Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hell is about to freeze over....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-20, 01:27 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Hell is about to freeze over....

Pretty good chance I’ll be buying this “hearse” (as my wife calls it). It’s the ‘18 Preferred trim w/14k miles. Found it at a CDJR dealer where my friend is the used car director. Price is good, and he’s literally giving me retail on my old and beat up Tundra.
The previous owner had leather/leatherette installed.
I wish it was the Essence trim, but good luck finding one in these crazy times.
Old 10-31-20, 03:24 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Old 10-31-20, 03:24 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

2020 hasn't been THAT bad. lol.
Old 10-31-20, 04:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek

Pretty good chance I’ll be buying this “hearse” (as my wife calls it). It’s the ‘18 Preferred trim w/14k miles. Found it at a CDJR dealer where my friend is the used car director. Price is good, and he’s literally giving me retail on my old and beat up Tundra.
The previous owner had leather/leatherette installed.
I wish it was the Essence trim, but good luck finding one in these crazy times.

Very nice. I have always liked that car from GM
Old 10-31-20, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you spring for it, welcome to the world of the Tri-Shield. I think you will find it considerably less worthy of scorn than the image some naive persons have painted.

That's not a traditional American-designed Buick, BTW...it is a rebadged-version of the Euro-market Opel Insignia Wagon, with some minor Buick touches and perhaps some extra Buick Quiet-Tuning sound-insulation.

Respectfully, I disagree with your wife. It is not a hearse, but a well-rounded, versatile, mid-sized wagon with the added benefit/security of AWD.

And, with the demise of Buick-branded passenger cars in the U.S., you could wind up with a classic one day if well-cared for.

Here's the Opel version sold in Europe....you can see the remarkable similarity:

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-31-20 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 04:50 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

Enjoy! I've owned and enjoyed wagons in the past.

Wagons are, IMO, much better vehicles for most people's everyday usage than the generic SUV/CUV that they are more likely to buy. As are minivans, for that matter.

Old 10-31-20, 04:56 PM
stasek
Advanced

Originally Posted by swajames
Enjoy! I've owned and enjoyed wagons in the past.

Wagons are, IMO, much better vehicles for most people's everyday usage than the generic SUV/CUV that they are more likely to buy. As are minivans, for that matter.
Agree! I’ve always been a fan of wagons - almost bought the VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI back in 2012 (wound up getting the regular Jetta TDI).
As of now, the pickings are rather slim - the typical Germans are way more than I want to spend (at least when new), and we all know how adventurous used BMWs/MBs can be when out of warranty. The new Volvos are nice, but again - pricey!
Old 10-31-20, 05:00 PM
stasek
Advanced

My biggest concern right now is the wind noise coming from the panoramic sunroof. It’s REALLY bad - to the point that I was checking the windows and sunroof controls to make sure everything was closed properly. The car does have roof racks, which does appear to be the culprit, but until the racks are removed (they don’t have the “key” for the Buick/Thule racks), I’d be hesitant to pull the trigger.
Old 10-31-20, 05:06 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

My biggest concern right now is the wind noise coming from the panoramic sunroof. It’s REALLY bad - to the point that I was checking the windows and sunroof controls to make sure everything was closed properly. The car does have roof racks, which does appear to be the culprit, but until the racks are removed (they don’t have the “key” for the Buick/Thule racks), I’d be hesitant to pull the trigger.
You're probably right about the roof rack being the culprit. It's a big one that sticks up pretty high. Seems like it should fix the noise problem.
Old 10-31-20, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Roof racks can indeed cause wind noise. I remember that being a problem on some versions of the former Subaru Outback Sport.
Old 10-31-20, 09:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

looks like an aftermarket huge roof rack too, and kinda fugly... sorry.

yes, once you can drive it with it taken off you'll have your answer.
Old 10-31-20, 10:17 PM
stasek
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks like an aftermarket huge roof rack too, and kinda fugly... sorry.

yes, once you can drive it with it taken off you'll have your answer.
The roof rack actually has Buick and Thule markings on it, but the problem remains - need tot take it off to verify it’s causing the wind noise. Or... I just buy it and bug the Buick dealer for fix.... decisions, decisions...
Old 11-01-20, 01:50 AM
98sscamaro
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When first glancing at the pic on my phone I thought it was a Volvo. Had no idea it was a Buick. Lol. Looks pretty good. 👍
Old 11-01-20, 03:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98sscamaro
When first glancing at the pic on my phone I thought it was a Volvo. Had no idea it was a Buick. Lol. Looks pretty good. 👍

It's actually a rebadged Opel-designed Insignia Grand Tourer.
Old 11-01-20, 06:01 AM
damienqc
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You are getting what it seems a made in Germany Opel Insignia. Opel has a good image in Europe; the brand is perceived as a bit more bland than BMW/Audi/Mercedes but it is seen being reliable and solid. Too bad the Regal has been discontinued in Canada.

Quick Reply: Hell is about to freeze over....