Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Volkswagen Golf R

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
GTI is what you are thinking of with traditional plaid seats

GT-R is Nissan

Yes, I deleted the post...that was my error.
Old 11-04-20, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
GTI is what you are thinking of with traditional plaid seats

GT-R is Nissan

Yes, thanks...my error. I had already caught that, and was already deleting it when you responded.
Old 11-04-20, 04:12 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Sets the blueprint for this class. While this doesnt interest me and I also dislike the front, I respect it and love that they still offer a manual.
Old 11-04-20, 09:03 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Just read the actual VW press release. A bit annoying that they're only offering the Golf R fully loaded in the US, so it includes all kinds of things like a sunroof which I would rather not have (even as a no-cost delete).

Haven't seen anything about ventilated seats, either. People were hyping that up a lot for the Mk8.
Old 11-05-20, 05:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Just read the actual VW press release. A bit annoying that they're only offering the Golf R fully loaded in the US, so it includes all kinds of things like a sunroof which I would rather not have (even as a no-cost delete).

Haven't seen anything about ventilated seats, either. People were hyping that up a lot for the Mk8.
Agreed, only 15 years ago one could buy a German car stripped, but with the performance underpinnings. remember the term, "Wolf in sheep's clothing."

Now, often we look at a car starting at 45k, and by the time it's equipped, it's another 20k.

Every one of our cars has a moonroof. On the SUV, it really serves no purpose, it's so small. I actually thought fully opened, maybe as a safety precaution it only opened 1/2 of the way, when we first got it. I admit I will open it on the LS430, but not on the other cars. First world problems...it's like tilt/telescope wheel. Again, all 4 cars have it. NEVER USE IT. But with the LS, the telescope motor gets sticky after 10+ years and then we either have to pull the fuse, or have the dealer code it out when ignition off, etc. Mechanical would have been better.
Old 11-05-20, 07:21 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

The R model has always been fully loaded, even going all the way back to the Mk4 R32. That, combined with gradually eliminating choices (Mk6 was available in 2 or 4 door, and with or without a technology package) has enabled them to keep the price basically flat. Part of that is using just a single shell. For the Mk7, the R was based on the eGolf body, which was exclusively a 4-door with no moonroof. Apparently for the Mk8 they've chosen a shell that does include a moonroof. There is no Mk8 eGolf anywhere, and no more base Golf in North America, so I actually wonder if the moonroof will be standard on the GTI, meaning they'll have only one body for the entire western hemisphere.

Last edited by geko29; 11-05-20 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-05-20, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Agreed, only 15 years ago one could buy a German car stripped, but with the performance underpinnings. remember the term, "Wolf in sheep's clothing."
Did that phrase come from the Wolfsburg assembly plant?

Old 11-05-20, 10:34 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The R model has always been fully loaded, even going all the way back to the Mk4 R32. That, combined with gradually eliminating choices (Mk6 was available in 2 or 4 door, and with or without a technology package)...
We have different definitions of fully loaded then. To me the existence of a tech package means not fully loaded. The Mk7 Golf R was also not fully loaded as standard; it had the base trim and then the suspension/nav trim which had a driver assistance package option on top of that. The base trim was eliminated for Mk7.5.

In other markets, the Mk8 R will likely have options too. There is already a performance trim announced for Europe.

Last edited by gengar; 11-05-20 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-06-20, 12:30 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,882 Likes on 1,960 Posts

We have different definitions of fully loaded then. To me the existence of a tech package means not fully loaded. The Mk7 Golf R was also not fully loaded as standard; it had the base trim and then the suspension/nav trim which had a driver assistance package option on top of that. The base trim was eliminated for Mk7.5.

In other markets, the Mk8 R will likely have options too. There is already a performance trim announced for Europe.
As long as the sunroof as either optional or not available on the R, I am happy. In order to get a loaded GTI, one has to get a sunroof, and... I hate it. Mine is always making random noises, and the sun shade mechanism gets stuck often. Overall I wish I didn't have a sunroof. Really sad.

On the Mk7/7.5 R, a sunroof isn't even available in the US, so hopefully the Mk8 will follow suit.