Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2021 Toyota Venza

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 11:18 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The NX in 2015 couldn't have been what this Venza is today. The platform didn't exist. TNGA has been a good step forward for the Toyota and Lexus products. Should give strong indication of what the new NX should achieve. We should be seeing it shortly.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps it's apples and oranges to some extent....but still think that the NX platform could have been better done. I just wasn't impressed with it. Outside of the UX interior, Lexus, IMO, actually did a better overall job with that vehicle.
The NX was a decent first effort to break into the compact luxury CUV segment for Lexus, the 2018 refresh fixed MANY of the initial short comings. But pbm317 is correct, the NX could not have been what the Venza is today, as the Venza uses TNGA, the current NX uses Toyota New MC. The upcoming second generation NX will migrate to the TNGA platform and Venza powertrain (and current 2.0T). Marshall, the UX is better because it is on TNGA: GA-C. You're review of the 2015 NX doesn't hold much value anymore since you have not driven a 2018+ NX. Besides Lexus Safety System+ becoming standard, and Improved multimedia and Remote Touch Interface (RTI), other interior improvements included updated climate control buttons and switches. The MOST important thing is the significant improvements to the suspension. So before you keep bashing the NX, I implore you to drive it one more time. Regardless of whether you think its better, worse or on par with the UX, it's better than the 2015 NX bar none.

Significant improvements have been made to the vehicle’s suspension tuning to enhance ride and handling. The springs, stabilizer bars and bushings have been retuned for improved turn-in response and steady-state cornering. Also, new shock absorbers improve the quality of the NX’s already smooth ride. But the biggest new change to the NX’s chassis is the available Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), now based on the advanced system found in the LC 500, which offers a range of up to 650 instantaneous compression and damping adjustments (up from 30) for enhanced control and overall handling stability.
Old 09-25-20, 11:24 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
indeed. and putting aside the horrendous wheel gap, the proportions of this thing are just fugly. front giant overhang, short wheelbase, high belt line... it's another frankenstein design.

look how it compares to a mercedes GLC in proportions which is about the same dimensions.
GLC is RWD based . The Mercedes GLB is FWD based and within an inch of the GLC, is a better comparison.
Old 09-25-20, 11:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
GLC is RWD based . The Mercedes GLB is FWD based and within an inch of the GLC, is a better comparison.
yes of course i know that. but here you go... the front overhang of the fwd-based glb is longer too, but the wheelbase is still a lot bigger than the venza.

Old 09-25-20, 12:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Great review, as always.
Thanks. Been somewhat lax with them lately.

The NX and Venza parallel is a stretch. The NX was to be a bit more on the sporty and edgy side, while the Venza is a lazier, family hauler. Two different rolls and two different outcomes.
Guess it depends on what you like (or want) in a vehicle. I found the Venza significantly more pleasant to drive than the NX, which, by Lexus standards, was disappointing.

I look at the new Venza as a mini or affordable RX hybrid. I also dislike its styling- flabby and soft. But it hits the mark for Toyota customers, so chalk it in as a sales winner.
You also have to remember that a fair number of the Highlander customers are buying or leasing it because they want the same mechanicals and reliability as the RX, but the RX's in-your-face looks is just too much for them.
Old 09-25-20, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
indeed. and putting aside the horrendous wheel gap, the proportions of this thing are just fugly. front giant overhang, short wheelbase, high belt line... it's another frankenstein design.

look how it compares to a mercedes GLC in proportions which is about the same dimensions.

and i won't even get started on the cheapo interior.

but i do love the electro-dimming pano roof... very cool feature.

^^^^^ Except for the tacky Etch-a-Sketch mount, I did not find the Venza interior cheap at all, particularly in the Limited version.

