Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-20, 03:30 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,349 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
LOL, if that's the case I think people are just pretty damn stupid to live in California and dont install some type of solar panels on their home....I don't care if you have an EV or not.
We planned on installing the Tesla solar roof panels when our roof needed replacing. That plan has been scrapped now since we're just leaving...
Originally Posted by EZZ
Overall, it pays to have solar. A solar installation is pretty cheap for a decent sized house...probably $30-50k. Of course, the houses here cost about a million easy so its not that much considering the overall cost of living.
Please consider what you just said... a $30-50k installation as "pretty cheap". And yes, it does pay to have solar, but when? Given an average yearly electric cost of $1500 it will take 20-30 years to recover the cost of solar installation. That is a heavy decision for most people that doesn't pay off for a long time.
I guess that's another issue with California... to one part of the state a million dollar home is nothing and $50k is pretty cheap. To the other part it is all unobtainable.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Someone will have to pay for the green initiatives coming. ...as everything turns to electric battery cars, where do the batteries get recycled...who pays for that? I am not sure where it stands but some governments are proposing consumers install/upgrade to electric furnaces. Gas has been the most cost effective way to fuel for 100+ years...as everyone plugs-in, the cost of electricity goes up...road taxes need to be collected...it goes on and on...I fully believe the cost/taxes etc of a green car will end up costing more than a gas car at some point
It's very possible... I just hope it's not the taxpayer that has to pay for it all. Let the market develop naturally, like it already is with every major manufacturer developing electric vehicles. When pricing, range, and charging support are there, people will buy them more. I think those three issues are what stop most from making the switch. The important part here is that it doesn't require a Governor MAKING us do it by executive order.

Both sides have their benefits and drawbacks. It's hard to prove one way or the other is better. There is data to support every opinion out there, and all of it contradicts other data. Electric does seem to be the future for certain demographics, like CA where it is summer for 10 months out of the year... but for states with 4 seasons and less sunlight there has to be a backup. Maybe that will be batteries one day, who knows. For now, it seems investing in other clean energy like natural gas with carbon capture or nuclear power would be smart.
Old 09-26-20, 05:17 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Google says it is $11,000 to install the tesla power wall battery... and it is a 14.5 kwh battery. Most homes here would need multiple batteries to stay "off grid". No possible way this is a justified cost for each household to have electric needs met.
My friend just installed a Tesla system with battery storage, and his net cost was 30K. He said that prior to it, his electricity bill was $500. Im assuming thats during the summer with AC. But he is completely off the grid now, and charges both of his electric plug ins. So lets just all it savings of $500 a month (even though we havent even included his gas savings). In a year, that is 6K so he makes it all back in 5 years. That is a really good return.

Of course this pricing is only available with rebates im sure that are higher in CA than in other states

Last edited by RXSF; 09-26-20 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-26-20, 05:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
My friend just installed a Tesla system with battery storage, and his net cost was 30K. He said that prior to it, his electricity bill was $500. Im assuming thats during the summer with AC. But he is completely off the grid now, and charges both of his electric plug ins. So lets just all it savings of $500 a month (even though we havent even included his gas savings). In a year, that is 6K so he makes it all back in 5 years. That is a really good return.

Of course this pricing is only available with rebates im sure that are higher in CA than in other states
Sounds about right. My payoff is in 6 years and i don't even have a battery system, just net metering. I'm pretty abusive with the electricity now during the day since its free though .
Old 09-26-20, 05:37 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 393 Posts

A lot of folks are talking about the cost to switch to EVs, but it's a moot point. The direction CA and Newsom are taking is simply a symbolic statement, hoping to wake up those in the country, including the president, who are asleep at the wheel when it comes to climate change. CA/Newsom's statement is...We need to do something/anything to reverse the course of climate change, regardless of its cause. Many scientists fear it is already too late, so maybe, in reality, it's only a call to slow down the rate of our species' extension. Unfortunately, many people (some with good cause) only care about their own lot, in their own lifetime, and will not be on-board with this. The fate of our species is the last thing on their minds.
Old 09-26-20, 05:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
A lot of folks are talking about the cost to switch to EVs, but it's a moot point. The direction CA and Newsom are taking is simply a symbolic statement, hoping to wake up those in the country, including the president, who are asleep at the wheel when it comes to climate change. CA/Newsom's statement is...We need to do something/anything to reverse the course of climate change, regardless of its cause. Many scientists fear it is already too late, so maybe, in reality, it's only a call to slow down the rate of our species' extension. Unfortunately, many people (some with good cause) only care about their own lot, in their own lifetime, and will not be on-board with this. The fate of our species is the last thing on their minds.
Electrics or the "green new deal" won't make a shred of difference in the climate of this planet covered mostly by water, won't make any difference in the "fate of our species". Forcing the population into electrics and the green new deal are about control and power, it is more economic control of the population then anything. Electrics create their own set of environmental issues, many outweighing gas powered vehicles where the infrastructure is already there.
Old 09-26-20, 05:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

