Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This is why I did not get a new Lexus ES.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-20, 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's the problem...past versions of the ES (particularly the 4Gen) WERE different (and better) to drive than a Camry....until Lexus decided to cost-cut and cheapen them. Back then, they were more deserving of the Lexus nameplate.

Of course, to some extent, the same could be said of the superb 3Gen Camry of the early/mid-90s. It is not the same car today as it was back then, either.
Mike, I have owned two ES sedans and still own one. Back in 2003, the 2003 Camry drove almost exactly like the 2003 ES I ultimately bought, which is not a shock at all since they are basically the exact same car. There is no less different about a 2020 ES compared to a 2020 Avalon than there was a 2003 ES vs a high spec 2003 Camry. In fact, in 2003 the center stack infotainment part was the EXACT same part.

I just don't get it. We like the same things in cars, and I just have no idea where you're coming from here. I usually see your point in things, but I just dont see it here

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
ES 250 LUXURY AWD
ES 250 ULTRA LUXURY AWD
ES 350 LUXURY
ES 350 ULTRA LUXURY

hmmmm......
Sure, its an entry level luxury car. ENTRY LEVEL. Its not an LS. I was 100% satisfied with my two ES sedans, which I bought because I couldn't afford an LS and I accepted that they were not an LS. When I was able to afford an LS....I bought an LS.

Issue is people think every Lexus should be like an LS or LC, well go drive a 3 series BMW or a C Class MB and compare them to a 7 or S Class. If anything I think the ES measures up better compared to the LS than those cars do compared to their higher end cars.

I did sample the latest Avalon...thought it was significant improvement on the ES's road-manners, particularly with the 55-series tires. I did consider an Avalon, BTW....but ultimately decided that the crowds weren't all converting to crossovers for nothing....and, as I explained in earlier threads, decided a vehicle that size was just too big for my present needs.
I drove the latest Avalon back to back with a 2020 ES helping my buddy decide on one. They drive nearly identical.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I don't think Lexus has any "explaining to do" -it's a great looking, great riding, great priced entry luxury car. if you don't like the vehicle, or it doesn't fit your personal expectations of luxury, or have some mental trauma that it's based on the same platform as a Toyota Avalon, don't buy it, lol. Simple as that.
If you are somebody who wants a full sized luxury car and a luxury ownership experience and can only afford or only want to pay for a car in the $40k range, the Lexus ES is tough to beat. It was the perfect car for me at that point in my life, and I really enjoyed both my 2003, which I put 170,000 miles on and my 2010 which I only had for 3 years.

The Genesis G80 is a better car, its RWD and built to a higher standard but you have to compromise on the brand and ownership experience.

Compared to my 2003, the 2020's material are a little less rich in a couple areas, but it has so much more equipment and drives great.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-07-20 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-07-20, 02:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
In fact, in 2003 the center stack infotainment part was the EXACT same part.
I looked it up, you're right exact same unit never knew that. And as far as I could tell from the picture the logo was below it on the dash surround not on the unit itself so didn't have to worry about branding.

All this talk about the ES makes me want to drive one, I've driven pretty much every previous generation.
Old 11-07-20, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I just don't get it. We like the same things in cars, and I just have no idea where you're coming from here. I usually see your point in things, but I just dont see it here
Well, if you don't understand how I explained it, I'll let the article do the talking.

Many drivers got behind the wheel of the Lexus ES expecting to enjoy premium materials, cutting-edge technologies, and thrilling performance. After all, driving a luxury car is supposed to be a serene experience. However, some were left disappointed, as the Lexus ES left them distracted, uncomfortable, or concerned.

One KBB reviewer said, “Prior to my purchase of the 2020 ES 350, I owned a 2015 Hyundai Azera. Would you believe that the Lexus has little over the Hyundai? My main complaint is the level of wind and road noise.”

^^^^That was my main complaint
also....road manners, although I wasn't that impressed with the interior.
Old 11-07-20, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm well-aware that there are people here that disagree wth me (even Dave), and I respect their view. But I can only report what my own eyes and senses tell me when I drive something.
Old 11-07-20, 02:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I looked it up, you're right exact same unit never knew that. And as far as I could tell from the picture the logo was below it on the dash surround not on the unit itself so didn't have to worry about branding.

All this talk about the ES makes me want to drive one, I've driven pretty much every previous generation.
Yep, exact same part. You should drive one...it drives like an ES lol.

Well, if you don't understand how I explained it, I'll let the article do the talking.

^^^^That was my main complaint also....road manners, although I wasn't that impressed with the interior.
That article is not a review, they are just reporting KBB driver reviews, its a clickbait article.

I understand what you are saying, I just completely disagree (as everybody else seems to). My take on those KBB reviews is their expectation of the car was not set properly. Its not a luxury car, it doesn't compare to an LS or a 5 Series or an E Class or even a GS, it feels like a nice Toyota, which an Avalon also feels like, so does a high spec V6 Camry. But, that's the thing...that's what the ES has always felt like!

