Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what large vehicle would you buy? Any brand

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-20 | 12:59 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Default what large vehicle would you buy? Any brand

I need suggestions - family is growing and we feel the LX is getting smaller. Had a LX in the house / sometimes 2 at the same time for last 15 years and I love that car. We do a-lot of interstate trips and outdoor activities. Just came back from a west virgina trip near the mountains in a Cabin. Some of these places have no paved roads, remote camping/cabins etc.

Lx has been great taking us pretty much anywhere and getting out safely regardless of the weather. Have a large cargo box that I can put on top if we need to travel 2000 miles out and back. It helps but with 3 kids who are growing its getting smaller inside the car.

I thought about mini vans and while the interior space is great not sure they can take us to places where we go, I strongly considered a TRD sequoia but the interior is very dated, more road noise- no front camera but feel similar. I did drive a suburban and was pretty good cargo/ interior wise but I don't know if I like it enough to own and drive it comfortably for 1000 miles.

Figured I would ask the CL family for advice.
Old 11-03-20 | 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Since you are already familiar with many of the available choices right now (and have mentioned a number of them above), you might want to wait and take a close-up look at the upcoming Jeep Grand Wagoneer when it is released. We had an ongoing Car Chat thread about the Wagoneer not long ago.

It looks like it will probably be large enough for your family, and, being a Jeep product, it will have at least some off-road credentials and be able to tackle those dirt/gravel/unimproved roads you mention in West Virginia.

FCA products are not known for reliability, but sometimes have a log warranty to compensate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-03-20 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-03-20 | 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Whereabouts in WV were you?

Yeah the LX is not big, I can see why you would be wanting more space. Whats your price range?

I would look at an Expedition or if you want luxury, a Navigator. WAY bigger than the LX inside, also drives better. I have not driven the latest GM SUVs but compared to the outgoing ones the Expedition and Navigator are way better.

I'm from southern WV, I spend a lot of time there, the Pacifica gets us almost everywhere. Now it comes in AWD, and really that will get you to any cabin or campsite.
Old 11-03-20 | 02:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I would look at the Navigator or the new Escalade if you are looking in the LX price range.
Old 11-03-20 | 02:49 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

I like the new GMC Yukon a lot...always liked these big GM SUVs and felt that they executed these better than anyone else on the market. I had one as a rental (previous gen) a few years ago and really enjoyed how smooth and capable it was (although the new Ford big SUVs are supposed to be nice as well).

If you can swing it, not too many other companies have GM's world class magna-ride technology. On a big vehicle like this, that can make a very big difference in ride quality without sacrificing handling (believe it comes standard on the Denali version below).

https://www.cars.com/articles/good-g...-yukon-429068/

Last edited by rosskoss; 11-03-20 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-03-20 | 02:57 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

If SUV I would buy a SRT Hellcat Durango or maybe a GC or X7.

Truck a Escalade/Tahoe or TRX/limited and to be honest a LX570 or a sequoia with a supercharger added on. G wagon if you have the cash

Thats just what I like personally though
Old 11-03-20 | 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

GC is smaller than what he has, and the Durango isnt any bigger. The X7 is bigger, but I don't think its big enough. G Wagen is way smaller than an LX.
Old 11-03-20 | 04:05 PM
Hoovey689

These would be my choices. Plenty of room, good powertrain choices, technology / feature laden
BMW X7
Ford Expedition
Lincoln Navigator

These are a little bit smaller but not small by any means, drive beautifully, and both are more attractive than their larger stable mates
BMW X5
Lincoln Aviator
Old 11-03-20 | 04:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZ214
I need suggestions - family is growing and we feel the LX is getting smaller. Had a LX in the house / sometimes 2 at the same time for last 15 years and I love that car. We do a-lot of interstate trips and outdoor activities. Just came back from a west virgina trip near the mountains in a Cabin. Some of these places have no paved roads, remote camping/cabins etc.

Lx has been great taking us pretty much anywhere and getting out safely regardless of the weather. Have a large cargo box that I can put on top if we need to travel 2000 miles out and back. It helps but with 3 kids who are growing its getting smaller inside the car.

I thought about mini vans and while the interior space is great not sure they can take us to places where we go, I strongly considered a TRD sequoia but the interior is very dated, more road noise- no front camera but feel similar. I did drive a suburban and was pretty good cargo/ interior wise but I don't know if I like it enough to own and drive it comfortably for 1000 miles.

Figured I would ask the CL family for advice.
NISSAN Armada.
Old 11-03-20 | 06:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I love the X7 M50i and would have mentioned it but it is smaller than my Durango so I think the OP would want something bigger. It is a great SUV though and on my short list for next year.
Old 11-03-20 | 06:40 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

GLS 450/580, QX80, Escalade/Yukon//Suburban/Tahoe, would probably where I'd start...
Old 11-03-20 | 07:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
GLS 450/580, QX80, Escalade/Yukon//Suburban/Tahoe, would probably where I'd start...
certainly a wide variety of $$$ there... the gls580 will set you back 6 figures. Granted so can a loaded new esclalade.

Old 11-03-20 | 07:35 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
certainly a wide variety of $$$ there... the gls580 will set you back 6 figures. Granted so can a loaded new esclalade.
OP wasn't very specific with a price range, new/used, etc... :P My buddy was recently looking at Escalades and Yukon Denalis and said they were all priced $85K+ (Navigator is right there,too) so the GLS580 wouldn't be a huge stretch; if it is, that's where the GLS 450 would become an option...
Old 11-03-20 | 07:42 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

we were near monongahela national forest-cabin some dirt roads first time going to that area, next time I will probably do mountain biking there. price range same as new LX. I have 8k on mine right now; did a lot of traveling in the 2015 I had. I need to check out the navigator maybe even expedition luxury version. I was told by one of my friends that I we need to fit in these rural areas can't be driving fancy SUVs. I dunno if he was joking or serious. I drove the X7 here and there, my friend has it I helped him negotiate a deal and went to few test drives with him. I like the way it drives very much much does not seem much larger from inside. I don't like suburban as much, mpg is way better than a LX but it drives and handles like its gonna flip over. I drove it way slower than I drive the LX.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Whereabouts in WV were you?

Yeah the LX is not big, I can see why you would be wanting more space. Whats your price range?

I would look at an Expedition or if you want luxury, a Navigator. WAY bigger than the LX inside, also drives better. I have not driven the latest GM SUVs but compared to the outgoing ones the Expedition and Navigator are way better.

I'm from southern WV, I spend a lot of time there, the Pacifica gets us almost everywhere. Now it comes in AWD, and really that will get you to any cabin or campsite.
Old 11-03-20 | 07:47 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

this looks very nice, I am so spoiled by no nonsense LX built. I have had ZERO issues with them (lx470 -06/ lx570 08/ LX570 15 and new LX570) maybe more than 500k miles between them.
Scared to go to a GM product from reliability stand point

Quick Reply: what large vehicle would you buy? Any brand