Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My new 21 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-22, 12:14 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Congrats! I had a 4Runner before. The 96+ (?) model. Loved the way that SUV looked. So much change over two decades. I have not had any positive experience with LKA. They're all off on my vehicles. Any reason why so low MPG on a V6? That's worse than GX's V8 if I remember correctly.
Old 04-07-22, 12:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

glad you're enjoying it!

You can turn the LKA beeping off...
Old 04-07-22, 04:20 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

That is a beautiful color. That thing will be trouble-free for years to come. And people wonder why the 4Runner doesn't have a 10 speed automatic and some 4-cylinder turbo engine thing. Pull out the dictionary and under "reliability" you will find the 4Runner and a major reason is because it doesn't have all that complexity.
Old 04-07-22, 04:42 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
That is a beautiful color. That thing will be trouble-free for years to come. And people wonder why the 4Runner doesn't have a 10 speed automatic and some 4-cylinder turbo engine thing. Pull out the dictionary and under "reliability" you will find the 4Runner and a major reason is because it doesn't have all that complexity.
I think that it's also because it's sold in world markets and in places where you won't be getting "concierge anything" should you run into an issue with such a vehicle. Ironically enough, most of the people I see driving them are going to the mall, so maybe the extra ground clearance is good for clearing parking lot curbs, lol.

As an urban commuter; it's good for winter with the bad gas mileage - ok for summer with better mpg. It's a cult vehicle really. That's a lot of stop/go city driving to get that kind of mileage though; you use these as off road or highway in the best case scenario.

Last edited by MattyG; 04-07-22 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-07-22, 05:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

That is a beautiful color. .
Thanks. I just LOVE the colour. Waited a long time for it to arrive.

Something my dealer always asked me, “do you want us to leave the factory plastic in the interior?” I always say yes….so the HVAC display I STILL haven’t removed the clear plastic film. . (My 04 still has the factory plastic film on the JBL door speaker display after 18 years. ). The 4R is just so special to me

Here is my 04

4Runner doesn't have a 10 speed automatic and some 4-cylinder turbo engine thing. Pull out the dictionary and under "reliability" you will find the 4Runner and a major reason is because it doesn't have all that complexity.
Really doesn’t matter to me. I don’t drive very fast anyways.

"reliability" you will find the 4Runner and a major reason is because it doesn't have all that complexity.
‘My 04 was mechanically perfect from 2004-2019, but since the I have had some repairs for a few things that word out. Recently I just put new shocks on.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
glad you're enjoying it!

You can turn the LKA beeping off...
Thanks SW. that means a lot. I figured that “if” it saves my life, then I should probably keep it on as I guess I’d regret it if it were off. Also, it does not assist or correct, only alerts.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Congrats! I had a 4Runner before. The 96+ (?) model. Loved the way that SUV looked. So much change over two decades. I have not had any positive experience with LKA. They're all off on my vehicles. Any reason why so low MPG on a V6? That's worse than GX's V8 if I remember correctly.
Thanks. I don’t really drive it on the Hwy. Almost all city driving. And I idle a lot when I should turn off the engine etc etc.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations on the milestone (oops, KM-stone LOL) . By now, it should probably be time for an oil change if you have not had one yet.

I agree in principle it is probably needless cost-cutting, but on the other hand, sometimes it's good to have a unlockable fuel-door. The cables and other mechanisms that release the lock can fail, break, or malfunction, and then it can be very difficult to get the door open without using force and maybe causing damage to it.
true MM. no chance of breaking. BUT, it’s a total insult to not have a lock Done one oil change, no based on km but based on time. The interval is 16,000km. I don’t really like that length.

Originally Posted by geko29
This may be a blessing in disguise. If someone wants to steal your gas, it's FAR preferable for them to siphon it via the fuel filler. The alternative, which is being seen all over Chicago at least (and probably everywhere), is that they drill a hole in your gas tank and drain it into a bucket. You've got lots of ground clearance which makes that process even easier.
Good point. I must say, I can’t believe people drill into gas tank to steal gas. Wow.

The Toyota infotainment screen has really grown on me. It has just the right hard buttons to complement the dash buttons. I like how phone calls automatically go to Apple Car Play if plugged in, then automatically out of Apple Car play once the phone call is complete. Also just recently found out that once you hit play on an app, to play podcasts etc, it cuts out the AM or FM and goes straight to the podcast from pressing play on the device.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-07-22 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-07-22, 06:42 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

The 4R and its cousin GX are two of the last old school, but very special vehicles. Vehicles have become more disposable these days.
Old 04-07-22, 10:11 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Isnt it a different engine compared to the 2002 - 2009?

