Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Emergency Brake (Off Roading related)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 08:21 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Emergency Brake (Off Roading related)

I read about this last week, video just came out yesterday, driver got out to spot someone and forgot to pull the e-brake, skip ahead to the 3:10 or so mark

Old 10-23-20, 08:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

What are they asking a donation for at the end of the video? For a new car or for the guy's family??
Old 10-23-20, 08:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The guy in the Jeep recording that is super lucky he didn't wind up in the path of that falling Jeep...wow
Old 10-23-20, 09:04 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
What are they asking a donation for at the end of the video? For a new car or for the guy's family??
since nobody was in the heep I assume it’s to buy another heep to be irresponsible with
Old 10-23-20, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdls
since nobody was in the heep I assume it’s to buy another heep to be irresponsible with
At the beginning of the video he said it was to help the girl who had been ejected from the falling Jeep and was seriously injured

Old 10-23-20, 09:13 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
At the beginning of the video he said it was to help the girl who had been ejected from the falling Jeep and was seriously injured

ooops!! I didn’t catch that
sorry
That’s awful.
i hope she recovers quickly and completely
Old 10-23-20, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I almost fast forwarded through the first part too lol
Old 10-23-20, 09:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Thank you for clarifying, I also missed that part
Old 10-23-20, 10:43 AM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Full story here
Old 10-24-20, 03:43 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

This is a horrible tragedy...my heart goes out the woman who was ejected and I hope she pulls through!

I did a fair amount of off-roading in my '77 FJ40 Landcrusher. It can be an extreme sport, depending on where you go and how you drive. In this case, it was dangerous even on relatively well-built trail because the driver didn't follow basic safety procedures.

It's easy to get sucked-into the romantic version of off-roading as seen on TV commercials, but in reality, it requires know-how, skills, and extreme vigilance in all manner, to do it safely. Maybe an off-road license is necessary so people get the training and skills they need to off-road without killing themselves or others in the process? Buying a Jeep alone, doesn't qualify one for this sport.
Old 10-24-20, 04:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It really does, it can be very technical, slow going, precise...
Old 10-24-20, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
This is a horrible tragedy...my heart goes out the woman who was ejected and I hope she pulls through!
Totally agree. Just said some prayers for her.

I did a fair amount of off-roading in my '77 FJ40 Landcrusher. It can be an extreme sport, depending on where you go and how you drive. In this case, it was dangerous even on relatively well-built trail because the driver didn't follow basic safety procedures.
Well-built trail or not, Black Bear has a reputation for being one of the most dangerous passes in Colorado.

It's easy to get sucked-into the romantic version of off-roading as seen on TV commercials, but in reality, it requires know-how, skills, and extreme vigilance in all manner, to do it safely. Maybe an off-road license is necessary so people get the training and skills they need to off-road without killing themselves or others in the process? Buying a Jeep alone, doesn't qualify one for this sport.
Again, totally agree. I had not thought of that. I think you have a point about the possibility of requiring special off-road licenses. Obviously, the skills required for being a safe Mountain-Goat are different from those of crossing creek beds, rock-crawling on the Rubicon Trail, or using the vehicle for towing.
Old 10-24-20, 06:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A lot of those areas do require special
permits and all, inspection of your vehicle and equipment etc.
Old 10-24-20, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A lot of those areas do require special
permits and all, inspection of your vehicle and equipment etc.

I don't want to get too far into political comments (and I hope the moderators don't consider this too political)....but, as I see it, we also deserve better than that in the U.S. It is one thing to have ultra-dangerous trails like that in Third-World mountain ranges like the Andes, Himalayas, Atlas Mountains of North Africa, the mountains of Western China, etc..... quite another in the U.S., one of the richest countries in the world. Not that I don't have sympathy for those who have to drive under those Third-World conditions (I do, very much)....but, with China one possible exception, those countries simply don't have the money or resources that we do to spend on road-design/maintenance.

Take closer to home, for instance, here in the Northeastern U.S. U.S. 30 (the old Lincoln Highway) and U.S. 40 (the old National Road, which was the first federally-funded road in the country), used to both be very steep and narrow across the Maryland and Pennsylvania portions of the Appalachians, with often sharp/hairpin curves and only rudimentary guard rails. Tuscarora Mountain and Sideling Hill on U.S. 30, and Sideling Hill, Polish Mountain, and the famous Uniontown/Summit-Mountain descent on U.S. 40 were both especially hairy stretches of road, until those areas were all gradually rebuilt from the 1930s to the 1950s to level them somewhat and take out the most hazardous curves......although the descent at Uniontown is still very long and steep, just with easier curves now.

Farther south, in WV, for a number of reasons, where you and your family drive, many of the worst East-West roads across the sharply mountainous Eastern half of the state (U.S. 50, 33, 60, 250, etc...) were never addressed or rebuilt, and one still has to drive over their snake-like mountain passes, today, almost like they did almost a century ago....only, today, the much more reliable engines don't overheat going up the grades.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-24-20 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-24-20, 07:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't want to get too far into political comments (and I hope the moderators don't consider this too political)....but, as I see it, we also deserve better than that in the U.S. It is one thing to have ultra-dangerous trails like that in Third-World mountain ranges like the Andes, Himalayas, Atlas Mountains of North Africa, the mountains of Western China, etc..... quite another in the U.S., one of the richest countries in the world. Not that I don't have sympathy for those who have to drive under those Third-World conditions (I do, very much)....but, with China one possible exception, those countries simply don't have the money or resources that we do to spend on road-design/maintenance.

Take closer to home, for instance, here in the Northeastern U.S. U.S. 30 (the old Lincoln Highway) and U.S. 40 (the old National Road, which was the first federally-funded road in the country), used to both be very steep and narrow across the Maryland and Pennsylvania portions of the Appalachians, with often sharp/hairpin curves and only rudimentary guard rails. Tuscarora Mountain and Sideling Hill on U.S. 30, and Sideling Hill, Polish Mountain, and the famous Uniontown/Summit-Mountain descent on U.S. 40 were both especially hairy stretches of road, until those areas were all gradually rebuilt from the 1930s to the 1950s to level them somewhat and take out the most hazardous curves......although the descent at Uniontown is still very long and steep, just with easier curves now.

Farther south, in WV, for a number of reasons, where you and your family drive, many of the worst East-West roads across the sharply mountainous Eastern half of the state (U.S. 50, 33, 60, 250, etc...) were never addressed or rebuilt, and one still has to drive over their snake-like mountain passes, today, almost like they did almost a century ago....only, today, the much more reliable engines don't overheat going up the grades.
Third World country is used in correctly...Third World countries were those who didn’t side during the Cold War.

Quick Reply: Emergency Brake (Off Roading related)