Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 11:51 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
6 year recovery isn't bad, but a $500 monthly payment accelerates that significantly. That's a hefty electric bill! Our highest bill is usually July. Depending on how bad the summer is, we usually have 3-4 bills in the $300-$400 range, and the rest are ~$100. In the winter it goes down to like $50 a month. The rate increases have been boning us, though, our high July bill si getting closer to $500 now (same usage). At a more reasonable $2000 a year it's a 15 year repayment plan. $6000 a year in utilities is quite expensive! My parents don't even pay $6000 a year and they keep their ~4000 sq. ft. home at 70 degrees all summer long lol.

I hope I'm not coming across and argumentative against solar. If we were staying here we would definitely be investing in solar, even with the 15 year repayment plan. We own our home so it would have been easy too. The saved electric bill would have went directly to the solar payment and had little extra money out of pocket. Plus I wouldn't feel guilty about turning the AC down even further when I'm hot. I'd probably run the house a few degrees cooler and wear sweats in the summer just because I could lol.
everything in your post makes logical sense. Every person thinking about installing solar has to take their yearly utility cost into major consideration to see if it’s worth it. My friend is high maintenance, large two story house in San Ramon so I’m sure he keeps the AC/heat on year round. Some aside, but I grew up in a home that used electric water heater which I know is rare but would make more sense in this application. The Tesla system can both feed into the battery packs or feed back into the grid
Old 09-27-20, 01:45 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

The climate change will be worse by 2035. There'll be more flex-alert days and more wildfires that PG&E would cut off the electricity. Sometimes for several days straight. How willI charge my EV?
Old 09-27-20, 04:35 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
My friend just installed a Tesla system with battery storage, and his net cost was 30K. He said that prior to it, his electricity bill was $500. Im assuming thats during the summer with AC. But he is completely off the grid now, and charges both of his electric plug ins. So lets just all it savings of $500 a month (even though we havent even included his gas savings). In a year, that is 6K so he makes it all back in 5 years. That is a really good return.

Of course this pricing is only available with rebates im sure that are higher in CA than in other states
Don't forget the batteries will have to be replaced at some point, so it's not like the savings is just for the rest of time. The warranty is really poor even for say, Powerwall 2, if cycling every day.

Gas saving is irrelevant for the calculation too since he'd get those savings regardless of the battery system.

It's also just horrid for society if rebates or tax breaks/credits are what drives the economic decision here.

Last edited by gengar; 09-27-20 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-27-20, 04:47 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Don't forget the batteries will have to be replaced at some point, so it's not like the savings is just for the rest of time. The warranty is really poor even for say, Powerwall 2, if cycling every day.

Gas saving is irrelevant for the calculation too since he'd get those savings regardless of the battery system.

It's also just horrid for society if rebates or tax breaks/credits are what drives the economic decision here.
It helps the cost breakeven earlier but if you plan to live in your home for awhile, it pays off. Average Southern California homeowner will breakeven in 7 years. No incentives, it's probably 10 years. This is all region specific though. Probably doesn't work for places like Seattle where it's always cloudy
Old 09-27-20, 05:08 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if its 7 years there, its going to be 21 years here with 1/3 the electricity cost. No thanks
Old 09-27-20, 05:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat

It's very possible... I just hope it's not the taxpayer that has to pay for it all. Let the market develop naturally, like it already is with every major manufacturer developing electric vehicles. When pricing, range, and charging support are there, people will buy them more. I think those three issues are what stop most from making the switch. The important part here is that it doesn't require a Governor MAKING us do it by executive order.

Both sides have their benefits and drawbacks. It's hard to prove one way or the other is better. There is data to support every opinion out there, and all of it contradicts other data. Electric does seem to be the future for certain demographics, like CA where it is summer for 10 months out of the year... but for states with 4 seasons and less sunlight there has to be a backup. Maybe that will be batteries one day, who knows. For now, it seems investing in other clean energy like natural gas with carbon capture or nuclear power would be smart.
I don’t think there will be a tax on income tax for green initiatives. But I do think there will tax on everything electric from a use base perspective . Battery recycling has to be paid for in environment disposal fees...what about road taxes? Time of day uses will have to have different fees... to the bold, hydrogen is the end game...it will be just as expensive as an EV for converting the world over...no batteries...easier refueling...and buy-in from all the companies currently offering gas stations etc. That doesn’t meant their wouldn’t be a place for EVs, but the economy/jobs and innovations have a far bar better opportunity than just batteries...

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-27-20 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-27-20, 06:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
A model three isn't a luxury car, it's worse than a Camry inside.
While I do like the Tesla 3...and the design is pretty cool...a Camry or even a new top level spec Corolla Hatch is better inside. Tesla 3 do go really really fast...but they are not built well from what I gather,,,but they are quite the fashion statement
Old 09-27-20, 08:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Ok folks, no more discussion about climate change, solar system pros/cons (that could be discussed in clubhouse)... let's stay on topic...

will california be able to meet the 2035 deadline do you think?
what will happen to ice cars at that time? Will they become more valuable on the used market?
will california just give a tesla or other ev to everyone who can't afford one anyway?
Old 09-27-20, 08:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ok folks, no more discussion about climate change, solar system pros/cons (that could be discussed in clubhouse)... let's stay on topic...

what will happen to ice cars at that time? Will they become more valuable on the used market?
will california just give a tesla or other ev to everyone who can't afford one anyway?
Tesla says they will have a $25k EV in 3 years during battery day. The batteries already last 300-500k miles and will get better with time. By 2035, these cars will be readily available used for $10k. It will take care of itself over time.
Old 09-28-20, 09:06 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 393 Posts

Yes, when there is a will there is a way! The devil is in the details, and there are oh-so-many to work out, but without setting a goal like this, it couldn't happen otherwise. That's how JFK got us to the moon in decade...by declaring the goal!
Probably not. Like all vehicles, the good ones will retain value and some will become collectible, but long term, most are destine for the junk yard.
No, there will be no free EV's. Same as with ICE's, if one can't afford a new or used vehicle, one will ride-share, bicycle, or take public transit to work.
Old 09-28-20, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

No. The public will simply not allow it. They rebelled against similar nonsense twice in the past, getting mandated sales-quotas for alternate-fuel vehicles overturned, and will probably do so again.

I suppose big-engine muscle-cars will.....just like the 60's-vintage muscle cars are collector's items today.

Highly unlikely, IMO. At the current rate, the state will probably be bankrupt, or close to it, before that happens. Or, if they do, it will just bring about the bankruptcy that much quicker.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-28-20 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-28-20, 02:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Yes, when there is a will there is a way! The devil is in the details, and there are oh-so-many to work out, but without setting a goal like this, it couldn't happen otherwise. That's how JFK got us to the moon in decade...by declaring the goal!
JFK was battling the Soviet empire and the budget was unlimited. California? Not so much.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. The public will simply not allow it. They rebelled against similar nonsense twice in the past, getting mandated sales-quotas for alternate-fuel vehicles overturned, and will probably do so again.
times change... electric cars are becoming more widely available right now, and by 2035 they will be in vast supply.
Old 09-28-20, 02:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Are we gonna just dump those expired batteries into the bottom of the ocean?
Old 09-28-20, 02:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Public will allow it if you give them a product they can afford in terms of upfront and long term costs. Until the big names electrify 50% of their popular models its gonna be hard.
Old 09-28-20, 02:29 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Are we gonna just dump those expired batteries into the bottom of the ocean?
Almost all EV and hybrid batteries get recycled because they have valuable materials that get reused in new batteries.

Quick Reply: California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035