Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Land Cruiser reportedly retiring from the American market after 2021

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-20, 12:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Toyota Land Cruiser reportedly retiring from the American market after 2021

Lexus will continue selling the LX, however

Act fast if you want to explore the outdoors in a new Toyota Land Cruiser. It seems 2021 will be the current-generation SUV's last model year on the American market, according to a recent report, and it's not coming back.

An anonymous dealer source confirmed the off-roader's demise to Motor Authority. "Unfortunately it's gone, which I'm pretty bummed about. It's a punch to the gut for all of us enthusiasts who love the product. There's no illusion it's coming back, and it's completely dead for the moment, " the incognito employee told the publication.

Toyota hasn't confirmed the report, and it hasn't revealed what's next for the 13-year old SUV. All we know at this point is that the Heritage Edition model (pictured) introduced for the 2020 model year is back for 2021, and it's available with three rows of seats. Classic Silver and Magnetic Gray joined black and white on the Heritage Edition's color palette. The entry-level Land Cruiser priced at $86,880 entered the 2021 model year unchanged.

If the report is accurate, it announces the end of one of America's longest-running nameplates. Toyota created its American division on October 31, 1957, and it started selling cars the following year. It sold merely 288 vehicles in the United States in 1958, and only one was a Land Cruiser. Unrestored, it's displayed in a Utah museum.

Motorists who want a big, burly off-roader with Toyota genes won't be entirely out of luck. Lexus will continue selling the LX, its version of the Land Cruiser, in the foreseeable future, according to a post on enthusiast forum IH8MUD that has since been taken down. It will reportedly downsize from a 5.7-liter V8 to a turbocharged V6.

What's next?

With the Land Cruiser out of the picture, the Sequoia will stand proud as Toyota's biggest and boldest SUV. It's based on the Tundra pickup, so it's nearing the end of its life cycle, and it starts at $51,465 including destination. We've seen the next-generation Tundra testing across America, but the new Sequoia hasn't shown its face yet.

Elsewhere on the planet, the Land Cruiser will be replaced in the coming years with a new model called 300-Series internally. It will likely follow the path blazed by the LX and ditch its V8 in favor of a turbocharged V6, according to unverified rumors, but it will still be as capable off the beaten path as it's always been. The Middle East is the Land Cruiser's biggest market, followed by Australia, so Toyota can't afford to water it down. It needs to retain its off-road capacity even if it loses displacement to comply with ever-stricter fuel economy regulations.

And, in an odd twist of automotive history, the 70-Series Land Cruiser introduced in 1984 could outlive the current, 200-Series model. It's still sold in a number of markets, including Australia, where it's relatively popular.
Source
Old 10-09-20, 12:14 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

This was Toyota’s most prestigious model. What a colossal mistake.
Old 10-09-20, 01:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Another amazing Toyota product gone. Smh.

Although it's wildly expensive, so no real shocker here.
Old 10-09-20, 01:13 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

There is more to this honestly, but it was always expected as I said earlier this year and reported, the 200 Series will end production and high end 300-Series may not be sold here in Toyota showrooms.

What to do with the Land Cruiser nameplate is still being studied, but it is not going to be what it is as a luxury utility.

A lot of stupid non-US magazines and automotive news sites stupidly took what I said, to mean that the 300 will be a 5-seater offering worldwide. A lot of them don't seem to get, Toyota USA selling X version, doesn't mean the rest of the world also applies.

I have been very pissed at how they have taken out of context what I whispered to someone in January. It has been very obvious that 200 series will end production in 2021 and these reports of 300 being released this year were BS, as it has always been 2021 since 2018ish. COVID or no COVID.

By the way everyone, 200 Series production ends in May 2021. Last batch will be delivered into July 2021. Toyota USA posted this months ago. 2021 production started in August for October launch.

It had been studied whether to keep the Sequoia as the large family SUV for USA on TNGA-F, while saving a new Land Cruiser for 2023-24 launch with a more offroad focused design. A TNGA-F vehicle, but not necessarily a 300 Series in the USA. Call it a hiatus, at least for now (since execs change their minds).
Old 10-09-20, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Although it's wildly expensive, so no real shocker here.

