Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Reveals QX60 Monograph Concept

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 09:22 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Thanks for the clarification. So was this "teaser" designed before or after the completed production model? If it's the latter, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that Aviator designer penned it.
Yes, Woodhouse was definitely involved with the teaser. As for the production model? Only the most minor details, since it was already locked in by 2019.
Old 09-29-20, 10:26 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Yes, Woodhouse was definitely involved with the teaser. As for the production model? Only the most minor details, since it was already locked in by 2019.
I hope they dont pull something like this.

Monograph

Actual Release
Old 10-02-20, 09:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

leaked interior spy shots at motor 1...no more shiny "plood" and double decker screens

https://www.motor1.com/news/447038/2...rior-revealed/
Old 10-02-20, 09:47 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

It's relatively inoffensive, at least they did away with that dual screen setup.

Old 10-03-20, 07:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Looks very 'generic'.

Also looks like they've cloned a lot of GV80 interior.
Old 10-03-20, 07:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I hope other Infiniti's will follow suit. Finally something different inside from them.
Old 10-03-20, 09:16 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Looks very 'generic'.

It looks like a BMWs interior. I thought it was a photo of a BMWs interior honestly.
Old 10-03-20, 06:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Looks very 'generic'.

Originally Posted by sdls
It looks like a BMWs interior. I thought it was a photo of a BMWs interior honestly.
Doesn't everything look generic now? BMW set the trend, it turned out to be awesome, and it is becoming the standard for new age of automotive interiors probably for at least a couple of decades to come.
Old 10-03-20, 08:28 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I sense far more Aviator influence in the interior than Genesis or BMW. It looks like Infiniti stylistically benchmarked the Aviator inside-out. Even though the mock-ups in this thread were created after the car had been finalized, it's clear that Infiniti had the Aviator in mind when they designed this.

However, if what Carmaker1 says is correct, then the only conclusion I can come to is that it's not so much directly inspired by the Aviator as it is a Range Rover, which also inspired the Aviator. Parallel evolution etc.

Last edited by Motorola; 10-03-20 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-04-20, 07:51 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

If the infiniti Qx60 interior is in the discussion with Genesis interiors (throwing all their cash reserves to make an impact), BMW copy, aviator influence (carmaker1 rightly pointed out thats impossible)... I think theyre doing a great job.

The current infiniti interiors are nothing modern or special...lots of high shine plastic or wood who knows with diamond quilt patterning (saving grace imho).

I think the only question is will the folks who have grown accustom to their uber cheap leases be willing to pay fair market value....
Old 10-04-20, 08:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It's relatively inoffensive, at least they did away with that dual screen setup.

Looks really dull, almost depressing in design. That is not going to gain any new fans.
Old 10-05-20, 09:21 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wife and I considered the current QX60 a couple years back because it had a lot of practicality to it. Couldn't get past the CVT issues though (maybe read too much into it) and some of the little things that irked us with her G35 coupe still in the back of her mind. The models we were looking at were around $60K, but dealers were offering $12-15K off around this time so it has that going for it.

Styling wise, this one looks like a big improvement - hopefully the powertrain(s) got some attention too...
Old 10-05-20, 10:00 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I hope they dont pull something like this.

Monograph

Actual Release
It's something like that. Many of these "concepts" are thinly veiled production models, made into abstract form to not give it away immediately. 2002 FX45 Concept was not too dissimilar in execution compared to 2003 FX45 nor were the QX Inspiration and QX50 Concepts of 2016 and 2017.

----------

In trying to ignore one trolling comment in here (not yours coolsaber ), I do remember stating that the design freeze for this program was well before the Aviator went into production and before that was shown as a similarly executed teaser concept in 2018. Genesis CUVs included, as Hyundai corporate has cleverly copied Infiniti and Lexus to varying degrees, not to mention others.

Anyone mentioning Genesis here, needs to pay better attention and not be so basic, in understanding how product planning works. It's highly unfair to ALL carmakers, to make such short-sighted judgments/accusations, when you personally don't have nor possess any direct knowledge of their timelines.

It's honestly childish and what I expect from clueless observers not into subjects automotive related, who wouldn't understand how many years it takes for automobiles to be planned, proposed and developed. I never comment on such matters, unless I have the facts.

I remember people on here accusing the Q50 in January 2013 of copying Hyundai!

For the past decade I have paid a keen eye to all of this and product planning industry wide, where this is one thing I have gotten sick of. Making short-sighted claims against who copied/influenced who or the narrative behind a vehicle's development, when coincidences happen or there was another source of inspiration instead. Land Rover has been the target, particularly the Velar and L494 RR Sport on the exterior. Genesis was really not around during core development of the design nor the U611 Aviator.

Design work on this level is not ongoing until the very end. Things have to be finalized years in advance to order and build tooling, not to mention prototypes for internal use on proving grounds. Just because you just saw a prototype running now, doesn't negate earlier trials hidden from the public.

