Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 12:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts
Default California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

And so it begins...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohn.../#4443b3b7b876

California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035

California, the biggest buyer of vehicles in the U.S., is banning sales of new gasoline- and diesel-powered cars and trucks in the state by 2035 with an executive order signed by Governor Gavin Newsom. It’s the single-most aggressive such action ever taken by any U.S. state or nation to fight carbon pollution that’s fueling higher temperatures and wildfires in California and persistent air-quality problems from automotive exhaust.

“To get to a carbon-free economy by 2045 we can’t get there without transportation,” Newsom said in a webcast today. “We are marking a new course … with a firm goal that by 2035 we will eliminate in the state of California sales of internal combustion engines.”

While new carbon-fueled vehicles can’t be purchased after the law takes effect, “you can keep your current car or buy a used car,” he said. “We’re not taking anything away.”

With a population of 40 million the state buys more than 10% of all new cars and trucks sold in the U.S. annually and is the country’s biggest market for electric vehicles, with about 750,000 on the road today. California also has 34 companies making or planning to produce electric vehicles, most notably Palo Alto-based Tesla TSLA -9.5%. The combined value of this company’s “half a trillion dollars,” Newsom said.

Transportation accounts for more than half of California’s carbon pollution, 80% percent of smog-forming pollution and 95% of harmful diesel emissions, Newsom’s office said in a statement. As a result, cities and towns in the Los Angeles region and the state’s Central Valley consistently have some of the worst air quality in the U.S.

Along with the rule of passenger vehicles, California’s Air Resources Board is to set regulations requiring medium- and heavy-duty vehicles to be zero emission by 2045, according to Newsom’s office. Drayage trucks, that haul cargo to and from the state’s ports, will need to be zero-emission by 2035.

California’s previous environmental and emissions rules have been fought by automakers, oil companies and the Trump Administration, and Newsom’s new order undoubtedly will face legal challenges. Nevertheless, six automakers that have previously agreed to stick with California’s tough automotive emissions rules are supporting the switch away from gasoline. They include Ford, Volkswagen, Honda, BMW and Volvo.

Separately, Newsom also said his order includes a ban on fracking for oil and gas production in the state.

The announcement comes the same day Volkswagen unveiled pricing and an on-sale date for its battery-powered ID.4 hatchback and a day after Elon Musk touted Tesla’s plans for cheaper batteries that he says will lead to a $25,000 electric car within the next few years.
Old 09-23-20, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

LOL. Here we go again. California has tried this twice in the past (either banning ICEs outright, or greatly restricting them and mandating a certain percentage of alternate-fuel vehicles sold).....and, both times, was forced, by public opinion, to retract the mandate. Probably will this time, too.
Old 09-23-20, 02:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Very impressed that California has done this.
Old 09-23-20, 02:30 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

with the billions we spend on putting out fires, they could probably build an underground sprinkler or water pipe network which they could turn on at will and put out fires faster.

if ev cars are cheap enough by 2035, I'd be happy to ditch ICE, considering the stupid higher gas prices we pay.

but right now, electric cars are still way more expensive to own. Quick google says ev costs 485$ per year, gas car costs $1117 per year. $632 difference x 20 years = $13000

a comparable EV has to be less than $13k more expensive to be worthwhile.
Old 09-23-20, 02:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, cheap populism.
Old 09-23-20, 02:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,548 Posts

In 15 years will there be enough production of non petrol cars to meet demand? I have my doubts.
Old 09-23-20, 02:55 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
with the billions we spend on putting out fires, they could probably build an underground sprinkler or water pipe network which they could turn on at will and put out fires faster.

if ev cars are cheap enough by 2035, I'd be happy to ditch ICE, considering the stupid higher gas prices we pay.

but right now, electric cars are still way more expensive to own. Quick google says ev costs 485$ per year, gas car costs $1117 per year. $632 difference x 20 years = $13000

a comparable EV has to be less than $13k more expensive to be worthwhile.
Thats not accurate. EVs in the luxury segment are already comparable. A base 3 series cost $50k with decent options. A comparable Model 3 is cheaper than that with almost no maintenance cost. BTW, if you live in California, gas is 3-4x higher than the cost of electricity on a per mile basis. California rates are typically 11 cents per kwh which equates to about $500 if you drive 15000 miles. Assuming a comparable BMW gets around 25mpg, you are look at $2000 if gas is around $3.50 per gallon. Not to mention a $50k Tesla would run rings around a $50k BMW.
Old 09-23-20, 03:42 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So what happens in 2035 if this doesn't come to fruition? No one in CA can buy a new gas car? Those will be some really mad voters.
Old 09-23-20, 03:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

You are assuming any thought went into this legislation.
Old 09-23-20, 03:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

“To get to a carbon-free economy by 2045 we can’t get there without transportation,” Newsom said in a webcast today. “We are marking a new course … with a firm goal that by 2035 we will eliminate in the state of California sales of internal combustion engines.”
While it doesn't say specifically, I'd wager this ban is for strictly for full ICE cars. I imagine as long as the vehicle is hybrid or PHEV it can get away with still having ICE.
Old 09-23-20, 03:59 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
While it doesn't say specifically, I'd wager this ban is for strictly for full ICE cars. I imagine as long as the vehicle is hybrid or PHEV it can get away with still having ICE.
Actually, the executive order signed today mandates ZEVs only - so this is a complete ICE ban.
Old 09-23-20, 04:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Actually, the executive order signed today mandates ZEVs only - so this is a complete ICE ban.
Ah, thanks for the correction
Old 09-23-20, 04:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

It in effect does specifically say. Zero emission passenger vehicles by 2035, trucks zero emissions by 2045. .....beaten to is see above.

And yes I am aware zero emissions really means emissions elsewhere the only question is how much.
Old 09-23-20, 04:17 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
It in effect does specifically say. Zero emission passenger vehicles by 2035, trucks zero emissions by 2045. .....beaten to is see above.

And yes I am aware zero emissions really means emissions elsewhere the only question is how much.
For sure - when I use the term "ZEV" I'm of course using CA's definition of the term - which just means no emissions from the vehicle itself, in any power mode.

Originally Posted by Bob04
I don't care what Cali does in Cali. Fine by me. The problem is that it won't stay in Cali. Seems many think that all these ideas need to be pushed to the federal level. Be careful who you support.
I care only insofar as so many people fleeing CA come and crowd up my state, which is incredibly annoying.
Old 09-23-20, 04:38 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Totally insane. It's not going to pass/work. One state can't just change the auto industry. California has a lot more problems to worry about then now banning IC cars. No wonder normal people are fleeing that state in such high numbers.

Quick Reply: California Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars In The State By 2035