Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda6 diesels leave Europe; 2.2L Skyactiv diesel approved in U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21 | 12:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Car & Driver, in a very recent article, still gives the edge to diesels in many driving-sutuations. So does autocar in Britain.

https://www.caranddriver.com/researc...l-vs-gasoline/

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/te...ficient-petrol
It’s the low-end torque, coupled with the long range that many people like. My brother traded his Hyundai ELANTRA for a BMW with a diesel engine
Old 01-31-21 | 11:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Touching wires is just as bad. 😵
true, but I won't touch the wires --- when I'm driving behind a polluting diesel I can't help but breathe

Until you drive behind one in the winter and find out that's BS.
EXACTLY

Good riddance the sooner we get the smelly polluting diesels off the road the better.
Yessssssssssssssssssss

So? So is breathing gas-fumes while refueling. So is getting engine oil on your hands if you are changing your own oil. So is the gaseous-vaporization from some of the materials used inside vehicles for upholstery and trim. Do are dozens of other materials in and around the typical vehicle...and your home. If one does not want to be exposed to anything harmful (or potentially harmful, the best thing to do is not to get out of bed in the morning...and, even then, the very air inside your bedroom could have Radon gas.
Exactly, so why breathe the foul stench of diesel exhaust too???? maybe you can just stop breathing next time your behind a diesel
Old 01-31-21 | 11:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The public doesnt know anything about VW's cheating. Diesels just dont make sense in America, the costs are too high, they have a stigma in America, theres just really no reason to buy one. They do well in Europe for economical reasons.

Diesel Vehicles Face a Grim Future in Europe’s Cities

Over the next decade, 24 European cities with a total population of 62 million people will ban diesel vehicles, and 13 of those cities will ban all internal combustion cars by 2030, according to Bloomberg News.

Already, Paris, Madrid, and Hamburg have placed limited bans on diesel vehicles, prompting consumers to desert diesel-powered cars in droves. In 2018, diesel car registrations fell 36 percent across Europe, and they have dropped by more than half since 2015. The exodus away from diesel vehicles has been driven not only by concerns over air pollution and climate change, but also public anger after officials disclosed in 2015 that Volkswagen had been rigging emissions tests to make its diesel vehicles look far cleaner than they actually were.

Last December, Madrid began restricting access to gasoline-powered vehicles made before 2000 and to diesel vehicles made before 2006. And this month, Paris banned diesel cars older than 13 years from the city center on weekdays.

Bloomberg reported that even though consumers are forsaking diesel vehicles, they are not rapidly embracing electric vehicles, in part because of the lack of charging infrastructure. Across Europe, sales of EVs and hybrid cars made up only 3 percent of total car sales last year. Analysts forecast that by 2030, EVs and hybrids could make up about half of new car sales in France and that by 2040 EVs will account for about 40 percent of demand in Germany. https://e360.yale.edu/digest/diesel-...europes-cities
Old 01-31-21 | 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Exactly, so why breathe the foul stench of diesel exhaust too???? maybe you can just stop breathing next time your behind a diesel
You miss the main point. The "Foul Stench" of diesels is largely a thing of the past, particularly with automotive Common-Rail/TDI/Bluetec diesels. This is not the world of the 1970s and 80s anymore.

Old 01-31-21 | 11:34 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Mazda6 diesels leave Europe; 2.2L Skyactiv diesel approved in U.S.-i7yakir.jpg
Old 01-31-21 | 12:23 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

You miss the main point. The "Foul Stench" of diesels is largely a thing of the past, particularly with automotive Common-Rail/TDI/Bluetec diesels. This is not the world of the 1970s and 80s anymore.
It’s worse. All those damn stinking diesel trucks going around while I’m shoveling snow made it hard to breathe. The worst are the diesel bros with their emissions deleted brodozers.
Old 01-31-21 | 12:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly. I haven't been around any of those modern diesels that had any kind of diesel exhaust smell.
Old 01-31-21 | 12:34 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Exactly. I haven't been around any of those modern diesels that had any kind of diesel exhaust smell.
When they are in proper working order and their emissions systems haven’t been tampered with, they are perfectly fine. No issues at all.
but it seems like every one on the road around here has had its emissions system bypassed. It’s all about the coal.
Old 01-31-21 | 01:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

You can tell me all day and night that the "modern" diesel is clean, I know what I smell and feel being behind one on a cold day. Plus they have to be meticulously maintained or emissions skyrocket. Diesel engines are horrible and can't go away fast enough.
Old 01-31-21 | 01:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdls
When they are in proper working order and their emissions systems haven’t been tampered with, they are perfectly fine. No issues at all.
but it seems like every one on the road around here has had its emissions system bypassed. It’s all about the coal.
I highly doubt people are bypassing the emissions systems on new diesel BMWs Range Rovers and Mercedes.

You can tell me all day and night that the "modern" diesel is clean, I know what I smell and feel being behind one on a cold day. Plus they have to be meticulously maintained or emissions skyrocket. Diesel engines are horrible and can't go away fast enough.
I have never smelled any smells riding behind any of these diesel cars we are talking about.
Old 01-31-21 | 01:52 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

I highly doubt people are bypassing the emissions systems on new diesel BMWs Range Rovers and Mercedes.
Nah. I never see a passenger diesel car here where I currently live. Just light, medium and heavy duty trucks
Old 01-31-21 | 01:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I bet you have seen them, you just didnt know they were diesels.
Old 01-31-21 | 02:02 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

I bet you have seen them, you just didnt know they were diesels.
I remember cars with incredible detail. I can’t remember what I had for lunch but I’ll remember a car
Old 01-31-21 | 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The only way you would know on many of these cars is a very small badge, or on some there is no outward way of knowing (such as a Jeep Grand Cherokee for instance.
Old 01-31-21 | 02:19 PM
jer
Instructor

Taking a walk in the neighborhood today and realized what I thought was a diesel smell. A Mercedes Sprinter passed me by, not an Amazon vehicle, just plain white, but was definitely diesel. Not sure if privately owned or a delivery vehicle, maybe not properly maintained due to the odor?

Quick Reply: Mazda6 diesels leave Europe; 2.2L Skyactiv diesel approved in U.S.