Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2021 Toyota Venza

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-20, 07:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

And the platform, drivetrain, etc is the same on the Venza as the RAV4.
Updated lithium battery packs for the Venza
Old 09-26-20, 07:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Are you saying the Venza wouldn’t have those if it was built in NA?
Old 09-26-20, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Nice review Marshall,
Thanks. It was generally a pleasant experience reviewing it.

I agree the tacked on video board is an annoyance.
Can't say for sure, but my strong guess is that some automakers are doing that because it is easier and cheaper than integrating it ito the dash. It might (?) also, in some cases, make it easier to repair or replace.

Is the only input by touch screen? No other buttons/***** visible as an alternate in the photos.
There are a few fan/climate buttons available underneath the center air-vents, but, yes, many functions are on the screen. However, the screen itself is not difficult to use by past Toyota standards....I've seen worse.

The Venza appears to be an excellent offering, awd-hybrid in a beautiful design. Well done Toyota. The front overhang complaint is a stretch and basically crap.
Several of us in the thread have already discussed the front overhang, and have varying opinions. I'm generally not one that finds fault with overhangs, and I like the benefits they can, under some circumstances, give to stability and ride-comfort. I'll admit, though, that they can make parking a little more difficult, with their added length.

(The parking has been an issue on my Lacrosse...one reason why I'm downsizing to an Encore GX)

I look forward to seeing one and test driving it.
Check your local dealer-stock. Should be starting to arrive by now.
Old 09-26-20, 07:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't believe it would. (down the road it might get updated) Japan made Toyota's quite often (not always) receive more things and design features that are just left off American made Toyota's. That is not to say that all Japan stuff gets it....sometimes it’s the other way but not often.

For example:
A Japan made RAV4 that is available in Asia as well as some other countries receive a full pano-roof that goes into the rear seats.

feature differences and upgrades between world market Toyota's often built in Japan compared to US made models is all over the range of models.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-26-20 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-26-20, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hard to say. Those battery packs, of course, depend on the supply of lithium, much of which comes from the South American countries of Bolivia, Chile, and Argentina....particularly Bolivia. Obviously, if one is on friendly terms with the governments of those countries, or with other countries that trade with them, one is more likely to get the lithium supplies they need, or will need.
Old 09-26-20, 07:57 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I thought the claim was that Japan built was better quality. That was what we were talking about not some different hardware added like what is being fostered. It's like comparing different models with more features. Apples and oranges.
Old 09-26-20, 08:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I thought the claim was that Japan built was better quality. That was what we were talking about not some different hardware added like what is being fostered. It's like comparing different models with more features. Apples and oranges.
I don't think I made that claim....I just think the Japan designed and built vehicles are a little more special than the US made models or USA designed models like Tundra/Avalon and Tacoma....a little more complete...but build quality between Japan RX or Canada made RX are very likely indistinguishable.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-26-20 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-26-20, 08:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I don't believe it would. (down the road it might get updated) Japan made Toyota's quite often (not always) receive more things and design features that are just left off American made Toyota's. That is not to say that all Japan stuff gets it....sometimes it’s the other way but not often.

For example:
A Japan made RAV4 that is available in Asia as well as some other countries receive a full pano-roof that goes into the rear seats.

feature differences and upgrades between world market Toyota's often built in Japan compared to US made models is all over the range of models.
The Canadian built RAV4s also have the panoramic sunroof. That has nothing to do with being built in Japan.
Old 09-26-20, 08:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Toyota puts the Lithium Ion batteries in other NA built vehicles. No reason why they wouldn’t do that on the Venza if it were built here.
Old 09-26-20, 08:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The Canadian built RAV4s also have the panoramic sunroof. That has nothing to do with being built in Japan.
Thanks...was not aware...don't think that roof is available in Canada.
Old 09-26-20, 08:25 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Thanks...was not aware...don't think that roof is available in Canada.
It may not be available in the Canadian market, not sure. My sister has it on her RAV4.
Old 09-26-20, 10:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

The Venza appears to be an excellent offering, awd-hybrid in a beautiful design. Well done Toyota. The front overhang complaint is a stretch and basically crap.

I look forward to seeing one and test driving it.
Not sure how you can say someone’s aesthetic opinion is “a stretch” and “crap”. If it doesn’t bother you, then that’s your opinion, but that doesn’t invalidate my opinion. I hate that look, and for whatever reason FWD Toyota’s design has that look more than other carmakers FWD designs. It was more excusable when they were still using V6s as it’s harder to place the larger engine in front of the front wheels and still have a balanced RWD look, like if you look at an Accord, it doesn’t have that look as much as a Camry or Avalon, but it also doesn’t have a larger V6 offering. This Venza though doesn’t have that issue...they could have improved on that look.
Old 09-26-20, 11:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota puts the Lithium Ion batteries in other NA built vehicles. No reason why they wouldn’t do that on the Venza if it were built here.
Did you see my earlier comment about much of the world's supply of lithium coming from a few countries in South America, and the (possible) restrictions on supply and export?
Old 09-26-20, 01:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

INTERIOR:

...Most of the ergonomics inside are good-to-excellent, and the gauges are clear, colorful, and easy to read, with bright blue needles. The operation of the video-screen controls/icons is one of the best I've seen yet from Toyota, and the stereo sound quality is excellent...my test vehicle had the Premium Audio package-option. A hybrid power-flow-indicator can be configured if desired, which will show you when you are running on either the gas or electrics (or both). A superb (and, IMO, properly-designed) fore/aft-motion shift lever for the CVT transmission is on the console (no zigzags), and smoothly glides through the gear-ranges like butter....too many vehicles today are dumping this for quirky push/pull buttons, rotary-twist-*****, E-joysticks, L-shaped patterns, and other gimmicks. My advice to those automakers....don't fix what ain't broke. Being a state-of-the-art vehicle, virtually all of the conveniences, Multimedia, and safety features one would expect are included or available, particularly on the Limited model.

The only really tacky-looking thing inside, IMO, is something that Toyota, Ford/Lincoln, and some other automakers seem fixated on...the Etch-a-Sketch-type mounting of the video-screen housing on top of the dash, instead of properly integrating it into the dash like GM, Kia, and other automakers do. Some people don't mind it, but I'm just not a fan of that tacked-on look...in the Venza's case, mounted directly over the center-dash air-vents. But it wouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker in my book....there are plenty of other nice things in this vehicle to compensate.
You were pretty positive about the interior. You didn't find the fact that the start/power button is buried in the center console cave a little odd or inconvenient?

What is the purpose of the big wedge/block part of the passenger side upper dash?

The brown/gray combo doesn't work for me.

and the etch-a-sketch screen with huge bezel area looks very weak for 2021.

and not offering full digital gauges in a 2021 model is a weak too.

and you may like the 'proper' shifter, but it just looks ancient and cheap to me and takes up way too much room.

are the climate and other center stack controls 'proper' buttons, or are they just touch areas?
Old 09-26-20, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Yeah that screen is just...yack.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2021 Toyota Venza