Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Jaguar XF Refresh: Goodbye 6-cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 01:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
A 4cyl will never sound good, no matter what. To my ears at least.
They can sound okay, a good naturally aspirated 4-cylinder from the likes of Toyota and Honda sound nice. Notice I say nice not great for that you need a V6, V8 etc. or my personal favourite the I-6. I've never driven a V12.
Old 10-08-20, 01:24 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

RIP sports sedans.

basically only 5 and E are left.

A6 doesn't sell enough to be a competitor.

XF is one of the better looking sedans out there. the 4GS doesn't even come close.
Old 10-08-20, 01:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
They can sound okay, a good naturally aspirated 4-cylinder from the likes of Toyota and Honda sound nice. Notice I say nice not great for that you need a V6, V8 etc. or my personal favourite the I-6. I've never driven a V12.
I6's are very nice sound-wise, but nothing sounds as good as the purr or wail of a V8 IMO. My truck is hardly a drag racer but it sure sounds excellent, especially with the muffler delete. My friend had a GS-F he was flipping and the exhaust was gutless by comparison. He added an exhaust to that GS-F, though, and it changed wayyy for the better.
Old 10-08-20, 02:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You have criticized me, in the past, for not being willing to accept change. Well, smaller ICEs are something that all of us are going to have to accept, in one way or another.
fair point. but sooner than probably any of us expects, electric cars are going to make all ICE obsolete.

Old 10-08-20, 03:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
fair point. but sooner than probably any of us expects, electric cars are going to make all ICE obsolete.
Not for a very long time IMO.
Old 10-08-20, 04:55 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Well, least we now know why the wagon was canned.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...rtbrake-sales/
I'm one of the 250 people who bought one, didn't know it was that rare although I've only seen 1 other one on the road. I just happened to see a used one at a dealer in 2019 and thought it looked amazing, otherwise would've never known they existed, they were never really advertised.
The LX570 is pretty rare too, don't see many of them around so I guess I have 2 pretty unique vehicles.
I got the SportBrake New in June 2019 in CA after it had sat on a Jag dealers lot for 1.5 years, was 30% off of msrp. There are still some New 2018's at dealers around the country.

Last edited by LX5280; 10-08-20 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-08-20, 06:06 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

LMAO, what a disaster.

I worked on this X260 as my first major assignment many years ago and was one of the engineers that insisted on changes to the final interiors during mid-development in 2013. Being rather a novice, I was boldly ignored and threatened with overstepping, on the subject of £ per component. It was launched in late 2015, with mistakes intact.

7 years later, it's funny how many of the changes we suggested to upper management, were forced to be implemented and MANY still not even fully done justice.

Outside of the L550 Discovery Sport, I moved to the now dead X360 XJ program in 2014. which abruptly was halted and became X391 EV/ICE XJ (I left in upset).

That bloody X391 XJ has yet to even surface and now with COVID-19, it's a laugh on how it will even arrive timely. The Jaguar XJ has never been out of continous production since 1968, yet Tata let it slip beyond not even just a few months, but a 2+ year hiatus.

Jaguar's problem is not solely perceived reliability, but the public's expectation of what a Jaguar should be and also being on the cutting-edge. A richly appointed and high tech interior, with inspiring drive is what Jaguar needs to be at, cloaked in unique, tasteful, and non-cookie cutter body styling.

Callum never understood what worked well on Jaguar sedan bodies. The best selling XJ ever was this very generation sold from 1994/97 to 2003, a car my father owned proudly and not reluctantly.

His predecessor in Jaguar Design Director Geoff Lawson (1984 to 1999), who died abruptly in 1999 during development of the 2003 XJ and after the S-Type was released, might have been losing his touch (as seen with 2001 X Type and 2003 XJ), but there was a way to bring Jaguar's signature cues into the future, beyond the lazy work of Callum.

December 1997 Design Proposals Jaguar X350 XJ Program

X400 Jaguar X-Type (2000 prototype)

The non-sporty versions of X350 XJ sedans of the 2000s were too bulbous, cliche, and dowdy looking. X350 arrived too late in 2003, looking like the smaller Ford-derived compact X-Type launched above in 2001. Ian did his best to salvage that.

X350 Vanden Plas (XJ8)

Only XJR and flagship performance versions or sports packages cleaned things up (partly thanks to Ian).

X350 XJ LWB Supercharged V8

Pre-production XF 2007 (X250)

X250 XF Interior (2007 Pre-Prod.)

First XF (X250) was an okay attempt on the exterior for late 2000s, but top notch on the interior with good selection of powertrains. Ford gave it wings before selling off JLR.

X351 XJ (2009, pre-prod prototype)

2010-19 X351 XJ was a stupid ego-borne experiment by Callum, without fully trying to understand what luxury buyers were truly looking for from Jaguar going forward. A bigger XF wasn't it. It sold miserably and couldn't hold a candle to the supposed "retro XJs" in sales. Billions of £££ were lost.