I find the whole thing typical and hilarious. And ridiculous.

Typical California BS.
Old 09-26-20, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Electrics or the "green new deal" won't make a shred of difference in the climate of this planet covered mostly by water,
Part of the climate-argument is that water temperatures are rising too, which, together with some other factors, is increasing the frequency and strength of storms. There seems to be at least some truth to this, but it is being exaggerated.
Old 09-26-20, 06:22 PM
95bat
Racer

Is that for just the battery system, or solar panels too?
Old 09-26-20, 08:58 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

^^ the whole set up, panels and battery. Im pretty sure the Fed tax incentive and the generous Cali rebate makes it worth considering.
Old 09-27-20, 01:08 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
What would you suggest being done differently on a national scale? Name a couple of specific actions that will help. FYI U.S. carbon emissions peaked in 2007 and have been dropping since. See for yourself.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ons-from-1999/
Old 09-27-20, 09:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Folks need to drop the politics and debate content or do not post please
Old 09-27-20, 09:06 AM
95bat
Racer

^^ the whole set up, panels and battery. Im pretty sure the Fed tax incentive and the generous Cali rebate makes it worth considering.
6 year recovery isn't bad, but a $500 monthly payment accelerates that significantly. That's a hefty electric bill! Our highest bill is usually July. Depending on how bad the summer is, we usually have 3-4 bills in the $300-$400 range, and the rest are ~$100. In the winter it goes down to like $50 a month. The rate increases have been boning us, though, our high July bill si getting closer to $500 now (same usage). At a more reasonable $2000 a year it's a 15 year repayment plan. $6000 a year in utilities is quite expensive! My parents don't even pay $6000 a year and they keep their ~4000 sq. ft. home at 70 degrees all summer long lol.

I hope I'm not coming across and argumentative against solar. If we were staying here we would definitely be investing in solar, even with the 15 year repayment plan. We own our home so it would have been easy too. The saved electric bill would have went directly to the solar payment and had little extra money out of pocket. Plus I wouldn't feel guilty about turning the AC down even further when I'm hot. I'd probably run the house a few degrees cooler and wear sweats in the summer just because I could lol.
Old 09-27-20, 10:00 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,241 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Thats not accurate. EVs in the luxury segment are already comparable. A base 3 series cost $50k with decent options. A comparable Model 3 is cheaper than that with almost no maintenance cost. BTW, if you live in California, gas is 3-4x higher than the cost of electricity on a per mile basis. California rates are typically 11 cents per kwh which equates to about $500 if you drive 15000 miles. Assuming a comparable BMW gets around 25mpg, you are look at $2000 if gas is around $3.50 per gallon. Not to mention a $50k Tesla would run rings around a $50k BMW.
A model three isn't a luxury car, it's worse than a Camry inside.
Old 09-27-20, 10:11 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
A model three isn't a luxury car, it's worse than a Camry inside.
Your opinion which is fine but it's categorically compared to the 3 series. The materials in the Model 3 are fine. The design might not be for you. Nonetheless, it has significant advantages in performance and ownership costs at detriment to range and convenience.
Old 09-27-20, 11:05 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

This is setting a hard deadline (at least ideologically) and validation for everyone involved with the electric vehicle space and infrastructure. However its going to come at a significant cost if EVs dont get cheaper upfront both new and used and infrastructure is as well equipped and easy to use as say a gas station (plenty of docks to recharge, charging times decrease and battery density increases).

I wonder though how many times this will be pushed back...cars are one thing, you have trucks, buses, and other equipment that needs to be electrified before

Quick Reply: California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035