The great thing about the ES has always been you get an E Class SIZED car for the cost of a C Class, but it does not feel like an E Class, which is a much more expensive and sophisticated car.
Old 11-07-20, 02:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

I'm well-aware that there are people here that disagree wth me (even Dave), and I respect their view. But I can only report what my own eyes and senses tell me when I drive something.
That's why I want to drive one. You drive and look at way more vehicles than I ever will so I'm going to assume you have a good sense and feel of what is refined, quiet etc. I'm curious what my impressions would be.
Old 11-07-20, 02:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's why I want to drive one. You drive and look at way more vehicles than I ever will so I'm going to assume you have a good sense and feel of what is refined, quiet etc. I'm curious what my impressions would be.
I agree, which is why his opinion on this car is so strange to me. Because every other time he and I both drive a car...we agree.
Old 11-07-20, 03:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I was just looking over Car and Driver's review of the 19 ES350. Here are some snippets about noise, ride, and handling.

What's more, this 2019 model builds on its predecessors' characteristically crypt-like cabin silence by blocking even more external noise from its occupants' ears. We recorded a mere 67 decibels of muted wind and road noise at a steady 70 mph—one decibel lower than a previous-generation ES350 and one higher than in a current Mercedes-Benz S450.
Hints that the ES350 is trying to move beyond grandma-schlepping duty percolate from unexpected corners. Indeed, the only metric in which the Lexus isn't quieter than its predecessor is when its engine is being heavily worked; the 2-decibel increase in wide-open throttle noise is no bad thing, as the 302-hp 3.5 V-6 sings in silken rumbles.
Similarly impressive is the ES's supple ride quality, which is as soft, comfortable, and appreciated as before. Only now, that isolation is joined by competent behavior when the Lexus is asked to do more than waft down a potholed street. The ES350 no longer bounds around softly when the steering wheel is turned. It doesn't lean much when changing direction. It simply handles itself stoically when prodded by its pilot, the steering responding crisply to inputs without fuss.
Full article here.

So I, too, am a bit surprised when an article complains about it being noisy.
Old 11-07-20, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Keep in mind that the version I had the most complaints with was with 45-series tires. The 55s are a definite improvement.
Old 11-07-20, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My LS has 45 series tires, rides incredibly. 45 series tires are not very low profile.

My buddy's 2016 ES has the 18s which are 45 series, and it rides great.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Similarly impressive is the ES's supple ride quality, which is as soft, comfortable, and appreciated as before. Only now, that isolation is joined by competent behavior when the Lexus is asked to do more than waft down a potholed street. The ES350 no longer bounds around softly when the steering wheel is turned. It doesn't lean much when changing direction. It simply handles itself stoically when prodded by its pilot, the steering responding crisply to inputs without fuss.
This was why I enjoyed the way my 2010 ES drove more than my 2003 ES, still rode great but more dynamic and better to drive.
Old 11-07-20, 04:05 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Issue is people think every Lexus should be like an LS or LC, well go drive a 3 series BMW or a C Class MB and compare them to a 7 or S Class. If anything I think the ES measures up better compared to the LS than those cars do compared to their higher end cars.
The underpinnings and powertrains of a 3 Series or C-Class are far more advanced than an ES. That is what you are paying for, along with the driving dynamics that come with that class of vehicle. Considering Lexus itself has the IS to answer those vehicles, I don't see how they are relevant to the ES. In fact, the IS is even less luxurious than the competition and doesn't offer real leather. The priorities of an IS and ES buyer don't overlap the same way like the ES and GS.
Old 11-07-20, 04:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
The underpinnings and powertrains of a 3 Series or C-Class are far more advanced than an ES. That is what you are paying for, along with the driving dynamics that come with that class of vehicle. Considering Lexus itself has the IS to answer those vehicles, I don't see how they are relevant to the ES. In fact, the IS is even less luxurious than the competition and doesn't offer real leather. The priorities of an IS and ES buyer don't overlap the same way like the ES and GS.
I totally get that, but its all what you want. The ES offers the size, scale and comfort in exchange for those underpinnings and powertrains. Personally, I would buy an ES over a 3 or C any day of the week. The comparison to the 3 Series and C Class is simply a cost comparison.
Old 11-07-20, 05:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

I sense a little envy from the OP. Quite strange we are being informed of why someone didn’t buy a certain model.

At least the Lexus still offers a sedan, with hood struts, a smooth V6, a 4 year warranty, none of that stupid start-stop stuff you can’t turn off.
Old 11-07-20, 05:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I sense a little envy from the OP. Quite strange we are being informed of why someone didn’t buy a certain model.

At least the Lexus still offers a sedan, with hood struts, a smooth V6, a 4 year warranty, none of that stupid start-stop stuff you can’t turn off.
Plus, it's assembled in the USA.
Old 11-07-20, 05:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Plus, it's assembled in the USA.
.....good one.

Quick Reply: This is why I did not get a new Lexus ES.