Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Autopilot is mediocre; Mercedes comes out on top

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20 | 07:59 AM
Hoovey689

Default Tesla Autopilot is mediocre; Mercedes comes out on top

Which drags its overall score down to mediocre; Mercedes comes out on top

Tesla Inc's Autopilot has ranked sixth in 10 driver assistance systems evaluated in a European safety assessment, scoring low on its ability to keep drivers engaged.

The Tesla Model 3's Autopilot scored just 36 when assessed on its ability to maintain a driver's focus on the road. But it gained the highest marks for performance and ability to respond to emergencies, receiving an overall score of 131 and a rating of "moderate."

In contrast, the Mercedes GLE's system, which had the highest overall score of 174 and received the top rating of "very good," received a score of 85 for driver engagement. Most other vehicles had scores of 70 or above for driver engagement.

The European New Car Assessment Program (NCAP), which worked with UK insurance group Thatcham Research, called the assessments the first consumer ratings specifically focused on driver assistance systems — technology that automates some tasks, including acceleration, braking and steering support.

Safety and insurance researchers have frequently warned of the risks of consumers overestimating the systems' abilities, a misconception increased by some automakers calling their products Autopilot, ProPilot or CoPilot.

Tesla's Autopilot has been criticized by the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board for allowing drivers to turn their attention from the road and U.S. regulators have investigated 15 crashes since 2016 involving Tesla vehicles equipped with Autopilot.

"Unfortunately, there are motorists that believe they can purchase a self-driving car today. This is a dangerous misconception that sees too much control handed to vehicles that are not ready to cope with all situations," said Matthew Avery, a Euro NCAP board member and research director at Thatcham Research.

In addition to the Mercedes GLE, the BMW 3-Series and the Audi Q8, received the highest rating of "very good" while two models, the Renault Clio and the Peugeot received the lowest rating of "entry."
Source
Old 10-01-20 | 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps Mercedes having the top score is not surprising. Mercedes and Volvo have usually led the auto industry in the adoption of safety-features.

Three-pointed-star or not, however, I'm still not completely sold on autopilots. There's still no complete substitute for two eyes, a brain, hands on (or close to) the wheel, and, of course, sobriety.
Old 10-01-20 | 09:00 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

The Tesla Model 3's Autopilot scored just 36 when assessed on its ability to maintain a driver's focus on the road.
What does this mean? It doesn't harass the driver enough to touch the wheel?
But it gained the highest marks for performance and ability to respond to emergencies
Sounds good to me.
Old 10-01-20 | 09:17 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
That's pretty dang important, given the public's inability to understand/appreciate the dangers involved with inattentive driving. Tesla definitely needs to do more with regard to ensuring drivers are attentive, either with facial/eye detection, steering wheel input either capacitive touch on the wheel or the cheaper input torque based analysis.

It's great that the Tesla systems works effectively when it's working, but it gives people a false sense of confidence, and that's when attention starts to lapse, and the big incidents occur.

According to NCAP, however, the problems lie within a category called “driver engagement.” Testers said that the marketing materials don’t line up with the vehicle manual and could lead drivers to believe that the Model 3 does more than just driver assistance.
“Many aspects of the Model 3 are exemplary; its vehicle assistance is the best we saw in testing and it also aced the safety back up element,” wrote Thatcham Research, an independent group that carried out the trials. “However, it achieves a 'moderate' rating for poor driver engagement, with a design philosophy that is very much about the vehicle doing the driving. That would be appropriate for an automated vehicle — but this [testing is for] vehicle assistance.”

From : https://www.engadget.com/tesla-model...110719633.html
Old 10-01-20 | 09:20 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Not the first to do this, and won't be the last. This should be unacceptable for a vehicle to operate in this manner unless it is explicitly an autonomous vehicle with specific license to operate as such, which no retailed Tesla qualifies for.

