Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This is why I did not get a new Lexus ES.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20 | 04:56 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
That's completely wrong. Prior to the LS500, the LS was very much an S-Class and 7-Series type luxury limo-type vehicle. Now it's having an identity crisis as to whether it wants to be a Panamera or an S-Class. It's failing because it tried to be different and compromised itself as a result.
Wrong. The 400 and 430 were never really considered the limo type vehicles due to the lack of a long wheelbase model. It wasn't until the 460L came along that it was more directly comparable. That was the entire point of Lexus bringing the L version. The 400 and 430 were very often referred to as Japanese Buicks. They were successful because they offered a different answer to the luxury car question.

That's one heck of a contrarian opinion if I've ever seen one. The E-Class can be equipped with air suspension and is designed to be silent up to Autobahn speeds. The ES is nowhere near the smoothness and refinement of an E-Class. It's only advantage is that it's cheaper and has a larger cabin, which is a formula that appeals only to American audiences.
And none of that disqualifies it from being considered an entry level luxury car.

An E-Class will not be sporty unless you get an AMG. It's certainly better handling than an ES, but just because it handles better than the FWD nose-heavy ES doesn't make it a sports sedan.
For a 4-door sedan, it ride and handling certainly is considered more "sporty". The one I was in was not as smooth as the ES over rough road.

This analogy makes zero sense and is a complete contradiction to the history of the LS. The LS was such a marvel of a car that it was compared to Bentley's, not just mere S-Class's. It is not a Camry/Avalon with more leather and NVH material like the ES. Comparable to Cadillac? The LS400 humiliated Cadillac to such an extent that GM claimed that it was physically impossible for them to build a vehicle on that level at the time of its release.
Well, that's the way many S and 7 owners looked at it. As a soul-less appliance. Buyers decided otherwise because those soul-stirring qualities of the S and 7 were not as appealing as the package and price the LS offered. They proved that the only definition of luxury wasn't what BMW and Mercedes decided.

Sales is a weak argument. The ES sells well because it's cheap and spacious. But so is a Camry- which is why the Camry outsells the ES by multiples.
It's marketed as entry-level luxury under a luxury brand, and it sells very well. Consumers decide.

I don't disagree about engine refinement, but there's also nothing refined about the torque steer of an ES and being unable to put all that power down without the front wheels spinning and the traction control going bananas. And quite frankly, unlike the flagship segment that the LS is in, most consumers opt for a 4-cylinder over a 6-cylinder in the midsize executive segment. That's why Lexus was completely confident releasing the ES as a 4-banger with AWD. I would bet that the 4-banger outsells the V6.
I doubt that, but we will see. I wonder if the E with the 4 cylinder outsells the i6. Either way, consumers decide what is entry level luxury, not the Germans.
Old 11-09-20 | 06:16 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

There's no use for me to argue with so much misinformation and conjecture.
Old 11-09-20 | 06:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Wrong. The 400 and 430 were never really considered the limo type vehicles due to the lack of a long wheelbase model. It wasn't until the 460L came along that it was more directly comparable. That was the entire point of Lexus bringing the L version. The 400 and 430 were very often referred to as Japanese Buicks. They were successful because they offered a different answer to the luxury car question.
This really isnt the case. The LS was always compared alongside the S and 7 and XJ and sometimes the A8 in magazine comparisons, and when we were shopping for both the LS400 and LS430 new we absolutely considered both the S Class and the 7 Series, although both of those cars were clearly upgrades to the LS they were definitely seen as competitors.
Old 11-09-20 | 07:30 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

There's no use for me to argue with so much misinformation and conjecture.
It's not conjecture. The ES is an entry level luxury car. Period. That's not up for debate. It's not an E or 5, but it doesn't have to be.
Old 11-09-20 | 07:39 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This really isnt the case. The LS was always compared alongside the S and 7 and XJ and sometimes the A8 in magazine comparisons, and when we were shopping for both the LS400 and LS430 new we absolutely considered both the S Class and the 7 Series, although both of those cars were clearly upgrades to the LS they were definitely seen as competitors.
Of course they were. That's exactly my point.

Most see the E and the 5 as an upgrade from the ES, but that doesn't dismiss the ES as an entry level luxury sedan. Many people said the same thing about the original LS. You had to meet the standards of the S and 7 to be a competitor in the market, and the LS vert quickly proved them wrong.
Old 11-09-20 | 07:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I agree with you. This is a Lexus forum, the majority here (even if they were too young), should know the 4 goals that the F1 project had, when it began in 1983. They basically set out to build the world's best car. When the LS400 came out in fall 1989, BMW accused Toyota Motor of selling them below cost. Talk about a compliment. Maybe, it's not possible to repeat fall 1989. My hunch way too much competition, and way too much access to information now. The top universities accepted 19% of applicants when I attended. Not everyone was perfect, you had clowns like myself. Today? Acceptance < 5% and every attendee is perfect in every way.
Old 11-09-20 | 08:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of course they were. That's exactly my point.

