Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My new 21 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 09:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Compared to my 04, the steering is brutal. It’s like it’s hard to figure out fast you can go into a curve as when you steer it feels like you are going to fast. My 04 not so. Both have a hydraulic shock absorbers system but the big wheels feel too large
I suspect your 04 has hydraulic steering and the '21 has electric? If so that's likely much more of a factor than the wheels.

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
why wasn't a preowned GX considered?
LexCTJill buys new.
Old 10-30-20, 03:53 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Honestly, when you have it now on two 4Runners, it’s not that great or big a deal. I would trade it for some other feature if I could. I never really used the window in my 04 and I doubt I’ll use this window much. . If I had a dog it would be great but I don’t. And you can’t really open the sunroof and rear glass at the same time.
Interesting view - albeit the complete opposite of mine! I had two 4Runner's ('00 and '04) and I never got sick of the rear window going down (I also had a '01 Sequoia where the window would go down). I didn't own a dog during the time of any of those vehicles, but I had the rear window open any chance I could - when the weather is nice it maximizes air flow and I really enjoyed it. Not understanding the comment about not having sunroof and rear glass open - I used to have sunroof open and all windows down. I would never trade that feature for anything else - in fact, it would be one of the primary reasons I'd get another 4Runner and I'd be willing to sacrifice things like ride quality to get it. To each their own.
Old 10-30-20, 05:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

So I looked into it. My phone calls are under 3G...but when I am running data, my phone goes to LTE. It’s my phone plan that does that.
Be aware that likely means you need to replace your phone in the next 12 months. This is the behavior you typically see in phones that don't support VoLTE--they use the 3G network for calls, and the LTE network for data. But that 3G network is being dismantled next year.
Old 10-30-20, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Compared to my 04, the steering is brutal. It’s like it’s hard to figure out fast you can go into a curve as when you steer it feels like you are going to fast. My 04 not so.
Bitkahuna is correct. Welcome to the world of electric power steering.

It is a simpler, less-complex system, requiring less maintenance, and not risking the fluid-leaks/contamination of hydraulic systems, but, in most cases, simply does not offer the same feel of what the front wheels are doing. It is one of the trade-offs of modern vehicles.
Old 10-30-20, 08:29 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I suspect your 04 has hydraulic steering and the '21 has electric? If so that's likely much more of a factor than the wheels.
I am fairly certain the 4Runner is still on a hydraulic system.
Old 10-30-20, 09:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Interesting view - albeit the complete opposite of mine! I had two 4R tounner's ('00 and '04) and I never got sick of the rear window going down (I also had a '01 Sequoia where the window would go down). I didn't own a dog during the time of any of those vehicles, but I had the rear window open any chance I could - when the weather is nice it maximizes air flow and I really enjoyed it. Not understanding the comment about not having sunroof and rear glass open - I used to have sunroof open and all windows down. I would never trade that feature for anything else - in fact, it would be one of the primary reasons I'd get another 4Runner and I'd be willing to sacrifice things like ride quality to get it. To each their own.
I just find that when the roof is open the rear hatch, there is a buffeting noise...perhaps it never bothered you or wasn't present on the vehicles you have. I actually tried today and noticed it. But for me, honestly, the rear window is just not a thing for me.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Bitkahuna is correct. Welcome to the world of electric power steering.

It is a simpler, less-complex system, requiring less maintenance, and not risking the fluid-leaks/contamination of hydraulic systems, but, in most cases, simply does not offer the same feel of what the front wheels are doing. It is one of the trade-offs of modern vehicles.
Both of my 4Runners are hydraulic....Same part # I think.
Old 10-30-20, 12:14 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Congrats!! Nice color.
Old 10-30-20, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Both of my 4Runners are hydraulic....Same part # I think.
Yep, you're right......I looked it up, and, surprising, but hydraulic it is. Toyota's site didn't publish it in the specs, though....had to check Car and Driver.

Car and Driver mentioned, in their testing, that the steering and chassis was so compromised for off-road performance that, as you noticed, it is sluggish on dry pavement.

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/4runner

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/4runner/specs

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-30-20, 04:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep, you're right......I looked it up, and, surprising, but hydraulic it is. Toyota's site didn't publish it in the specs, though....had to check Car and Driver.

Car and Driver mentioned, in their testing, that the steering and chassis was so compromised for off-road performance that, as you noticed, it is sluggish on dry pavement.

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/4runner

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/4runner/specs
Im not at all surprised it is hydraulic...I already knew. Lol. As for the handling, it’s downright terrible...but it’s fun...makes a terrible daily driver and I would never ever want to have it just as a single car. But I just love the mix of premium materials and other odd stuff...love the way Toyota’s makes things from Japan ever so lightly differently than the stuff from North America.

Toyota Canada lists the steering

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-30-20 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-30-20, 04:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Congrats!! Nice color.
Thanks. I just love it.
Old 10-30-20, 04:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZ214
Congrats - always have a soft spot for the 4runners, I seriously consisdered getting a TRD Pro. owned a 04 back in a day rock solid tank. My bro in law took it from me. still running strong 200k+ mile on it.

Was that a V6 or V8?
Old 10-31-20, 08:22 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Congrats on the new whip. The 4R in 21 is truly an evolved beast of the 150 series with all the tech one can need!

Your on freedom pop I assume, hows the service up north? I demoed it way back when it launched with sprint devices using their proprietary app/wifi based cell service and was wondering if its much improved since then.
Old 10-31-20, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Im not at all surprised it is hydraulic...I already knew. Lol.
With all due respect, I don't see any reason for reason for an LOL. Most vehicles, today, have indeed converted to electric power steering...it is not unreasonable to believe that the 4Runner also had. It is apparently one of the few holdouts.
Old 10-31-20, 01:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Congrats! Enjoy it in good health.
Thank you very much. I appreciate the comment
Old 10-31-20, 01:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Thank you very much. I appreciate the comment
No problem! I was having dinner in Bethesda last night across from the Euro Motorcars Mercedes dealership, and there was a real nice looking pearl white 4 Runner Limited sitting on the used car lot, its a sharp vehicle.

Quick Reply: My new 21 4Runner