Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 02:40 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
Almost all EV and hybrid batteries get recycled because they have valuable materials that get reused in new batteries.
Tesla announced plans to recycle batteries by building recycling plants on battery day. The battery materials are highly valuable.
Old 09-28-20, 03:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Almost all EV and hybrid batteries get recycled because they have valuable materials that get reused in new batteries.
Who is gonna pay for 15 million battery EVs each year to be recycled if everything is battery? The user will....it will be just as expensive if not more to operate an EV in the future than a gas car. Then there is road taxes that need to be collected that are currently included with gas purchases. And endless charging infrastructure upgrades. Recycling batteries is a dream that will never come true

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-28-20 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-28-20, 03:34 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Who is gonna pay for 15 million battery EVs each year to be recycled if everything is battery? The user will....it will be just as expensive if not more to operate an EV in the future than a gas car. Then there is road taxes that need to be collected that are currently included with gas purchases. And endless charging infrastructure upgrades. Recycling batteries is a dream that will never come true
Recycling batteries is far cheaper than mining new materials for new battery production. It’s actually a big win win because it will decrease the cost of new batteries relative to how batteries are made today with mined materials. This translates to lower costs to the consumer and a base of battery materials that don’t need to be sourced from abroad.
Old 09-28-20, 03:37 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Tesla announced plans to recycle batteries by building recycling plants on battery day. The battery materials are highly valuable.
definitely. It’s exciting to reach that end point where no more raw materials need to be mined or procured from faraway lands.
Old 09-28-20, 03:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Recycling batteries is far cheaper than mining new materials for new battery production. It’s actually a big win win because it will decrease the cost of new batteries relative to how batteries are made today with mined materials. This translates to lower costs to the consumer and a base of battery materials that don’t need to be sourced from abroad.
And who will pay for all of this? There are too many car sales per year...it’s far too costly. Typical Tesla propaganda
Old 09-28-20, 03:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

definitely. It’s exciting to reach that end point where no more raw materials need to be mined or procured from faraway lands.
I don't understand the skepticism. People act like there's no progress to be made in the next 15 years. Writing is on the wall and resistance is futile.
Old 09-28-20, 03:48 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

And who will pay for all of this? There are too many car sales per year...it’s far too costly. Typical Tesla propaganda
There is plenty of demand for electric cars right now that use expensive, non recycled battery materials. Tesla is constructing their own battery recycling facility to bring their cost of batteries down. This should result in cheaper electric vehicles for all, in the long term.
Old 09-28-20, 03:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

There is plenty of demand for electric cars right now that use expensive, non recycled battery materials. Tesla is constructing their own battery recycling facility to bring their cost of batteries down. This should result in cheaper electric vehicles for all, in the long term.
Still won’t make it cheaper to buy and us EVs for full scale conversion. I just don’t agree this will ever happen...will be a very small thing industry wide and Tesla will not be the whole industry.

Good discussion...but it will just never happen.
Old 09-28-20, 03:53 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't understand the skepticism. People act like there's no progress to be made in the next 15 years. Writing is on the wall and resistance is futile.
I think the skepticism is perfectly natural. Lots of big promises have been made over the years that never got delivered. EVs are the real deal now but it will take some time for them to earn the trust of our more skeptical brethren. I think the best selling point is to simply go and drive one. The driving experience is just exhilarating.
Old 09-28-20, 03:54 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Still won’t make it cheaper to buy and us EVs for full scale conversion. I just don’t agree this will ever happen...will be a very small thing industry wide and Tesla will not be the whole industry.

Good discussion...but it will just never happen.
It’s up to them to prove it. I’m looking forward to the next generation of EVs that should be more affordable for us all.
Old 09-28-20, 08:20 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I dont understand this. As battery technology increases, each generation will use less material for the same range. Hopefully we arrive at a place where we can recycle old batteries and use it in new ones, but if it cannot, then we will just continue mining. Economics will come into play for this one, and the industry will go where it is economically feasible.

Who would have thought that gas, which costs less than a gallon of milk in most states, costs what it does now? I mean it only takes hundreds of thousands of years to produce, then it needs to be explored and found, then extracted, then transported to a refinery, then refined, then transported again to a gas station, which itself has infrastructure. Nobody will be able to tell how much batteries will cost, but humans are extremely good at optimization and efficiency when there is cost savings to be had.
Old 09-28-20, 08:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dont understand this. As battery technology increases, each generation will use less material for the same range. Hopefully we arrive at a place where we can recycle old batteries and use it in new ones, but if it cannot, then we will just continue mining. Economics will come into play for this one, and the industry will go where it is economically feasible.

Who would have thought that gas, which costs less than a gallon of milk in most states, costs what it does now? I mean it only takes hundreds of thousands of years to produce, then it needs to be explored and found, then extracted, then transported to a refinery, then refined, then transported again to a gas station, which itself has infrastructure. Nobody will be able to tell how much batteries will cost, but humans are extremely good at optimization and efficiency when there is cost savings to be had.
With present technology, though, those batteries depend on Lithium.....and, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, supply of it, in the future, may become dicey, if it continues to be more or less controlled by just a few South American countries.
Old 09-28-20, 09:05 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With present technology, though, those batteries depend on Lithium.....and, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, supply of it, in the future, may become dicey, if it continues to be more or less controlled by just a few South American countries.
Tesla battery day confirmed there is enough lithium in one Nevada spot alone to supply the entire United States worth of EVs. Tesla actually purchased rights to the lithium and they will mine it. Their mining technique is also completely environmentally safe. They use salt to extract the lithium out of the rock.

Lithium isn't the scarce resource...it's nickel.they don't currently have enough sourced nickel and will have to find some more.
Old 09-28-20, 09:17 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Lithium isn't the scarce resource...it's nickel.they don't currently have enough sourced nickel and will have to find some more.
I think Tesla’s working on lithium-iron technology as a contingency plan since nickel supply isn’t guaranteed, as you just aptly noted.
Old 09-28-20, 09:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I think Tesla’s working on lithium-iron technology as a contingency plan since nickel supply isn’t guaranteed, as you just aptly noted.
Nickel is one of the metals that compose lithium ion batteries. The newer batteries contain more nickel than past batteries so it's becoming scarce.

Quick Reply: California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035