Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2021 Toyota Venza

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 10:43 AM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last 4 cars have been Lexus when our lease was up on our RC 350 three years ago we looked into a suv as we are into flipping houses and airbnb's. I looked at the NX and RX 350 they lacked performance. So we became a one car family with my original Lexus 2006 IS 350 and just renting pick ups and trailers when we needed it. I was excited about the RAV4 prime and 2,500 towing capacity, plug in hybrid but at $50k and lack of availability and so so interior, we became disenchanted with it. Reading about the Venza and its availability and lower price we were willing to forego performance but it is not rated for towing at all. So we had to cross it off our list. Lexus for 2021 is supposed to have an updated NX, based on the RAV4 prime, hopefully my 06 IS with 200k miles can hang on for another year.
Old 10-01-20, 02:55 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 241 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by GSdriven
My last 4 cars have been Lexus when our lease was up on our RC 350 three years ago we looked into a suv as we are into flipping houses and airbnb's. I looked at the NX and RX 350 they lacked performance. So we became a one car family with my original Lexus 2006 IS 350 and just renting pick ups and trailers when we needed it. I was excited about the RAV4 prime and 2,500 towing capacity, plug in hybrid but at $50k and lack of availability and so so interior, we became disenchanted with it. Reading about the Venza and its availability and lower price we were willing to forego performance but it is not rated for towing at all. So we had to cross it off our list. Lexus for 2021 is supposed to have an updated NX, based on the RAV4 prime, hopefully my 06 IS with 200k miles can hang on for another year.
The RX350 with the towing prep package how a towing capacity of 3,500lbs.
Old 10-01-20, 01:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Sounds like you lead a blessed life! In my case, I do all scheduled maintenance and repairs for a family of three, with five vehicles. My newest vehicle is a 2011 and the oldest is a 1985. So having all Toyota/Lexus vehicles is one way to minimize my time in the garage. Too, when working on Japanese vehicles, I find the engineers have put effort into designing them to be maintained with a minimum of special tools and specialized knowledge. If I had five MB's, I'd shoot myself!
i am indeed very fortunate. but so are you with 5 vehicles! my partner and i have just 2 between us.
you must buy oil filters by the case

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, perhaps this article will explain it better than I can.
https://itstillruns.com/do-ford-rang...r-7887342.html
thanks, that article said essentially exactly what i said, and nothing about weight 'underneath' the suspension, etc. from the article:
The Ranger's suspension was designed to be somewhat stiff, which allows the truck to tow a trailer or carry a heavy payload in the bed. When the truck is not loaded or towing, the stiffness of the suspension shows up in the form of a bouncy ride.
OK, Sorry, I thought you had one of the newly-designed unibody/FWD models. That one stuck in my mind because that-generation Explorer was brand-new back around 2010 or 2011, and it was the first full-review, I think, that I did after my December 2010 heart-surgery. I thought I remembered (perhaps not) you said you were looking at one back then, after the Miata, and that was one reason I did the review. I don't remember exactly when you replaced it with the JGC....but it was a few years later.
you have a good memory, but i got the explorer ('06) before the miata ('07). the explorer replaced my glorious modified gs400 because i needed more cargo space after moving to a rural spot. a year or so later i got the miata because the explorer was as interesting to drive as watching paint dry. i sold the miata in '10 due to divorce, and the explorer in '15 to get the JGC. so yes, i had that explorer for 9 years and over 100k trouble-free miles.

anyway, off topic here.

i assume the venza rides very comfortably.
Old 10-01-20, 02:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
The RX350 with the towing prep package how a towing capacity of 3,500lbs.
Never ever seen anyone in my life tow with any generation RX
Old 10-01-20, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Never ever seen anyone in my life tow with any generation RX
Seriously? I see small U-Haul trailers, and jet ski trailers being pulled by RX's all the time.
Old 10-01-20, 04:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i am indeed very fortunate. but so are you with 5 vehicles! my partner and i have just 2 between us.
If you don't need more vehicles, why have more? Just more paperwork, licensing, insurance, maintenance, inspections (if applicable), property-taxes, and record-keeping.

you must buy oil filters by the case
Just like the way I buy SCRATCH OUT.

thanks, that article said essentially exactly what i said, and nothing about weight 'underneath' the suspension, etc. from the article:
Again, I (and it) was talking about the upper/lower forces on the suspension....and much of that comes from weight and impact. But, apparently you don't quite follow, and it's not that important in the sense of what causes it is not as big a deal as how you actually feel it while driving.

you have a good memory,
What's interesting is that I write about vehicles of over a half-century ago with a photographic memory, then forget where I put something two minutes ago LOL.