Current generation XF (X260) was a joke on interior, thanks to Ratan Tata being a stingy **** who didn't understand that to conquest buyers from A6s/5s/Es, they have to like not just the drive, but the interior they look at every day. His middle names only seem to be Range Rover, as he compromised the Defender in favor of reducing any investment on a bespoke architecture

Last edited by Carmaker1; 10-08-20 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-08-20, 07:37 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
LMAO, what a disaster.
I worked on this X260 as my first major assignment many years ago and was one of the engineers that insisted on changes to the final interiors during mid-development in 2013. Being rather a novice, I was boldly ignored and threatened with overstepping, on the subject of £ per component. It was launched in late 2015, with mistakes intact.

Current generation XF (X260) was a joke on interior, thanks to Ratan Tata being a stingy **** who didn't understand that to conquest buyers from A6s/5s/Es, they have to like not just the drive, but the interior they look at every day. His middle names only seem to be Range Rover, as he compromised the Defender in favor of reducing any investment on a bespoke architecture
So I have to thank you for the interior of my X260. I think it looks great, everything I need and more, love the Pano roof too.

Old 10-09-20, 11:51 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Love the detailed Jag history @Carmaker1
Old 08-17-21, 04:58 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 08-17-21, 06:11 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sheesh! Just looking at that crappy iPhone video I can tell how materials actually feel and sound like. Like Volvo S60, it's the same game.

EDIT: That RR infotainment has way too much misleading shiny graphics that have no interaction and actual tap zones are all over the place and require pixel hunting. If you have such a big screen there iz 0 reason to paste huge animated wallpaper all over it and then put little shy buttons in like 1/8 of the whole vertical area.

Last edited by Vladi; 08-17-21 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-19-21, 06:51 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve owned a 2021 XF R Dynamic since April. I am very satisfied with both the car and price I paid for such a nice sports sedan. For just under 50k I think we got a lot of car. I think car manufacturers are in a challenging time transitioning from ice to electric, which is where Jaguar finds itself. The rear of the car shows no exhaust which could be interpreted that the model may be electric soon. I’ve been driving since the mid 60s so I have driven a lot of different power trains. From big classic American V 8s to both Euro and Japanese 4 bangers. Squeezing close to 300 hp out of this engine is a pretty good engineering feat. The car handles like a dream, well planted in the twistys and poised and comfortable on the highway. The new Pivi Pro interface is well thought out and no more than 2 touches away from any task. I like the interior as well as the overall styling of the car. Very comfortable seats and a lot of features included in the model, great sound system as well. I get all the criticism for the loss of bigger, more cylinder cars but I think it’s just where we are at. I’m happy we got the car before all the shortages hit and were able to find this , set up they way we wanted on the lot.
YMMV
Old 08-19-21, 07:52 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMav
I’ve owned a 2021 XF R Dynamic since April. I am very satisfied with both the car and price I paid for such a nice sports sedan. For just under 50k I think we got a lot of car. I think car manufacturers are in a challenging time transitioning from ice to electric, which is where Jaguar finds itself. The rear of the car shows no exhaust which could be interpreted that the model may be electric soon. I’ve been driving since the mid 60s so I have driven a lot of different power trains. From big classic American V 8s to both Euro and Japanese 4 bangers. Squeezing close to 300 hp out of this engine is a pretty good engineering feat. The car handles like a dream, well planted in the twistys and poised and comfortable on the highway. The new Pivi Pro interface is well thought out and no more than 2 touches away from any task. I like the interior as well as the overall styling of the car. Very comfortable seats and a lot of features included in the model, great sound system as well. I get all the criticism for the loss of bigger, more cylinder cars but I think it’s just where we are at. I’m happy we got the car before all the shortages hit and were able to find this , set up they way we wanted on the lot.
YMMV
I'm guessing you got a huge discount, because a base model XF R-Dynamic starts at $50k.
Old 08-19-21, 08:08 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huge would be misleading, MSRP was close to 55k and I paid in the high 40’s. There are not a lot of Jaguar/Land Rover dealers around and the color and options was sitting in the lot. One of the appeals to me was that in a sea of BMWs, Audis, Mercedes and Lexus around the greater Boston area our Jaguar is a bit unique. The 5 year 50k coverage was also appealing. We won’t put 50k on her in 5 years so I feel pretty good overall about the car. As much as I understand all the criticism because of Tata ownership, IMHO the marquee suffered most under Fords stewardship. If they can pull off electrification and maintain some sedan offerings I hope they will survive. I’ve always been a fan of the car, I’ve owned British cars and know what I’m getting into.
YMMV
Old 08-23-21, 10:04 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I prefer the 1999 XJR I traded my 1995 Mustang GT for. XJR has the supercharged engine & my wife & I enjoyed outrunning all sorts of modified cars with it.

Even funner is my all time favorite :

Quick Reply: 2021 Jaguar XF Refresh: Goodbye 6-cylinder