I don't quite understand the hatred of front overhangs. Having weight in front of the front axle may slow the steering response a little, but, all else equal, it can help make the vehicle more stable in its lane-tracking (so you don't have to constantly listen to those lane-change beeps), and improve ride comfort by placing a greater share of weight-distribution over the front suspension (and a lower-percentage of unsprung weight under the suspension).
Old 09-25-20, 12:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I implore you to drive it one more time. Regardless of whether you think its better, worse or on par with the UX, it's better than the 2015 NX bar none.
I'll consider another NX test-drive before it is redesigned, and if I feel I have to revise any earlier statements, I will.
Old 09-25-20, 12:49 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Surprisingly, there's already $500 cash back on Venzas, at least in my zip code area.
Old 09-25-20, 12:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I don't quite understand the hatred of front overhangs. Having weight in front of the front axle may slow the steering response a little, but, all else equal, it can help make the vehicle more stable in its lane-tracking (so you don't have to constantly listen to those lane-change beeps), and improve ride comfort by placing a greater share of weight-distribution over the front suspension (and a lower-percentage of unsprung weight under the suspension).
Its just ugly. I just really dislike their short wheelbase long front overhang FWD look.

And longer wheelbases improve ride comfort, a large front overhang does not.

Originally Posted by TriC
Surprisingly, there's already $500 cash back on Venzas, at least in my zip code area.
Doesnt surprise me. This being only hybrid is an issue.
Old 09-25-20, 01:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

^^^^^ Except for the tacky Etch-a-Sketch mount, I did not find the Venza interior cheap at all, particularly in the Limited version.

I have never understood it either...for every FWD complaint, I can't understand the LS400 rear overhang..

Personally, equal F/R proportions looks proper.
Old 09-25-20, 01:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That LS400 was designed 35 years ago. Design has evolved a ton since then, and you don't find that kind of huge rear overhang on cars anymore, and you don't find that huge front overhang on cars anymore except for Toyotas. That side profile of the Venza just looks like its from another era, I feel the same way about the Highlander.

Look at an LS500, you don't have that super long rear overhang anymore.

When you consider that this Venza is 4cyl hybrid only there is no reason for it to have these proportions. Look at 4cyl Volvos for what can be done to make FWD crossovers look great. The challenge for design is when you try and put a bigger engine in a FWD car and maintain those Volvo proportions, but Toyota doesnt have that issue with the Venza.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-25-20 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-25-20, 01:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Full-size temporary spare in the cargo area.
MM
That is astonishing.....it wouldn't be temporary if it where full size
Old 09-25-20, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That is astonishing.....it wouldn't be temporary if it where full size
Actually, it is a legitimate term.

A temporary full-size spare is for limited-use (usually for 50 miles at 50 MPH)..but is called "full size" because it is the same rolling-diameter as he other four tires on the vehicle....as opposed to an undersized donut-spare.
Old 09-25-20, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its just ugly. I just really dislike their short wheelbase long front overhang FWD look.
OK, fine, that's a valid reason, but it's based on personal preference. There are some things on vehicles I don't like either, simply based on personal preference.

And longer wheelbases improve ride comfort, a large front overhang does not.
Well, a number of factors come into play, but, all else equal, yes, a heavy front end can improve ride comfort because it places more weight and stability up front, and makes it more difficult for the front suspension to bounce things up and down. That's one of the reasons (among many) why the Lincoln Town Car and Cadillac DTS had such a smooth ride...the massive front and rear overhangs that placed a lot of weight on both the front and rear suspensions.

You're probably already aware of this, but, if not, in automotive terms, the percentage of the vehicle's total weight under the suspension's moving parts (as opposed to that over them) is known as "unsprung weight". In general, the higher the mount (or percentage) of unsprung weight, the more bouncy the ride will be, because of the physical force acting on the bottom of the suspension. That's something to think about when installing larger-than-stock wheels and tires, which can often weigh more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-25-20 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-25-20, 03:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The overhangs didnt give the Town Car its nice ride. If you look down into the engine bay of a TownCar thats largely just dead space. its just a difference in vehicle design from then to today. The only reason these cars have these massive overhangs is design laziness from Toyota. It takes effort and focus to get those good proportions with a FWD car (as with Volvos), and Toyota just isn't interested in doing that.
Old 09-25-20, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned Full-Reviews (when available): 2021 Buick Envision, Ford Bronco

I also plan (by CL request) to review the 2022 Mazda6 with the new Skyactiv in-line 6 and 8-speed, but that won't be available for some time yet.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2021 Toyota Venza