Infiniti (Nissan) has some of the highest lead times, due to their insecurities regarding past quality. Some new vehicles were finished with the FINAL DESIGN, 42 MONTHS before it hits the assembly line. The industry goal is supposed to 24 months before Job 1, let alone 3.5 years. That's MB numbers, as is the case with the new W223 S-Class, that completed the design process in December 2016 and barely goes on sale in several months. Designers and engineers often design a new exterior, 5 to 6+ years in advance of release, only reaching final form roughly 3+/- years before launch.

A friend of mine was already working on finishing these D Platform crossovers up, as a young engineer (age 23 going on 24) at NTC Ann Arbor in January 2016, when final designs were to be chosen for MY 2019 redesigns for the Pathfinder and QX60. Design freeze was set for July 2016, ahead of December 2018 Job 1 for Q1 2019 launch. His assignment was to refine the chosen design proposals into feasible designs for the assembly line and help finalize dimensions from week 1 of January 2016 to July 2016. Cubing is what we generally call it. At Ford and JLR we've called it FDJ, when freeze is complete.

These P42R and P42Q programs fell behind and into serious limbo. Development of these vehicles began in 2014 originally.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 10-05-20 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-05-20, 10:06 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

I sense far more Aviator influence in the interior than Genesis or BMW. It looks like Infiniti stylistically benchmarked the Aviator inside-out. Even though the mock-ups in this thread were created after the car had been finalized, it's clear that Infiniti had the Aviator in mind when they designed this.

However, if what Carmaker1 says is correct, then the only conclusion I can come to is that it's not so much directly inspired by the Aviator as it is a Range Rover, which also inspired the Aviator. Parallel evolution etc.

Yep. It's Land Rover that was the target, especially Velar. The newest Rogue was already finalized over 3 years ago. These new midsizers were pretty much ironed out in 2016-17, with absolute final touches done 2 years ago.

It's all coincidental, when they're all going for the same look. U611 Aviator had been designed up until 2016, but looking at the RR Sport and full size Range Rover as inspiration mostly. Not to mention, borrowing heavily from the larger BOF U554 Navigator, a design internally completed in 2014 and launched in late 2017.

Perfect comment (from you), as all/some of the studios will zero in on the same external target at times and churn out similar looking copies of that very target, ie Range Rover line up.

In the early 1990s, the dawn of the long in gestation W140 S-Class, finally released to Europe in mid 1991 and USA in October 1991 as a 1992MY, eventually reached Asia and all primary RHD markets by early 1992.

It spawned a dozen imitators by the mid-1990s. Nissan abandoned the unconventional look they had chosen for original Infiniti Q45 and its facelift '94 version (due in April 1993), for the W140 rip-off. By 1991, they had already revised the Q45 to be more Jaguaresque for 1994, but then shifted to MB in seeing how well received W140 was. They made their final choice on the 1997 Q45 in the summer of 1993.

In parallel, Acura abandoned the cleverly styled amalgamation of premium Honda and Deutschland's best in a pseudo RWD aesthetic (longit. FWD), that borrowed from BMW E32 7-Series (1986) and E34 5-Series (had just been revealed in December 1987 as 1991 Legend [KA7] final design was being set).

As Hondacura worked on the KA9 chassis code Acura flagship, they copied Lexus' playbook, by copying MB's latest and greatest, the W140 S-Class and not the LS 400 itself nor its RWD layout. That KA9 car was renamed during development to alpha# and became the 3.5RL for MY 1996.5 launch.

Asia just loved the W140 S-Class, particularly even the Chinese Triads and Japanese Yakuza, that many copycats in JDM market vehicles surfaced, after designers were able to review the new MB's styling in 1991-92 with full confirmation and then act accordingly for 1994-97 intros. Give them 1-2 years to design their own, then 2-3 years from design freeze, and by the mid-90s all those cars were replicas of the W140's styling.

Heck, even Lexus borrowed some stuff for the 1995 LS and capitalized on it further for the facelift LS 400 due in 1997, and even worse for the LS 430 due in 2000. MB called them out in 2000.

Prior to that, the similar looking, but smaller and in production since late 1984 W124 E-Class, never warranted as much attention as the big and bold W140 juggernaut. Germans, Scandinavians, and Western Europe hated the imposing W140, but the Americas, developing world, Asia, and former Soviet Bloc adored it. Koreans loved it too and some KDM cars of mid-late 90s showed it.

That right there is an example, of how automotive trends come about, outside of legalization forced changes. One company introduces a design or cue that is well respected and admired, in which everyone else moves to copy it or do their own rendition.

It takes YEARS though to get their own rendition out, especially at this level. A Tata Nano or glorified golf cart is easier to slap together and copy another design in 18 months, not a 7-seater crossover that needs to be thoroughly vetted and tested.

Saying the QX60 copied the RWD Aviator, is like saying the RWD 1997 Infiniti Q45 copied the FWD 1996 Acura 3.5RL. Neither was focused on the other, as the Aviator hadn't shown itself yet as a prestigious and desirable vehicle, compared to anything RR yet, which was the target, as was MB S-Class in the early-mid 90s for big Japanese luxury sedans.

I could illustrate what I'm saying, but it would become photo overload.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 10-05-20 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 06:25 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

My only contribution to what carmaker is saying is that I can confirm that new vehicle designs do get locked in very well in advance.