Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Reveals QX60 Monograph Concept

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 11:43 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Infiniti Reveals QX60 Monograph Concept

Previewing Next-Gen SUV

The production version of the QX60, set to be released next year, won’t deviate much from the sleek QX60 Monograph shown today.

The second-generation Infiniti QX60 is on the way, but before the production version comes into view, the Japanese automaker is showing off the QX60 Monograph, a near-production concept of the three-row SUV. And although Infiniti isn’t showing us the interior quite yet, the QX60 Monograph is signaling that the 2021 QX60 will take on a sleek design which rethinks this SUV.

The grille of the concept maintains the trapezoidal shape seen across the lineup and adopts chrome styling to make the grille more pronounced. Similar to other luxury vehicles on the market, the grille also gets a bit bigger, at least from what the photos suggest. The headlights become narrower and significantly more aggressive-looking, and the daytime running lights meet the grille at the top edges on each side of the car, as on the 2020 QX60. The lower intakes are also similar, but the concept drops the lower lights.

Beyond subtle lines on the hood and the rear corners, the QX60 Monograph is covered in sheer surfaces devoid of many lines, giving the SUV a clean, futuristic look. Retracting door handles blend into the smooth surface, similar to the taillights, which lie flush with the body. Most notably, the QX60 Monograph drops the kinked window line on the D-pillar, which had been a design staple in Infiniti SUVs. With that, the concept adopts a floating roofline to make this SUV dramatic and eye-catching.

The concept's proportions lend it a more trucklike feel than the outgoing model as well. The windshield line is pushed back, making the now square hood appear bigger. The hood is also less sloped downward at the grille, giving it a more stately and imposing position. Yet, for all of the changes the QX60 Monograph sees from the previous generation, its appearance doesn’t deviate much from the growing field of SUVs. Notice how closely it resembles competitors such as the Lincoln Aviator and the Range Rover Velar.

The current-gen QX60 is powered by a 295-hp V-6, paired with a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT), but we speculate that its powerplant and transmission will change for 2021. It's possible that the company's variable-compression turbocharged four-cylinder or the 400-hp twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6 from the Q50 Red Sport could make their way into the 2021 QX60. Whatever the new engine is, we also expect it to be mated to a seven- or eight-speed automatic transmission.

Infiniti hasn’t released pricing yet for the 2021 QX60, but we anticipate it to start around $45,000 and top out above $55,000. It will both be revealed and go on sale during 2021.
Source
Old 09-25-20, 10:13 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Did I read that right? A four cylinder engine being slated for use for this huge and expensive vehicle?
Old 09-25-20, 10:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't expect Infiniti to exist until next year. The current QX60 was utter garbage to begin with, and it has been unchanged for nearly a decade since it went into production.
Old 09-26-20, 12:56 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't expect Infiniti to exist until next year. The current QX60 was utter garbage to begin with, and it has been unchanged for nearly a decade since it went into production.
It's so old! Hope the new QX60 doesn't ruin 3rd row space, which it actually had a decent 3rd row for the given foot print, and is no doubt why many buyers still go with it.

Old 09-26-20, 12:58 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
Did I read that right? A four cylinder engine being slated for use for this huge and expensive vehicle?
See Q7, XC90, CX-9, Ascent, VW Atlas, of course some aren't as expensive as QX60, point being, turbo 4's have replaced V6s in many many applications, mainstream and luxury.
Old 09-26-20, 12:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

I actually quite like the outgoing QX60. Great third row space in that vehicle. I considered it several times, the CVT is what has kept me out of it. The refresh that came out a couple years ago made it a lot better looking.

This concept is sharp.
Old 09-26-20, 02:05 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I thought it looked a lot like the Lincoln Aviator, imagine my surprise when it was actually designed by the same person who designed the Aviator.

Given their current platforms and powertrains and dire financial situation, I have zero expectation that Infiniti will make this a compelling offering.
Old 09-26-20, 02:58 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's so old! Hope the new QX60 doesn't ruin 3rd row space, which it actually had a decent 3rd row for the given foot print, and is no doubt why many buyers still go with it.
The 3rd row, and their highly subsidized leases make this a no brainer if you want a premium feeling SUV. The big problem for the QX60 personally was the Nissan CVT....wouldnt want that anywhere near me in a vehicle due to refinement issues, but most importantly how terrible those things are reliability wise....

The new one looks great, and i hope they update that interior to the 21st century.
Old 09-26-20, 03:04 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Not counting the powertrain, I actually like the styling of this a lot. Maybe it’s because the design is sort of plain and not overstyled or have an overstyled grille like a lot of cars have these days.
Old 09-26-20, 03:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Massive improvement. I hated the outgoing model.
Old 09-26-20, 05:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I actually quite like the outgoing QX60. Great third row space in that vehicle. I considered it several times, the CVT is what has kept me out of it. The refresh that came out a couple years ago made it a lot better looking.

This concept is sharp.
A bunch of Uber drivers in NYC use the Q60, and I absolutely loathe it. Since this thing is set up with third row, its second row seat is compromised - it is very flat, doesn't recline much, and very uncomfortable. I also often used to use Uber Black for airport trips before the pandemic started, and for whatever reason the Q60 qualified for Uber Black, so I would cancel if a Q60 was coming, and re-request until I got a YukoTahoLade or a nice sedan.
Old 09-28-20, 07:51 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I thought it looked a lot like the Lincoln Aviator, imagine my surprise when it was actually designed by the same person who designed the Aviator.

Given their current platforms and powertrains and dire financial situation, I have zero expectation that Infiniti will make this a compelling offering.
That's not accurate in the least. Woodhouse has barely been there a year, effective July 1, 2019. This is just a stylized teaser which builds on the production design, but isn't it 100%. It's 90% close.

I saw the next QX60 privately well before he joined Nissan. It was NOT designed under his direction. Cars are not designed in 5 minutes of course, especially Infinitis nowadays. This program has been running behind and in limbo.

I am always emphasizing the aspect of lead time for design approval to launch being more than 2 years gap, but tone deaf journalists will make their misleading narratives regarding concepts or irrelevant coincidental similarities to competition, plus public falling for it.

Lincoln's Aviator Concept debuted in 2018, after design freeze for this program, so it's not an influence. I am getting annoyed with the media already regarding the opinion-based Aviator connection, as they might look similar, but Aviator appeared after work was completed on this a few years ago.
Old 09-28-20, 08:05 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
That's not accurate in the least. Woodhouse has barely been there a year, effective July 1, 2019. This is just a stylized teaser which builds on the production design, but isn't it 100%. It's 90% close.

I saw the next QX60 privately well before he joined Nissan. It was NOT designed under his direction. Cars are not designed in 5 minutes of course, especially Infinitis nowadays. This program has been running behind and in limbo.
Thanks for the clarification. So was this "teaser" designed before or after the completed production model? If it's the latter, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that Aviator designer penned it.
Old 09-28-20, 08:28 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

this looks good, and pretty much production ready with a few tweaks.
Old 09-28-20, 08:42 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the way it looks, minus the wheel style and the chrome exhaust treatment.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Reveals QX60 Monograph Concept