Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda6 diesels leave Europe; 2.2L Skyactiv diesel approved in U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 07:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
sooner or later they do... smell is not the problem first 100k miles, it is nox, and you cant smell it.

Anyway, they are quickly dying in Europe, very surprising.
Good riddance. Better alternatives in hybrids and BEVs anyway.
Old 01-28-21, 08:22 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. They are being phased out (at least in the U.S) because people aren't buying them, and have been swept up in the glamour-world of hybrids and BEVs.

And, if you think that diesel-fumes are deadly, just try accidentally touching the wrong connection in one of those hybrids or BEVs.
Diesel exhaust = known carcinogen.
Old 01-28-21, 09:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Touching wires is just as bad. 😵
Old 01-28-21, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

So? So is breathing gas-fumes while refueling. So is getting engine oil on your hands if you are changing your own oil. So is the gaseous-vaporization from some of the materials used inside vehicles for upholstery and trim. Do are dozens of other materials in and around the typical vehicle...and your home. If one does not want to be exposed to anything harmful (or potentially harmful, the best thing to do is not to get out of bed in the morning...and, even then, the very air inside your bedroom could have Radon gas.
Old 01-28-21, 05:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Let's see, petrol vapours are controlled by all manner of systems from the production to the gas gas pump to complicated hardware in your car. If you change your oil with bare hands you're an idiot. We as a society generally do all we can to eliminate or at least reduce harmful compounds. Justifying one form of toxin because another exists is silly to put it kindly.
Old 01-28-21, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Let's see, petrol vapours are controlled by all manner of systems from the production to the gas gas pump to complicated hardware in your car. If you change your oil with bare hands you're an idiot. We as a society generally do all we can to eliminate or at least reduce harmful compounds. Justifying one form of toxin because another exists is silly to put it kindly.
Call it whatever you want...it's still reality.
Old 01-28-21, 05:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I think everyone knows that hence the elimination of diesel options from our passengers cars. good riddance.
Old 01-28-21, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think everyone knows that hence the elimination of diesel options from our passengers cars. good riddance.

Well, that's one reason WHY the public isn't buying diesels (besides VW's cheating). Propaganda, unfortunately, sometimes works. They have been sold a bunch of nonsense that diesels of today are bad for them, and are destroying the environment.
Old 01-28-21, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

The public doesnt know anything about VW's cheating. Diesels just dont make sense in America, the costs are too high, they have a stigma in America, theres just really no reason to buy one. They do well in Europe for economical reasons.
Old 01-28-21, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The public doesnt know anything about VW's cheating.
Maybe they have forgotten by now, but one cannot say that they didn't know anything. It was front-page news in many major publications.....even non-automotive ones.

I also wouldn't be too quick to accuse the public of "forgetting" things too soon when you still have people (and, yes, I still occasionally see them or deal with them) that, even today, won't go anywhere near a Korean dealership because of what they were building 30 years ago LOL.

Diesels just dont make sense in America, the costs are too high, they have a stigma in America, theres just really no reason to buy one. They do well in Europe for economical reasons.
The trouble-plagued VW diesels of the 70s/80s, and (especially) the simply-awful 5.7L GM V8 diesel (which, along with the Corvair's oil-splattering air-cooled flat-six, was one of the worst power-plants the corporation ever came up with), is what really turned the public off to automotive diesels. Mercedes and Peugeot, however, even back then, proved that durable/reliable automotive diesels could be had, although, in Peugeot's case, that reliability did not extend to the rest of the vehicle...that's what drove them to of the U.S. market.
Old 01-28-21, 06:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lets put it this way, *I* barely remember. I just asked my wife about it and she had no idea what I was talking about. People just don't care about cars the way we do.
Old 01-28-21, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Lets put it this way, *I* barely remember. I just asked my wife about it and she had no idea what I was talking about. People just don't care about cars the way we do.
Not only that, but, she probably doesn't have the time to discuss it that you and I do LOL. Raising two kids that age can take up lot of a mother's time....assuming that you don't have a maid or Nanny.
Old 01-28-21, 07:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

When I was in college getting my mechanical engineering degree, I took a class that was all about engines. At that time (mid to late 90s), diesel engines were much more efficient than regular gas. Diesels were hitting around 42% thermal efficiency if I remember right, and gasoline was in the ballpark of 24% at that time. There are now gasoline engines hitting over 40% that can get the same gas mileage as diesels, no to mention what hybrids can do. Diesel passenger cars just don't make the compelling case that they once did. You still have the diesel maintenance and limited gas stations, but they don't stand out above their gasoline counterparts in fuel consumption like they used to. It's a tough sell.
Old 01-28-21, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
When I was in college getting my mechanical engineering degree, I took a class that was all about engines. At that time (mid to late 90s), diesel engines were much more efficient than regular gas. Diesels were hitting around 42% thermal efficiency if I remember right, and gasoline was in the ballpark of 24% at that time. There are now gasoline engines hitting over 40% that can get the same gas mileage as diesels, no to mention what hybrids can do. Diesel passenger cars just don't make the compelling case that they once did. You still have the diesel maintenance and limited gas stations, but they don't stand out above their gasoline counterparts in fuel consumption like they used to. It's a tough sell.

Car & Driver, in a very recent article, still gives the edge to diesels in many driving-sutuations. So does autocar in Britain.

https://www.caranddriver.com/researc...l-vs-gasoline/

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/te...ficient-petrol
Old 01-28-21, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only that, but, she probably doesn't have the time to discuss it that you and I do LOL. Raising two kids that age can take up lot of a mother's time....assuming that you don't have a maid or Nanny.
This is true lol

Quick Reply: Mazda6 diesels leave Europe; 2.2L Skyactiv diesel approved in U.S.