systems to provide that kind of power needed to charge tens of millions of electric cars not to mention still fulfill regular energy needs. Where are they going to get all that money, raise taxes even higher, they won't be getting much fuel taxes if they do that so electric bills are going to skyrocket too and many people are leaving California. It is not going to work.
Old 09-25-20 | 01:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
There is nothing easy about that, it will be extremely expensive and difficult to implement systems to provide that kind of power needed to charge tens of millions of electric cars not to mention still fulfill regular energy needs. Where are they going to get all that money, raise taxes even higher, they won't be getting much fuel taxes if they do that so electric bills are going to skyrocket too and many people are leaving California. It is not going to work.
In California, the additional registration cost on EVs are more than what you would pay each year for fuel taxes. More people than ever have gotten solar in California and its yielding results. There were less blackouts vs. last year as more energy is being produced. In less hot temperatures, there is more solar generated than used and storage plants are coming online.

The grid not being able to handle mass EVs is a myth. The current infrastructure can handle a 25% penetration of EVs which the current EV market isn't even close to (reference linked). It will take decades to get there and as EVs propagate, the utilities will expand because that is a lot more potential revenue for them.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-017-0074-z

Old 09-25-20 | 02:12 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
If course it is because the oil already contains energy. Now do the calculation of how much energy it took to produce that barrel of oil.
You already have an idea how much energy it costs, its built into the cost, which is 100x less for oil. Should I even ask how much energy it takes to make that battery?

Quick Reply: California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035