Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Jaguar XF Refresh: Goodbye 6-cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 06:22 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 295 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Get used to 0.2 litre 3-cylinder engines with 78 pounds of boost as auto makers scramble to meet emissions and efficiency standards.
A more realistic scenario would be something like the REx system in the BMW i3 driving a generator in low-mid battery capacity PHEV systems
that system had a two cylinder motor that made a racket when it was turned on lol
Old 10-06-20, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Love both interior and exterior though.

as for 2.0L turbo 4, let's face it, that's mainstream competitive these days.

i'm sure they'll have a type R.
Old 10-06-20, 09:29 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as for 2.0L turbo 4, let's face it, that's mainstream competitive these days.
It would absolutely slaughter the TLX 2.0T at least.
Old 10-06-20, 11:03 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Sad to see the Sportbrake discontinued - always bad to lose another wagon option, especially one that was performance-oriented. I actually considered it briefly, but hated that the V6 is actually based off an 8cyl block.

Jaguar has always felt rather irrelevant to me, and I suppose the move to 4cyl is just the nail in the coffin.

Old 10-07-20, 04:00 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

I am a fan. I like that the screen is not sticking above the dashboard and the interior looks clean.

My GS and NX are the first 4cyl cars I've owned (last car was a 575hp V8) and I like the engines very much.
Old 10-07-20, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS

My GS and NX are the first 4cyl cars I've owned (last car was a 575hp V8) and I like the engines very much.

An excellent point. Too many people think that, no, they can never live with smaller engines...and then, when they finally do get one, it's usually............"Hey, this isn't so bad".
Old 10-07-20, 12:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

the less cylinder engines are ok unless you rev them pretty high in which case the noise generally isn't pleasant.

the best 4 cylinder i've experienced is a mercedes benz e-class. it was pretty smooth and not too raucous at higher rpms, but that's probably more about noise insulation.
Old 10-07-20, 01:09 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
An excellent point. Too many people think that, no, they can never live with smaller engines...and then, when they finally do get one, it's usually............"Hey, this isn't so bad".
I haven't had that experience with any 4 cylinder lux car I have driven, felt they were all pretty lousy and a downgrade from the 6 cylinders, BMW's 4 cylinder is pretty quick but still nothing like the experience of their smooth silky Inline 6's. I miss the V8 from my GS430 and my V6 makes more power, gets better fuel economy, and is a little quicker but I still miss it, a 4 cyl GS would be a deal killer, the 4 cylinder in the GS200t is horrible.
Old 10-07-20, 03:20 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
"Living with" is a bad metric for an engine going into a $35k+ luxury car, especially some of which are branded sporty. I have only experienced the 8AR-FTS in the NX200t (in a loaner) and the turbo lag is just embarrassing for such mediocre power levels.

Jaguar's new turbo 4 will be a huge downgrade for anyone coming from the supercharged 6 in every category except fuel economy and emissions.

Last edited by gengar; 10-07-20 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

the less cylinder engines are ok unless you rev them pretty high in which case the noise generally isn't pleasant.

the best 4 cylinder i've experienced is a mercedes benz e-class. it was pretty smooth and not too raucous at higher rpms, but that's probably more about noise insulation.
Over time, like we did in the 1970s, one can also get used to less acceleration and speed, which means that they don't need to put as many RPMs on the engine. I like big smooth powerplants as much as anyone, but we are clearly dealing with long-term change.

You have criticized me, in the past, for not being willing to accept change. Well, smaller ICEs are something that all of us are going to have to accept, in one way or another.
Old 10-07-20, 04:31 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Yeah that's what I was expecting when I first test drove the Lexus 2.0t but it sounded great in the NX and better in the GS with a little more insulation. I think Lexus did an excellent job with their 2.0t. It's very smooth, has plenty of torque in the low rpms and it's even more fun with a tune.

Last edited by BMGS; 10-07-20 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 06:09 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, least we now know why the wagon was canned.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...rtbrake-sales/

Following news of the cancellation of the Jaguar XF Sportbrake, Jaguar has confirmed it sold fewer than 250 examples of the longroof XF in America since the vehicle's launch in 2017. That makes U.S-market XF Sportbrakes exceedingly rare, more so than most super- and hypercars.
Old 10-07-20, 09:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Jaguar's new turbo 4 will be a huge downgrade for anyone coming from the supercharged 6 in every category except fuel economy and emissions.
Exactly. Emissions and economy are what's driving it. That part is out of our control...it's government requirements.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-07-20 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Let’s leave politics out including comments about not posting about them
Old 10-07-20, 09:43 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
Well, least we now know why the wagon was canned.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...rtbrake-sales/
Only selling 250 makes for a great clickbait headline, but the context is important. Jaguar only sold 3,500 XF models in total in 2018 and 2019 (the XF Sportbrake was introduced to the US market in 2018 as MY2018), plus the Sportbrake was only available in the US with the S trim - who knows how few XF S sedans were actually sold. Even discounting the S trim issue, 250/3500 is still about a 7% take rate (the precise percentage of course depends on when the Sportbrake sales count ended and how many XF were sold this year).

But remember, Porsche USA only expected a take rate of about 5% for the Sport Turismo version of the Panamera (although it has wound up being higher).

Without knowing the actual statement that Jaguar made to R&T, it's hard to know whether Jaguar actually expected better sales or if the R&T reporting is just typical biased journalism (as is the moronic hyperbole exhibited later in the article in comparing US-only rarity to worldwide rarity).

Last edited by gengar; 10-07-20 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-08-20, 01:14 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

I find the 2.0t awful. Turbo lag, it sounds like a bunch of bees, and it's not very quick.

A 4cyl will never sound good, no matter what. To my ears at least.

Quick Reply: 2021 Jaguar XF Refresh: Goodbye 6-cylinder