There is a reason why it is expensive. Drive one, look at its construction, and you will see why. They are built to last.
Old 10-09-20, 04:31 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There is a reason why it is expensive. Drive one, look at its construction, and you will see why. They are built to last.
So is the LX, which is probably why it outsells the Land Cruiser and isn't getting killed off here. When the price difference between the two is so small, there's little reason to pick the one with the Toyota badge.
Old 10-09-20, 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
So is the LX, which is probably why it outsells the Land Cruiser and isn't getting killed off here. When the price difference between the two is so small, there's little reason to pick the one with the Toyota badge.

Yes, the LX is essentially the same vehicle, just with a little richer trim inside and a trick power-raise suspension. However, I was addressing the reason why both are expensive, and expanding on GFerg's point........their materials and construction probably justify it.
Old 10-09-20, 08:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

about the lx, saw a nice one today...

Old 10-09-20, 09:03 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
about the lx, saw a nice one today...
Ah yes, the natural habitat of the extremely capable off-road body-on-frame SUV: the local shopping center.
Old 10-11-20, 02:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

IMO the silver lining in the loss of the Land Cruiser in the US market, is it opens the doors for the next Sequoia to be much more special, premium and a more serious contender against cash cows like the Tahoe/Suburban, Expedition, upcoming Grand Wagoner etc
Old 10-11-20, 05:16 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
IMO the silver lining in the loss of the Land Cruiser in the US market, is it opens the doors for the next Sequoia to be much more special, premium and a more serious contender against cash cows like the Tahoe/Suburban, Expedition, upcoming Grand Wagoner etc
Agreed according to carsalesdatabase, the combined sales in 2019 for both the Landcruiser and LX was 8,254 units in the US. The dinosaur Sequoia for the same period sold 10,829 units. If the Sequoia is done right, it could be very attractive to a lot of buyers. Need to move the Sequoia more upscale (less cheap plastic).

The Landcruiser has been on life support for years here in the US, so not surprising that is may be getting the axe. I constantly hear that the Landcruiser is built to a 25 year life, but keep wondering if that really matters to most new car buyers? I would think if someone can afford a $70k to $80k rig, then those buyers would be in the market for a new vehicle a lot sooner than 25 years. I am not sure who the target market is for the Landcruiser, but seems pricey for what it is.
Old 10-11-20, 06:16 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

The issue here is the LX, while capable, has zero offroading potential in factory guise. It has low front and rear overhangs, making approach and departure angles mediocre at best, and those fancy aero bumpers and side skirts are plastic, which means the first few minutes of any real offroad excursion will result in tens of thousands of dollars in body damage.

So yes, the guts are totally capable. The LX has offroading features that even some land rovers don't have, but it isn't a car for that anymore. Its a car for upper middle class soccer moms to go grocery shopping in.
Old 10-11-20, 08:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't think the Toyota Land Cruiser is done...the 200-series is probably in the final MY year...next gen 2022 should come to the US...maybe they will badge it a Sequoia but I can't see Toyota having two body on frame platforms....will likely be consolidated to just one. I hope they don't produce the LC/4Runner in the USA, that will ruin everything.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-11-20 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-11-20, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
The LX has offroading features that even some land rovers don't have, but it isn't a car for that anymore. Its a car for upper middle class soccer moms to go grocery shopping in.
When one looks at the LX's price, I'd say quite upper-middle-class. One has to be well-heeled to take home one of these, particularly if not leasing.
Old 10-11-20, 11:16 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When one looks at the LX's price, I'd say quite upper-middle-class. One has to be well-heeled to take home one of these, particularly if not leasing.
Also, is the typical LX buyer interested in off road or is it even a consideration? My guess and it’s only a guess, is that the typical large Lexus SUV buyer that wants luxury does not care much about off road capabilities. Again, I could be wrong. If Lexus makes the next gen LX more refined and luxurious, then it will do well. Add better mpg and high quality materials and the latest tech and it will be a home run.

Quick Reply: Toyota Land Cruiser reportedly retiring from the American market after 2021