Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I've given up on trying to figure this one out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 10:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Question I've given up on trying to figure this one out.

In the auto world, I rarely come across something that is so difficult to figure out that it completely perplexes me, but this is clearly one of those few times.

Most of you know that, despite the questionable three-banger turbo power plants, I was smitten enough with the rest of Buick Encore GX and its excellent value for the money to order one (a 2021 instead of a 2020, which, given GM's often-troublesome first-year records, seems like a safer bet).

In the U.S., it is marketed on the same platform (crossover VSS-F) as the Chevy Trailblazer, despite the Trailblazer having a couple-inch longer wheelbase, built at the Bpuyeong, Korea plant. Chinese-market versions of these vehicles are built in China, with even smaller powerplants.

But, then, you have the Chevy Tracker, sold overseas but not in the U.S., which, visually, appears to be the same platform and body-shell (but a different interior) as the American-spec Trailblazer, but, according to Wikipedia, is a different GM crossover (GEM) platform. The smaller, dated, (non-GX) Buick Encore, still sold in the U.S. as the Encore and Chevy Trax, continues for 2020 in the U.S., but is being replaced overseas on a different platform, which will not come here. The U.S.-spec Trailblazer and Encore GX will also be sold in China. You have the Chevy/Holden Captiva/Opel Antara/Daewoo Winstorm, all done on the Theta platform (which appears to be related to the other small crossover platforms) and built in the same Korean plant as the Encore GX (not the Encore) and Trailblazer. Then, on top of all of this, you, have two closely-related Suzuki products, Escudo and Vitara, which are now sold on what appears to be a comparable crossover platform, but not imported to the U.S. (past versions of these products were body-in-frame and off-road-capable, but not today).

Confused? Welcome to the club......so am I. If any of you can figure it out that organization-mess (Hoovey and Carmaker1 are probably the two candidates most likely to), more power to you.

Still like the Encore GX, though, and I don't think I will regret my decision, unless it proves to be a lemon. And, if we can get suitable electric-rechargers in my condo development, it might (?) be my last gas-engine vehicle.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-01-20 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-02-20, 05:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just because things look "similar" on the outside do not make them the same.

The overseas Tracker doesn't looks much like our Trailblazer at all in my opinion:

Tracker:

US Trailblazer: Completely different body shell.... so not sure what you're seeing.

Different markets have very different needs, standards, willingness to pay, and on and on and on. So as much as companies push for "global products" that simply isn't the case for many OEMs, especially at the lower end/entry portion of each respective market.
Old 10-02-20, 07:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Just because things look "similar" on the outside do not make them the same.

The overseas Tracker doesn't looks much like our Trailblazer at all in my opinion:

Tracker:

US Trailblazer: Completely different body shell.... so not sure what you're seeing.

Different markets have very different needs, standards, willingness to pay, and on and on and on. So as much as companies push for "global products" that simply isn't the case for many OEMs, especially at the lower end/entry portion of each respective market.

The two looked very similar, about the same size, and IMO it was difficult to tell if they came from the same roots or not.....although, by admission, I'm not the expert here. GM also has many other variants of this and similar of course, under the Chevy, Holden, Suzuki, Opel/Vauxhall, and Buick nameplates. Other automakers, of course, also share platforms and nameplates, but (seemingly) not to this same level of complexity.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-02-20 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-02-20, 10:48 AM
timmy0tool

Received 427 Likes on 381 Posts

so many variables here when you compare different markets. as you've alluded to some markets use older platforms where the US doesn't necessarily get the latest and greatest (or that platform altogether).
Old 10-02-20, 06:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Confused? Welcome to the club......so am I. If any of you can figure it out that organization-mess (Hoovey and Carmaker1 are probably the two candidates most likely to), more power to you.

Still like the Encore GX, though, and I don't think I will regret my decision, unless it proves to be a lemon. And, if we can get suitable electric-rechargers in my condo development, it might (?) be my last gas-engine vehicle.

MM
You will have to let us know how it is with a 3 cylinder turbo coming from a V6 that had been advocated for in the past. Hood props aren’t so bad by the way....

Its sharp looking the vehicle you got...did you get LED headlights.?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-02-20 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-02-20, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You will have to let us know how it is with a 3 cylinder turbo coming from a V6 that had been advocated for in the past.
For cruise and highway driving, very little difference. There is, of course, noticeably more vibration with the 1.3L three at idle and low-speeds, where most of its available torque is (max 174 ft-lbs. at only 1600 RPM). In some ways, though, I think I will actually prefer the turbo three for most daily-driving. For one, it comes with a dedicated button that lets you decide whether you want the idle shut-off or not....the Lacrosse V6 did not, and you had to finagle your way around the cutoff by one of a number of different means. The V6 also idles so smoothly and quietly that it is difficult to tell inside the car whether it is running or not.....I actually got out and inadvertently left left it running one day, and went inside. You have to hit the shut-off button just so, or else it presses in a manner that doesn't actually shut the engine down....only certain things. (I've learned to watch for the electronic/analog tach to go blank to confirm shutdown). The three idles with just enough vibration that you're not likely to inadvertently do that.

The Encore GX's 1.3L three also has an AWD system (which I ordered) that does what I wish Subaru would do with their vehicles...and still hasn't. It offers a button that disconnects the AWD system, and runs only on the front wheels most of the time, when the AWD is not needed. The Lacrosse offered AWD, but without a disconnect button. Disconnecing the AWD when not ended, of course, lessens the drag on the engine and helps with acceleration and fuel economy.