Most see the E and the 5 as an upgrade from the ES, but that doesn't dismiss the ES as an entry level luxury sedan. Many people said the same thing about the original LS. You had to meet the standards of the S and 7 to be a competitor in the market, and the LS vert quickly proved them wrong.
The LS did meet the standards of the S and 7 though, it was just a little smaller. Remember too that when the LS400 and 430 were out, there was a SWB 7 that was similar in size, and eventually a SWB S Class too. The ES doesnt meet the standards of the E and 5. That doesnt mean the ES isnt a great car for the money, it is but the analogy of the LS vs the 7 and S Class doesnt hold up.
Old 11-09-20 | 08:23 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

The LS didn't just meet the standards of the S and 7, it flew past them and redefined the standard for the entire segment. It did everything the S and 7 did and then some. This claim that the LS400 was made in the same vein as the Camry platform-sharing ES is complete revisionist history.
Old 11-09-20 | 08:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

The LS didn't just meet the standards of the S and 7, it flew past them and redefined the standard for the entire segment. It did everything the S and 7 did and then some. This claim that the LS400 was made in the same vein as the Camry platform-sharing ES is complete revisionist history.
It's a shame that nothing coming out today is quite like the 1990 model. Heck, BMW can't even build a 3 anymore that can be on the top 10 list, where it sat for 24 consecutive years. Its last year may have been 2013 or 2012. We consumers at times want the best, and what we're paying big dollars for is run of the mill.
Old 11-09-20 | 08:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First, Lexus Hybrids have the start-stop feature...I may be wrong, but I don't think it can be overridden.
You are correct that the start/stop feature on a hybrid cannot be overriden, but you can't really compare how it works to a start/stop system in a non-hybrid.

In a hybrid, you don't have to wait for the engine to fire back up to get going, as you get started on electric power. I've driven several conventional ICE vehicles with start/stop, and am yet to find one that fires up as smoothly as it does on a hybrid. For example, on my father-in-law's Durango, the system drives me absolutely crazy. I think it takes too long to fire back up when you are ready to get going, and it's not smooth at all. Whereas in our Highlander Hybrid, I don't even notice it.
Old 11-09-20 | 09:12 AM
Lead Lap

The only ground breaking products from Lexus were the original LS and SC and second gen IS. They were truely ahead of their times.

Old 11-09-20 | 09:25 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
It's a shame that nothing coming out today is quite like the 1990 model.
It's thanks to the LS400 that V8s are now seen as a segment standard for full-size flagship luxury sedans, back in an era when everything was either a 6-cylinder or V12. How ironic that the LS500 would be the first in its segment to drop the V8.
Old 11-09-20 | 11:13 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Not true. It didn't "fly past" their standard. It created a new standard. S and 7 owners looked down on it because it was slower, smaller, didn't handle as well, and just a "Toyota". Because it WAS a Toyota in Japan. Even coming with cloth seats. (gasp)

But it was quieter and offered a very cushy ride. It also more reliable and more affordable. Buyer decide those things were more important and redefined the big luxury segment. They didn't say it wasn't a luxury car because it wasn't an S or 7, and they didn't dismiss it by saying it was cheaper and should sell a ton of them because they are cheaper.

The ES is absolutely a valid entry level luxury car. So what if it built off the Avalon platform. So what if it isn't the same answer that MB and BMW came up with. Buyers don't care, and they decide, just as they did with the LS in 1990. If there is anything to argue, it's that the E and 5 are no longer entry level luxury, since both MB and BMW offer cheaper cars and the prices have jump on both those cars.

Old 11-09-20 | 11:16 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

S and 7 owners looked down on it because it was slower, smaller, didn't handle as well
This is borderline trolling. I'm going to stop responding to you in this thread if you continue this absurd revisionist narrative.
Old 11-09-20 | 12:43 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

I had the new ES for about 2 weeks when my RX was in shop getting wok done. I liked the ES a lot, it was quick, looked good and the interior was very inviting too. I drove it around and enjoyed it. It looked like a mini LS. I even recommended one to my neighbor who came to check my New car out. He liked it as well. I think its a much better buy than a Avalon.

Quick Reply: This is why I did not get a new Lexus ES.