View this post on Instagram
Old 10-01-20 | 09:44 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pbm317
Not the first to do this, and won't be the last. This should be unacceptable for a vehicle to operate in this manner unless it is explicitly an autonomous vehicle with specific license to operate as such, which no retailed Tesla qualifies for.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFpI-YbB..._web_copy_link

They will do anything to get those IG likes.
Old 10-01-20 | 09:46 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

The thread title sounds like it was cut and pasted from the middle of a sentence buried in a paragraph

edit: thread title got changed to something coherent since I posted this message

Last edited by sdls; 10-01-20 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-01-20 | 09:46 AM
timmy0tool

european drivers differ from US drivers in their driving disciplines, and i tend to side with the way european drivers abide by the law. of course the laws and regulations differ in each country altogether, so the assessment can only be compared to an extent.

for instance the comparison model Merc's and BMW's and Audi's tech may not even be available stateside. and the comparison didn't compare cadillac's super cruise which may only be available in the US (not sure) and can be quite a contender.
Old 10-01-20 | 10:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
probably so. and numerous videos i've watched of teslas not keeping lanes, thinking shoulders are lanes and driving into them, braking like mad with NOTHING around the vehicle, etc. one of the many reasons i don't want a tesla right now. my car may be dumb, but it has made ZERO misjudgments in lane keeping, adaptive cruise, etc. since i got it. it also bugs me at about 30 seconds to put hands back on the wheel, and it even monitors my driving 'behavior' and puts a message "maybe you should stop and take a break" or something like that, with a hot coffee cup icon.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Three-pointed-star or not, however, I'm still not completely sold on autopilots.
i loathe the term 'autopilot' and believe regulators should have blocked tesla from continuing to use such a misleading and dangerous name.

also, since it's a euro study it doesn't include cadillac's super cruise which has been widely praised.

Originally Posted by pbm317
omg, how is this person doing this? why isn't the tesla disengaging without anyone touching the wheel, let alone having someone in the seat?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-01-20 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-01-20 | 10:06 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I think people once thought Autopilot was invincible but most don't think that now. Too many stories of them hitting trucks and dying. In the assessment, the tech was the best per the article. When it works, Autopilot is scary good...will drive you flawlessly 99% of the time. Thats where the false sense of security comes from. I only use it in traffic going slow. If its an open road, i'm flying so have to be aware to see cops
Old 10-01-20 | 10:26 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i loathe the term 'autopilot' and believe regulators should have blocked tesla from continuing to use such a misleading and dangerous name.
Not this again. Autopilot is associated with aircraft, right? In that system it is explicitly stated it does not replace the human pilot they must be ready to take control at any time. The problem is people's misconception of what autopilot is. You could make a good argument Tesla should have chosen a different name because people are stupid, but the name is in fact accurate.

From wikipedia
Autopilot does not replace human operators. Instead, autopilot assists the operator's control of the vehicle, allowing the operator to focus on broader aspects of operations (for example, monitoring the trajectory, weather and on-board systems).[1]
Old 10-01-20 | 10:58 AM
RXSF

^^ At least for me, the term auto pilot does not immediately bring aircraft to mind. I think the problem is not the term itself, but the use of "Auto". Every other carmaker uses some kind of "assistance" language which is more appropriate. However, I was recently in a Model y and the auto pilot blows my Mercedes system out of the water. It truly is a far superior system, whether or not it warns drivers enough times to put hands on wheel.
Old 10-01-20 | 11:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Cadillac SuperCruise is the best naming
Old 10-01-20 | 12:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
european drivers differ from US drivers in their driving disciplines, and i tend to side with the way european drivers abide by the law.
One must also take into account that, in Europe, they actually enforce traffic laws. (Well, OK, Rome, at rush hour, may be an exception LOL)

Here, in the U.S., enforcement is sporadic or mixed at best. Just take cell phones, for instances. I'd say (roughly) that, based on my observations, at any given moment, 3 out of every 5 drivers are driving with one hand and using a cell phone with another. No one actually believes they will have an accident using one.....until it happens.
Old 10-01-20 | 06:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Yes I'm pretty sure SuperCruise is actually the best, at least based on (legit) reviews I've read and seen. You can't trick it and it works well.

That person doing that in the Tesla should be thrown in jail for felony reckless endangerment, and an example made out of him.

Quick Reply: Tesla Autopilot is mediocre; Mercedes comes out on top