A number of these, and other things, sold me on the Encore GX, also because of the amazing number of features it gives you for only 25-35K. On the Essence trim level, you even get a button that lets you choose between a standard rear-view mirror and a wide-angle camera that lets you scan a wide area behind the vehicle, even if you have the cargo area cluttered up with a lot of junk (or tall people in back) that won't let you physically see out the rear window with the mirror. It also has a 360-degree-surround-view camera....something which my Select-level version and its Tech-package will have....in addition to blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, lane-change warning, obstacle-detection/automatic braking, and many other features that are either standard or package-available. The Chevy Trailblazer can also be equipped like that...at an even lower price (one reason why dealers can't keep them in stock)....but the Buick, IMO, has better looks, better insulation, and a better interior. The Trailblazer is too sport-oriented for my tastes.

I'm not naive, though.....I know there will likely be things in ownership I don't care for (see just below, for one of them). You can rest-assured I will report both Plusses and Minuses when I get it, just like I do in my regular reviews. Still looking at a December delivery.

Hood props aren’t so bad by the way....
I still prefer struts or springs to hold up the hood...but a manual-prop is not a deal-breaker (I had a prop-rod in both the Verano and Outback) At least, not as much as the shifter in the new 2021 Envision (or its Chinese-assembly) probably would have been.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-02-20 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-02-20, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
so many variables here when you compare different markets. as you've alluded to some markets use older platforms where the US doesn't necessarily get the latest and greatest (or that platform altogether).
Exactly...this is one of the most complex family of platforms/nameplates/rebadgings/derivitives I have ever seen, and I've been reviewing vehicles since the 1960s.
Old 10-03-20, 05:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

is not a deal-breaker (I had a prop-rod in both the Verano and Outback).
Did you get LED headlights?
Old 10-03-20, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Did you get LED headlights?

The Select Trim level (which I have) comes with LED daytime running lights (which I use most of the time) and Halogen full-headlights. The Essence Trim level comes with LEDs for both. I didn't feel I needed full-LEDs.

Virginia is one of those states that requires lights-on in wet or reduced-visibility conditions....so it's probably a good idea to have DRLs that cover you 100% of the time, though it obviously wears out the bulbs quicker.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-20 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-03-20, 07:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I know you're a very practical person, and didn't "need" LED headlights, but i figure since you're comfortably retired that you might choose to live a little and pay the extra to get the Essence trim. Can't take it $$$ with you.
Old 10-03-20, 08:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I know you're a very practical person, and didn't "need" LED headlights, but i figure since you're comfortably retired that you might choose to live a little and pay the extra to get the Essence trim. Can't take it $$$ with you.
The Essence trim comes with leather seating. I generally prefer cloth (cooler in summer, warmer in winter)...although both the Select and Essence come with heated seats (cooled seats not available on any trim level). I did spend a little more to get the larger engine (if larger actually means anything in this case LOL), the 9-speed 9T40 transmission (basically the same one ad the 9T50 in my Lacrosse, except perhaps slightly lighter-duty) and the selectable FWD/AWD system. (we haven't gotten a lot of snow around here for the last few years, but it's nice to have AWD as insurance, as this is still not Florida) . A first-year CVT from GM scares me (which comes with the FWD models), although the 9-speed has not been totally without issues.

One thing that is available on the Essence I'd like, and not on the Select, is the wide-angle-camera rear-view mirror....but, again, I usually don't have tall people or bulky cargo in the rear seat blocking the view out the rear, and the standard blind-spot monitors help take care of at least part of that.

And, overall, I'm not complaining. I'm getting a lot of things I didn't have in the Lacrosse....and for about 7-8K less....maybe more, with discounts. And this may (?) also be my last gas-powered vehicle, depending on if we can get rechargers in my condo development, although a few of them (Tesla-grade) are right down the street at the new Wawa's store, and also at one of the local shopping-centers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-20 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-03-20, 09:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The Select Trim level (which I have) comes with LED daytime running lights (which I use most of the time) and Halogen full-headlights. The Essence Trim level comes with LEDs for both. I didn't feel I needed full-LEDs.
What Toyota does so well is that they pretty much are standard LED across the line up and trim levels....none of this Mickey Mouse el-cheap o upgrade stuff....all new to market cars should be full LED.
Old 10-03-20, 09:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What Toyota does so well is that they pretty much are standard LED across the line up and trim levels....none of this Mickey Mouse el-cheap o upgrade stuff....all new to market cars should be full LED.

Well, we've been through this discussion before....in other Car Chat threads. You and I just have a different view on what is needed. I simply don't consider Halogens to be Mickey-Mouse. However, I DO consider the old sealed-beam incandescents (before the halogens came out in the 1980s) to be Mickey-Mouse.

Besides, you'll be getting what you want on your new 4Runner.

And, speaking of that, here are the Manuals/Reference-Guides for the 2021 4Runner, if you want to download, save them in your Favorites list, and consult them to help you get used to the vehicle before you actually get it. I've already done that for the Encore GX.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resour...s/4runner/2021

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-20 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-03-20, 10:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

This is a good move on their part. More than just aesthetics the updated lights are a major safety upgrade. Especially important as we get older.
Old 10-03-20, 05:17 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took Toyota so long to put LEDs in the 4Runner. Now the 2021 4Runner is 'perfect', since it did get Carplay/Android Auto for 2020.

Quick Reply: I've given up on trying to figure this one out.