Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus partially-releases 2021 NX information.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 12:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Lexus partially-releases 2021 NX information.

I don't think this is a repost....I checked both Car Chat and the NX-specific forum, and didn't see it.

I decided start a new Car Chat thread on this subject, because my recent full-review of the 2021 Toyota Venza, and my comments about it stating that (IMO) it is what the 1Gen NX should have been several years ago, generated a number of response-comments about the 1Gen not being able to do so, because the Venza is an all-new platform. Fair enough....but I still think that the Lexus designers could have done a better job on the first NX. But, anyhow, that's probably water over the dam now, since an all-new NX is not only coming in a few months, but Lexus has now released some info, pricing, and the Build-Your-Own feature for it on the web site. Whether the new NX exceeds the competence of the new Venza or not, of course, only time (and reviews) will tell. I was, however, impressed enough with the Venza that, as far as I'm concerned, the new NX will have some good-sized shoes to fill. (yes....just like my own big size-15s.....just kidding).

Anyhow, for those possibly interested in the new NX (and I'm sure there will be plenty of those on a Lexus forum, even in Car Chat)...here you are. Enjoy.

https://www.lexus.com/build-your-lex...year/2021/trim
Old 09-30-20, 12:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think this is a repost....I checked both Car Chat and the NX-specific forum, and didn't see it.

I decided start a new Car Chat thread on this subject, because my recent full-review of the 2021 Toyota Venza, and my comments about it stating that (IMO) it is what the 1Gen NX should have been several years ago, generated a number of response-comments about the 1Gen not being able to do so, because the Venza is an all-new platform. Fair enough....but I still think that the Lexus designers could have done a better job on the first NX. But, anyhow, that's probably water over the dam now, since an all-new NX is not only coming in a few months, but Lexus has now released some info, pricing, and the Build-Your-Own feature for it on the web site. Whether the new NX exceeds the competence of the new Venza or not, of course, only time (and reviews) will tell. I was, however, impressed enough with the Venza that, as far as I'm concerned, the new NX will have some good-sized shoes to fill. (yes....just like my own big size-15s.....just kidding).

Anyhow, for those possibly interested in the new NX (and I'm sure there will be plenty of those on a Lexus forum, even in Car Chat)...here you are. Enjoy.

https://www.lexus.com/build-your-lex...year/2021/trim
2021 is the same as current. MY2022 will be the fully redesigned 2nd generation, coming out late summer or early fall next year. The build-your-own you posted is nothing new, more of the same.
Old 09-30-20, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
2021 is the same as current. MY2022 will be the fully redesigned 2nd generation, coming out late summer or early fall next year. The build-your-own you posted is nothing new, more of the same.

OK....sorry if I wasted a thread. the 2021 looked somewhat different to me at first....and I thought, at first (apparently not), that we'd see the all-new design for 2021.

Still, the 2021 info is now there if anyone is waiting for it.
Old 09-30-20, 12:43 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK....sorry if I wasted a thread. the 2021 looked somewhat different to me at first....and I thought, at first (apparently not), that we'd see the all-new design for 2021.

Still, the 2021 info is now there if anyone is waiting for it.
Not wasted, just wanted to get the facts straight
Old 09-30-20, 01:40 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

I wonder if Siemens is happy with Lexus using the NX model designation. I don’t think Toyota even uses Unigraphics in designing vehicles. I know Mercedes and GM do, but don’t think Toyota does.
Old 09-30-20, 02:21 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You had me excited there for a moment mmarshall lol but then I was like how could this be since there was no debut lol. I can see why you anticipated a new generation as usual Lexus is slow to update their cars. This thing should have been resigned already considering how well it sells. Next year will be late, hopefully the GV70 takes some of those potential customers since current NX is old and lags behind even the RDX. It's currently the least impressive vehicle in the class it competes.
Old 09-30-20, 02:29 PM
Hoovey689

NX came out in 2014 as a MY15. 2021 release of MY2022 would be 7 years, pretty typical of a Lexus redesign IMO
Old 09-30-20, 02:51 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
I wonder if Siemens is happy with Lexus using the NX model designation. I don’t think Toyota even uses Unigraphics in designing vehicles. I know Mercedes and GM do, but don’t think Toyota does.
I'm pretty sure Siemens wants to get rid of it they just don't have a buyer for it.
Old 09-30-20, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EXE46
You had me excited there for a moment mmarshall lol but then I was like how could this be since there was no debut lol.
Yes, sorry about that......an honest mistake on my part, as Hoovey pointed out.

I can see why you anticipated a new generation as usual Lexus is slow to update their cars. This thing should have been resigned already considering how well it sells.
Perhaps the needed funds for that were not available until now. Don't forget, during the past few years, Lexus has redesigned the LS, ES, is doing a major face-lift on the IS, and introduced an all-new UX. Can't do everything at once...particularly when the pandemic made things even worse by incapacitating some workers and lowering sales. Also, as Hoovey correctly pointed out, Typical Lexus redesigns are 6-7 years.

Next year will be late, hopefully the GV70 takes some of those potential customers since current NX is old and lags behind even the RDX. It's currently the least impressive vehicle in the class it competes.
Given what I have seen with Genesis products so far, the GV70 should be worth waiting for.
Old 09-30-20, 05:41 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I'm pretty sure Siemens wants to get rid of it they just don't have a buyer for it.
I had no idea. Think Autodesk can cough up the cash? Lol
Old 09-30-20, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Nothing to see here. Closed.