Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Ford Edge gets a huge new infotainment screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 02:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 2021 Ford Edge gets a huge new infotainment screen

The 2021 Ford Edge is unchanged with one exception. And it's a fairly big one. The midsize crossover is getting a new 12-inch infotainment screen standard on every Edge model. It features the newest version of Ford's Sync infotainment operating system called Sync 4A.

The big screen is a vertical unit wedged into the Edge's aging dashboard. It's not the most elegant design, but it also could have been a lot worse. The size enables the Edge to show more than one app at a time, such as navigation at the top with audio information and controls below that, or vice versa or two completely different apps.

Sync 4A brings its own additional functionality. The system will recognize natural speech commands similar to smart home assistants like Amazon Alexa. Over-the-air updates and cloud-based navigation are also included. And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are now wireless. The Edge's owner's manual is even loaded into the infotainment.

Other than these infotainment updates, the Edge gets the most minor of changes. It picks up a couple USB ports for the back seats, and there are new wheels, colors and interior trims. Pricing and availability haven't been announced, but both should be coming soon.
Source
Old 10-29-20, 02:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Holy real estate.
Old 10-29-20, 02:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Big difference to last years model
Old 10-29-20, 03:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Had this as a rental last weekend. Only thing I liked about this SUV was the fact that it was dead quiet. No exaggeration, it was awkwardly and ridiculously quiet. Decent and comfortable ride too. Truly surprising. The model I had was an SEL with the turbo-4.

Besides that, everything else was Garbage.

As for the screen, no surprise here. Everyone else has it and buyers expect it, so it only makes sense.
Old 10-29-20, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Properly dash-integrated, I see. Good.....IMO too many Ford/Lincoln products lately have had the tacked-on look. GM is showing them how it can be done at reasonable cost.

That's a pretty big screen, though......any larger than that, and it would start looking like a Tesla.
Old 10-29-20, 04:57 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Properly dash-integrated, I see. Good.....IMO too many Ford/Lincoln products lately have had the tacked-on look. GM is showing them how it can be done at reasonable cost.

That's a pretty big screen, though......any larger than that, and it would start looking like a Tesla.
it already looks like a Tesla ripoff
Old 10-29-20, 05:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Had this as a rental last weekend. Only thing I liked about this SUV was the fact that it was dead quiet. No exaggeration, it was awkwardly and ridiculously quiet. Decent and comfortable ride too. Truly surprising. The model I had was an SEL with the turbo-4.

ROFL post of the day!

As for the screen... It's the #teslaeffect
Old 10-29-20, 06:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ROFL post of the day!

As for the screen... It's the #teslaeffect
lmao!! It truly does have one, maybe two good qualities. Throw the rest away.

So I just Google searched reviews and I swear, these are my exact feelings too. Very strange, but on point. I mean, they started the review on how quiet that engine is. Lol

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...onda-passport/

Highs: Seriously silent, low-stress engine, good grip.
Lows: Tall hoodline, bizarre control relationships, overweight, underdamped.
Verdict: It's as awkward in daily use as it is on a mountain road.

Say what you will about the Ford Edge, at least it's quiet. And we don't just mean a little less noisy than the others. At wide-open throttle, it's a full four decibels more muted than the next-quietest competitor. Ford's turbo 2.0-liter is virtually imperceptible in daily operation, which gives the Edge a peacefulness lacking elsewhere in this test. The Ford also boasts the second-largest back seat, accommodating three adults with relative ease.
With 275 pound-feet of torque at 3000 rpm, the Edge offers ample oomph. But even its midpack zero-to-60-mph and quarter-mile times (6.8 and 15.3 seconds, respectively) overshoot its chassis. On the road, it is critically underdamped, resulting in hilarious, if terrifying, antics when pushed. Steady-state cornering is better. At 0.83 g, it produced the second-best lateral acceleration. Its road-crushing 4357 pounds, however, made it the heaviest vehicle here. Pair that weight with the weakest brakes in the test and it was the first to turn its pads to smoke. Ford's SUV was spookier in the mountains than even the soft-boiled Murano, which couldn't go quick enough to hurt itself.

But the Edge's defining traits, the ones that sequestered it to the back of the pack, were its tall, awkward proportions and high driving position. Every editor commented on its high hood, long dash, and bungled control placement. The bizarre relationship between the Edge's steering wheel, shifter, and pedals yields a driving position that seems to hark back to a time before man stood erect.

Last edited by GFerg; 10-29-20 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-29-20, 06:34 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Decent update for a model year change, just hope more of their widgets and things are optimized to take advantage of the portrait screen. Wasn't super great on the Explorer I drove.

Smart to keep the volume and tune *****. Curious to dig into it when I can.
Old 10-30-20, 05:09 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg

It's been several years since I've driven one (so certainly not the current model), but my favorite thing about the Edge I had as a rental for a week or so was that the traction control was fully defeatable (probably not the case anymore), and it happened to be winter at the time. Snow + AWD + All-season tires - traction control = great fun I drifted and slid that thing all over the place.

As for the new screen, it's obviously not perfect, but this retrofit looks a million times better than most all-new designs where the screen was part of the original plan.
Old 10-30-20, 08:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Highs: Seriously silent, low-stress engine, good grip.
Lows: Tall hoodline, bizarre control relationships, overweight, underdamped.
Verdict: It's as awkward in daily use as it is on a mountain road.

Say what you will about the Ford Edge, at least it's quiet. And we don't just mean a little less noisy than the others. At wide-open throttle, it's a full four decibels more muted than the next-quietest competitor. Ford's turbo 2.0-liter is virtually imperceptible in daily operation, which gives the Edge a peacefulness lacking elsewhere in this test. The Ford also boasts the second-largest back seat, accommodating three adults with relative ease.
With 275 pound-feet of torque at 3000 rpm, the Edge offers ample oomph. But even its midpack zero-to-60-mph and quarter-mile times (6.8 and 15.3 seconds, respectively) overshoot its chassis. On the road, it is critically underdamped, resulting in hilarious, if terrifying, antics when pushed. Steady-state cornering is better. At 0.83 g, it produced the second-best lateral acceleration. Its road-crushing 4357 pounds, however, made it the heaviest vehicle here. Pair that weight with the weakest brakes in the test and it was the first to turn its pads to smoke. Ford's SUV was spookier in the mountains than even the soft-boiled Murano, which couldn't go quick enough to hurt itself.
Good to hear that the engineers can design in-line fours that run like V6s.....given that, with the general downsizing of power-plants, more and more vehicles are going to have them.

In some cases, it isn't even the engine itself, but simply good soundproofing/insulation under the hood that calms the racket the engine is actually making, so that it doesn't reach your ears.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-20 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-30-20, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

escape, edge, explorer, expedition, excursion - what alliteration freak was in charge?
and who added flex?
Old 10-30-20, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

escape, edge, explorer, expedition, excursion - what alliteration freak was in charge?
Dont forget EcoSport.

and who added flex?
Someone who was Flex-ible.
Old 10-30-20, 08:33 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and who added flex?