I went to try one of the newer models and it turn on some green leaf showing is saving gasoline and it really annoyed me when test driving. IMO, I was very dissappointed the seats were not upgraded, it almost felt Toyota took stuff away that previously included, now was extra upgrades.

The engine felt underpowered compared to the 02-09 V6 with VVT-i. Maybe I had a wrong salesman, everything he would mention on the "upgraded" model, mine had on the standard model. I was not sure who was more exited, me getting in on a new car or him snatching the 4runner I had as a trade-in.

If I want an eco friendly car then I buy a Prius, is like buying one of those hybrid Mustangs, is just wrong.
Old 04-08-22, 03:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GrizzlyMan
Isnt it a different engine compared to the 2002 - 2009?

I went to try one of the newer models and it turn on some green leaf showing is saving gasoline and it really annoyed me when test driving. IMO, I was very dissappointed the seats were not upgraded, it almost felt Toyota took stuff away that previously included, now was extra upgrades.

The engine felt underpowered compared to the 02-09 V6 with VVT-i. Maybe I had a wrong salesman, everything he would mention on the "upgraded" model, mine had on the standard model. I was not sure who was more exited, me getting in on a new car or him snatching the 4runner I had as a trade-in.

If I want an eco friendly car then I buy a Prius, is like buying one of those hybrid Mustangs, is just wrong.
My 04 is a V8. So they are not the same engines. I would say the V6 is better at highway speeds as it has 50 more HP. You can turn off the green leaf on 4R
Old 04-08-22, 08:22 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

When I order my car, I always tell the salesman to leave everything on for me to take them off. But be careful with those plastic stickers over the JBL. If you get enough heat, it will melt and stuck to it. JBL Synthesis is a nice system IMO.
Old 04-08-22, 10:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

When I order my car, I always tell the salesman to leave everything on for me to take them off. But be careful with those plastic stickers over the JBL. If you get enough heat, it will melt and stuck to it. JBL Synthesis is a nice system IMO.
Thanks. Never even bother looking to see if they are caked in.

JBL Synthesis is a nice system IMO.
Yeah its not bad. My 04 is better. Has a speaker in the centre of the dash. Two speakers high up pointing towards the front from the rear
Old 04-08-22, 01:49 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I dont know if drilling the gas tank is a good idea, it can cause a spark from metal on metal friction, or just the sparks of the electric motor.
True, but since these are crooks, do we really care if they die a painful, fiery death? When I first heard of this, I assumed they were only drilling holes in plastic gas tanks. One would have to be suicidal, or a complete idiot, to drill a metal gas tank. We can only hope they reap what they sow.
Old 04-08-22, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
​​​I dont know if drilling the gas tank is a good idea, it can cause a spark from metal on metal friction, or just the sparks of the electric motor.
As I understand it, to help prevent corrosion, most of today's automotive fuel tanks are made out of non-metallic materials, so I don't see why there is so much concern about getting sparks if and when one drills through them.
Old 04-08-22, 03:07 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I understand it, to help prevent corrosion, most of today's automotive fuel tanks are made out of non-metallic materials, so I don't see why there is so much concern about getting sparks if and when one drills through them.
Come on M&M, don't encourage any would-be crooks out there by telling it like it is!

Problem is, they're using a drill, most of which generate a spark through the brushes in their motors. Too, they drain the fuel into a bucket. That fuel sloshing around in an open container is a fire-bomb waiting to happen! If this practice continues, we will be hearing of some fatal mishaps, I'm sure.
Old 04-08-22, 03:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Come on M&M, don't encourage any would-be crooks out there by telling it like it is!
Most professional crooks and car thieves are a lot smarter than I am........at least when it comes to crime. They don't need either my advice or non-advice.

Problem is, they're using a drill, most of which generate a spark through the brushes in their motors. Too, they drain the fuel into a bucket. That fuel sloshing around in an open container is a fire-bomb waiting to happen! If this practice continues, we will be hearing of some fatal mishaps, I'm sure.
Yes, a distinct possibility. Also, with gas prices as high as they currently are (by U.S. standards) some people are trying to hoard supplies by storing gas in large non-approved containers......with predictable results.