Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Toyota Mirai

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 10:25 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
That wouldnt have happened.
I think it could have, but it doesn't matter at this point as there is no 5GS.
Old 10-20-20, 03:31 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

wow the mirai looks more like a regular car, like a smaller LS! is it RWD?
color me impressed, but yes i'm also sad the GS is no longer with us.
Old 10-21-20, 06:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think it could have, but it doesn't matter at this point as there is no 5GS.
It is a sad truth indeed.

And they would have neuter it like when they put the 4.6 V8 in there. It will not be competitive and gets laughed out of the room.
Old 10-21-20, 07:46 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

It is a sad truth indeed.

And they would have neuter it like when they put the 4.6 V8 in there. It will not be competitive and gets laughed out of the room.
it would give me warm and fuzzies to gloat as an LS460 owner but then I remember that my car is an AWD with a neutered 1UR-FSE.

So I got nothin.
Old 10-21-20, 08:45 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

If it were a 5GS, it would probably have ended up with the same hybrid powertrains in the new Crown.
Old 10-22-20, 12:26 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
If it were a 5GS, it would probably have ended up with the same hybrid powertrains in the new Crown.
The new Crown hybrid has impressive acceleration.
Old 10-22-20, 04:01 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck to Toyota with new Mirai, they are going to need it. Never understood the reasoning to cancel midsize premium sedan because of poor sales and then use it's blueprint to make even more of a niche premium sedan under T brand. That will all come back to haunt Lexus very soon no matter how many RX, NX, UX or whatever X they sell in the meantime.
Old 10-22-20, 10:09 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

The fact that they wasted so much effort, time and resources on Hydrogen will come back to haunt them. It is the Beta-Max of future powertrains.
Old 10-22-20, 01:40 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Good luck to Toyota with new Mirai, they are going to need it. Never understood the reasoning to cancel midsize premium sedan because of poor sales and then use it's blueprint to make even more of a niche premium sedan under T brand. That will all come back to haunt Lexus very soon no matter how many RX, NX, UX or whatever X they sell in the meantime.
Probably because they just started a new venture where Mazda would share their forthcoming midsize premium sedan powered by a mild hybrid in-line six with RWD, while Toyota would share its HFCEV technology.

The fact that they wasted so much effort, time and resources on Hydrogen will come back to haunt them. It is the Beta-Max of future powertrains.
Back in 2008, the Chinese disputed with the Japanese over the ownership of the Senkaku Islands, and the Chinese with held sales of rare earth metals to Japan, such that from 2008 onwards, Japan began a new program so that it would no longer be reliant on China for rare earth metals.
Since then, Japan has now discovered a huge deposit of rare earth metals under the Japanese ocean.
Japan is presently mining rare earth metals in Malaysia, Australia, and apparently California - or something like that.
The US has also jumped onto the bandwagon so that the US is no longer reliant on Chinese rare earth metals.
Old 10-22-20, 03:05 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Probably because they just started a new venture where Mazda would share their forthcoming midsize premium sedan powered by a mild hybrid in-line six with RWD, while Toyota would share its HFCEV technology.
Mazda RWD inline turbo connection is 99% true but apparently it's for IS/RC only. Let's wait and see. What they did to IS this years is exactly what they did to LS in 2015, they killed it while keeping it alive. New IS will have a huge sales drop compared to all the previous ISes for its initial year. It's inevitable. And I even like the new refresh, I think its the best looking car in its class. Kind of wish they've saved it for the new model.
Old 10-22-20, 03:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Mazda RWD inline turbo connection is 99% true but apparently it's for IS/RC only. Let's wait and see. What they did to IS this years is exactly what they did to LS in 2015, they killed it while keeping it alive. New IS will have a huge sales drop compared to all the previous ISes for its initial year. It's inevitable. And I even like the new refresh, I think its the best looking car in its class. Kind of wish they've saved it for the new model.
Just curious. What redesigned RWD sports sedan has had big year over year sales gains? Is there any out there? Sales of sedans are declining....
Old 10-22-20, 03:32 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Japanese Mag X is very good at reputable leaks, and they are saying that the GS will be replaced by Mazda's premium midsize in-line six with RWD, while the major refreshed 3.5IS will be replaced directly by e-TNGA BEV.
Old 10-22-20, 03:37 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Mazda might make a new RWD 6, but it won't be a GS replacement. That ship has sailed, and I am tired of these silly rumors still floating around after Carmaker1 decisively killed them off.
Old 10-22-20, 05:18 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Japanese Mag X is very good at reputable leaks, and they are saying that the GS will be replaced by Mazda's premium midsize in-line six with RWD, while the major refreshed 3.5IS will be replaced directly by e-TNGA BEV.
Never believed in BEV only IS rumors cause Toyota is not that stupid.They know better than to chase what cannot be caught, Tesla. And I'm not talking about technology, I'm talking about marketing and cult following.
Old 10-22-20, 05:28 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Does it really matter though? Are folks going to change their current or future purchasing habits based on rumors of what Lexus and Mazda are going to come out with lol?

Quick Reply: 2021 Toyota Mirai