but i got the explorer ('06) before the miata ('07). the explorer replaced my glorious modified gs400 because i needed more cargo space after moving to a rural spot. a year or so later i got the miata because the explorer was as interesting to drive as watching paint dry. i sold the miata in '10 due to divorce, and the explorer in '15 to get the JGC. so yes, i had that explorer for 9 years and over 100k trouble-free miles.
Don't remember the GS400, but I do remember the others. I have been with CL since late 2003. Steve, from what I remember, had two JGCs...an early one after the redesign (either 2010 or 2011) and a 2014...so I suspect that may have been an inspiration for your 2015.

anyway, off topic here.
Hey, it's Car Chat LOL. So, what else is new?

i assume the venza rides very comfortably.
In general, yes, but there is a very small amount of crossover/SUV-type of bobbing/pitching, and, as with most vehicles, tire noise goes up in direct proportion to the amount of porosity and grainy-texture in the road surface.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-01-20 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you don't need more vehicles, why have more? Just more paperwork, licensing, insurance, maintenance, inspections (if applicable), property-taxes, and record-keeping.
because not everything's about need. If someone wants a hundred cars and can swing it, more power to them. What's good for you isn't necessarily right for anyone else. But yes, you and I don't want a fleet of cars but I think I'm going to go back to two because there's no one vehicle that does it all for me.

What's interesting is that I write about vehicles of over a half-century ago with a photographic memory, then forget where I put something two minutes ago LOL.
yes, this is pretty inevitable for all who 'advance'... for me, consistent routine and places to put things is important - if i deviate, then yes, i will struggle to find things!

Don't remember the GS400
I got that late '99 i think ('00 model) - LOVED it.

And CL and local meets gave me the mod bug and i went nuts with it. I still wonder what happened to it.
Old 10-02-20, 09:35 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 485 Likes on 386 Posts

because not everything's about need. If someone wants a hundred cars and can swing it, more power to them. What's good for you isn't necessarily right for anyone else. But yes, you and I don't want a fleet of cars but I think I'm going to go back to two because there's no one vehicle that does it all for me.
Extra vehicles are a blessing and a curse. A blessing when I need: a truck for hauling (Tundra), a GT for touring (SC430), a sedan for my wife to use around town and for family trips (ES350), a commute-to-school car for my son (Matrix), a memento--my dad's last car, (MR2). But, a fleet is a curse for scheduled maintenance, washing/waxing/detailing, registration and insurance! If I had space, I'd have more, like the ones I let go: '77 Landcrusher (FJ40), '69 Karman Ghia Convertible, '67 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Van.
Old 10-02-20, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

because not everything's about need. If someone wants a hundred cars and can swing it, more power to them.
Well, OK, but I'm generally speaking from the position that most of us aren't Jay Leno.

Old 10-04-20, 11:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Extra vehicles are a blessing and a curse. A blessing when I need: a truck for hauling (Tundra), a GT for touring (SC430), a sedan for my wife to use around town and for family trips (ES350), a commute-to-school car for my son (Matrix), a memento--my dad's last car, (MR2). But, a fleet is a curse for scheduled maintenance, washing/waxing/detailing, registration and insurance! If I had space, I'd have more, like the ones I let go: '77 Landcrusher (FJ40), '69 Karman Ghia Convertible, '67 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Van.
Extra cars are fun to have. Having the choice of what to drive on any different day is a nice luxury
Old 01-18-21, 03:31 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Bringing up an old thread - wife and I checked out a Rav4 Hybrid today (generally unimpressed, it is unrefined overall - uses its functionality, gas mileage and brand to sell) and the Venza. We haven't been able to stop talking about the Venza since...it was very memorable! Mmarshall said it is what the NX should have been and I agree (it is what the Ct200h should have been too) - it is pretty much a Lexus with a Toyota pad (and without the touch pad interface). It rode well, materials felt very premium and really attractive styling. Wish it was a tad quieter and maybe extending thigh bolsters but for $40k I'd probably buy this than any NX/RX.
Old 01-18-21, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
Bringing up an old thread - wife and I checked out a Rav4 Hybrid today (generally unimpressed, it is unrefined overall - uses its functionality, gas mileage and brand to sell) and the Venza. We haven't been able to stop talking about the Venza since...it was very memorable! Mmarshall said it is what the NX should have been and I agree (it is what the Ct200h should have been too) - it is pretty much a Lexus with a Toyota pad (and without the touch pad interface). It rode well, materials felt very premium and really attractive styling. Wish it was a tad quieter and maybe extending thigh bolsters but for $40k I'd probably buy this than any NX/RX.

Best of luck in your search for a new vehicle.

We're likely to see a new 2nd-Generation NX next year, for 2022, but, I agree, it is going to have its work cut out for it compared to the new Toyota-badged Venza. A new NX, IMO, is badly-needed......I was not at all impressed with the last one.

Here's Car and Driver's take on the upcoming 2Gen Venza:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...exus-nx-spied/