Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2021 Toyota Venza

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 07:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This what the original Lexus NX should have been, and wasn't.
The new Venza is what the original Lexus RX was.
Old 09-25-20, 07:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The NX was a decent first effort to break into the compact luxury CUV segment for Lexus, the 2018 refresh fixed MANY of the initial short comings. But pbm317 is correct, the NX could not have been what the Venza is today, as the Venza uses TNGA, the current NX uses Toyota New MC. The upcoming second generation NX will migrate to the TNGA platform and Venza powertrain (and current 2.0T). Marshall, the UX is better because it is on TNGA: GA-C. You're review of the 2015 NX doesn't hold much value anymore since you have not driven a 2018+ NX. Besides Lexus Safety System+ becoming standard, and Improved multimedia and Remote Touch Interface (RTI), other interior improvements included updated climate control buttons and switches. The MOST important thing is the significant improvements to the suspension. So before you keep bashing the NX, I implore you to drive it one more time. Regardless of whether you think its better, worse or on par with the UX, it's better than the 2015 NX bar none.
Interesting improvements in 18
Old 09-25-20, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new Venza is what the original Lexus RX was.
Not quite. The new 2021 Venza is all-hybrid. The RX did not get a hybrid at all in its 1Gen version. In fact, the first hybrid vehicles in the U.S. (the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight) debuted in 2000...two years after the first gasoline RX in 1998.

On another note, Jill, when's your new 4Runner due?
Old 09-25-20, 08:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not quite. The new 2021 Venza is all-hybrid. The RX did not get a hybrid at all in its 1Gen version. In fact, the first hybrid vehicles in the U.S. (the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight) debuted in 2000...two years after the first gasoline RX in 1998.

On another note, Jill, when's your new 4Runner due?
no idea. Haven’t heard. Oct last I knew.
Old 09-25-20, 10:06 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

I have never understood it either...for every FWD complaint, I can't understand the LS400 rear overhang..

Personally, equal F/R proportions looks proper.
The 95-00 LS400 had its proportions just right. The earliest LS400 looked rather more like an inflated Cressida.
Old 09-26-20, 04:01 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

One thing the Venza has over the Rav 4 is that the Venza is Made in Japan. That may be important to some potential buyers.
Old 09-26-20, 05:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
One thing the Venza has over the Rav 4 is that the Venza is Made in Japan. That may be important to some potential buyers.
Made in Japan always make a Toyota a little more special
Old 09-26-20, 05:48 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice review Marshall,

I agree the tacked on video board is an annoyance. Is the only input by touch screen? No other buttons/***** visible as an alternate in the photos. I don't like the curved console around the shifter. It appears it will make it tough to put anything there without sliding off like my change for the next toll booth. That's all my nitpicks.

The Venza appears to be an excellent offering, awd-hybrid in a beautiful design. Well done Toyota. The front overhang complaint is a stretch and basically crap.

I look forward to seeing one and test driving it.
Old 09-26-20, 05:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

My parents’ RAV4 was built in Japan. My sister’s was not.

I can’t tell a difference though.
Old 09-26-20, 06:00 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by JDR76
My parents’ RAV4 was built in Japan. My sister’s was not.

I can’t tell a difference though.
I agree, I had JDL and a Canadian Lexus and could't tell. Toyota does have quality control.
Old 09-26-20, 06:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I agree, I had JDL and a Canadian Lexus and could't tell. Toyota does have quality control.
There is sometimes a difference....but it is more in the design details and not always the quality of build. For instance, a Japan made pickup comes with a fully boxed frame whereas the US Tacoma is a c-channel frame design...drum brakes on a Tacoma whereas its full-disc on a Hilux...other stuff like always on full-time 4WD is only available in the USA with the Japan made 4Runner, GX or LX. VGRS steering on Japan made Land Cruiser or LX but nothing on a Sequoia...sometimes it goes the other way but generally the Japan stuff has nicer features or more up to date design features...LC/LX have 8 speeds whereas Sequoia is using a 6 speed....Lexus used to get the pre-collision stuff and just a few Japan sourced Toyota's had it at the time....
Old 09-26-20, 06:52 AM
rogerh00
Racer

There is sometimes a difference....but it is more in the design details and not always the quality of build. For instance, a Japan made pickup comes with a fully boxed frame whereas the US Tacoma is a c-channel frame design...drum brakes on a Tacoma whereas its full-disc on a Hilux...other stuff like always on full-time 4WD is only available in the USA with the Japan made 4Runner, GX or LX. VGRS steering on Japan made Land Cruiser or LX but nothing on a Sequoia...sometimes it goes the other way but generally the Japan stuff has nicer features or more up to date design features...LC/LX have 8 speeds whereas Sequoia is using a 6 speed....Lexus used to get the pre-collision stuff and just a few Japan sourced Toyota's had it at the time....
That's all good info but we're talking about a SUV here. My Rx's and NX were all the same quality. This notion that it has be built in Japan is is way overrated.
Old 09-26-20, 07:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,616 Posts

It appears it will make it tough to put anything there without sliding off like my change for the next toll booth. That's all my nitpicks.
you don't use sunpass in FL?
Old 09-26-20, 07:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's all good info but we're talking about a SUV here. My Rx's and NX were all the same quality. This notion that it has be built in Japan is is way overrated.
I disagree that it is way overrated....I think it is very prevalent especially in the design and features details...You are seeing the Japan/USA difference is this very case with the new Venza....the new Venza comes with a power telescoping.tilt steering, some S-flow sensor for the AC, and the new frosted glass roof (which I personally think is dumb) are because they are Japan sourced. None of this stuff is offered on the RAV4 or Highlander.

When you compare the RAV4 hybrid vs the Venza hybrid, the Venza comes with the updated lithium battery vs the RAV4 nickel metal hydride

Build quality if the models are the same, I don't think there is a difference.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-26-20 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-26-20, 07:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

But none of that would apply here. The RAV4s built in Japan are equipped the same as those built in Canada.

And the platform, drivetrain, etc is the same on the Venza as the RAV4.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2021 Toyota Venza